Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 08:07:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMagic of Autumn - A conjured card game! (Now available on Steam!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Magic of Autumn - A conjured card game! (Now available on Steam!)  (Read 3113 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 12:28:47 PM »

Hi,

... I think that the tool tips are also the shape of cards is kind of confusing: what about having the card flip over when you hover it so you can see the top on the other side rather than next to it?

I second this idea! I would make for a rather more intuitive UI, I think. ^_^

On another note, is there any chance of a Linux build? I'm interested in playing one of the newer builds, but I really don't want to restart the computer and boot into Windows in order to do so...

Zuurix
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2019, 01:28:34 PM »

So you guys want this -

Instead of this -

- When the cursor is over a card?

The game will have a Linux build, but you'll have to wait until the Steam release.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 01:37:06 PM by Zuurix » Logged
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2019, 03:23:26 PM »

So you guys want this -

I don't claim to speak for michaelplzno, but that's what I have in mind, indeed! ^_^

The game will have a Linux build, but you'll have to wait until the Steam release.

Ahh, fair enough. I don't buy or download on Steam these days, so I'll skip it there--but I may still boot into Windows at some stage to try one of these new builds.

(On which note: Have you considered putting this on itch.io, too?)

Red Phantom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2019, 09:30:56 PM »

So you guys want this -
Instead of this -
- When the cursor is over a card?

The answer is yes Zuurix, that new change is a lot better!

Zuurix
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2019, 11:51:17 PM »

On which note: Have you considered putting this on itch.io, too?

No, it won't be on Itch.io
Zuurix
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2019, 06:27:35 AM »

Updated the test version!

+ Improved map circles.
+ Combat background is now animated.
+ Changed card tooltip position.
+ Minor UI improvements.
+ Minor graphical improvements.
+ Minor bug fixes.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2019, 06:13:56 PM »

No, it won't be on Itch.io

Ah, that's a pity, but so it goes. Fair enough!

Based on the update-posts, it looks like the game is coming along nicely. ^_^

Red Phantom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2019, 09:06:51 PM »

Ok I just played version 0.9.9 and here's some advice/feedback:
- Teleportation doesn't work second time
- In battle mode, show the number of cards left in the deck. e.g. cards left in deck: 8/12
- Show the player's position on the map if you can figure out of to program it
- The map might be better with straight edges - which is more accurate - instead of big circle dots.

Zuurix
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2019, 04:45:45 AM »

Making a new trailer - feedback would be very appreciated =]

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2019, 12:03:36 PM »

Overall, I like it (and that painted backdrop is rather lovely)! ^_^

A few thoughts:
  • Perhaps start with the hook of recovering one's soul, and of that being the reason for the visit to the island. That might better intrigue viewers at the outset.
    • (That said, I think that I like the positioning of the "lore" section near the end of the trailer; I'm not recommending moving that!)
  • That first section, set against the painted backdrop, could perhaps use a little bit of movement so that it feels a little less static.
    • For example, I might suggest either a slow zoom, or some autumnal leaves blowing about.
  • The card-game section felt a little long for a trailer, to me. As a viewer, I likely don't need to see much of the game--just enough to get an idea of how it plays, and whether I'm interested in it.

Zuurix
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2019, 08:45:59 AM »

Overall, I like it (and that painted backdrop is rather lovely)! ^_^

A few thoughts:
  • Perhaps start with the hook of recovering one's soul, and of that being the reason for the visit to the island. That might better intrigue viewers at the outset.
    • (That said, I think that I like the positioning of the "lore" section near the end of the trailer; I'm not recommending moving that!)
  • That first section, set against the painted backdrop, could perhaps use a little bit of movement so that it feels a little less static.
    • For example, I might suggest either a slow zoom, or some autumnal leaves blowing about.
  • The card-game section felt a little long for a trailer, to me. As a viewer, I likely don't need to see much of the game--just enough to get an idea of how it plays, and whether I'm interested in it.

Something like that? =]

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2019, 11:05:53 AM »

Hmm... I think that it's an improvement, but could still be bettered:

• In that introduction, I might suggest opening with the most dramatic element--the theft of the soul--and then following it with the intriguing element--the exploration of the island. Grab the viewer from the first moments!
    • Maybe something like: "Your soul has been stolen" [text fades out] "Hidden from you somewhere on the mystical Golden Apple Island" (Better wording left to you. ;P)
  • In the card-battle, I might suggest dropping the middle section (the "Leaves in the Wind vs Maple" bit)--it doesn't look to me like it conveys much that the section just after it doesn't.
  • Similarly, I might cut the "draw or generate warmth" frames--they flash by distractingly fast, and it's a detail that might not be required in a trailer, I suspect.
  • I feel like some of the text could be made more evocative. "Winning card fights" sounds reasonably fun--but "defeating glyph-wards with your cards" both sounds fun and conveys that sense of confronting mystical foes in magical combat, to me.

(Edit: By the way, my critique of your trailer's opening led me to do the same with my own; I want to put out a new version of it with a better opening hook, I think!)

Zuurix
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2019, 03:36:52 AM »

In that introduction, I might suggest opening with the most dramatic element--the theft of the soul--and then following it with the intriguing element--the exploration of the island. Grab the viewer from the first moments!

Maybe something like: "Your soul has been stolen" [text fades out] "Hidden from you somewhere on the mystical Golden Apple Island" (Better wording left to you. ;P)

Hmm, yes, the beginning is the critical moment. That's why I'd rather keep it very short and try to get to the actual recordings as fast as possible.

As for card fight bit, I'm re-doing it entirely based on this and other feedback. Hopefully will be able to show it in a few hours from this post.

By the way, my critique of your trailer's opening led me to do the same with my own; I want to put out a new version of it with a better opening hook, I think!

Glad I helped Wink
Zuurix
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2019, 08:38:02 AM »

I'm going to use this one:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »

Since you're going with this version, I won't critique further, but simply say: I do think that this version is an improvement. Good luck! I hope that trailer and game alike are received well. ^_^

Zuurix
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2019, 07:57:11 AM »

I decided to improve UI.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2019, 09:22:02 AM »

I think that it looks good. ^_^

I'll admit that I liked the grainy, more-colourful borders previously used for selected cards, but this works too, I think. I do like the addition of a "close" button to the deck-building screen, and having the exploration-environment as a backdrop to the combat.

Zuurix
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2019, 01:35:15 PM »

The new borders should hit the balance between being too noisy and barely noticeable.
It's quite a challenge to make UI that isn't tiring to the eyes for this game, thanks to the artstyle, font choice, and colors.

I'm worried that UI and battle backgrounds are too dark. Unfortunately, decreases the alpha even a bit makes it very noisy. Still, it's an improvement, so I guess I should be happy.

Thanks for feedback =]
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2019, 08:36:22 AM »

The new borders should hit the balance between being too noisy and barely noticeable.

Fair enough! I didn't find the old borders to be too noisy myself, as I recall--but if others did, then it does indeed seem like a good idea to change them.

I'm worried that UI and battle backgrounds are too dark. Unfortunately, decreases the alpha even a bit makes it very noisy.

Ah, I see what you mean. Hmm... Have you tried using a colour other than black/dark grey for the semi-transparent overlay? For example, have you tried using a mid-grey overlay with the same alpha-value?

Thanks for feedback =]

It's my pleasure. ^_^

Zuurix
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2019, 04:14:52 AM »

Steam page is now live!

Add Magic of Autumn to your wishlist >>

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic