Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1366236 Posts in 64017 Topics- by 55908 Members - Latest Member: Stano28

September 19, 2019, 04:00:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTen Days to War - Beta playtesting, need feedback!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ten Days to War - Beta playtesting, need feedback!  (Read 873 times)
ZeroByter
Level 0

Video games are cool, making them is even more fun

View Profile WWW
« on: August 28, 2019, 12:07:53 AM »

I have been hard at work on 'Ten Days to War' for the past 2-3 months, and if all goes well I plan to release it on Steam on the 16 30th of September.

You can download a copy of the game here to playtest and provide bug reports and feedback.

How to submit feedback?
You can report feedback on here, on my website, or directly through the game by clicking the 'report feedback' button at the top-right.

Download (with Unity console enabled to debug error exceptions): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m8Sr5kAwJAGTxYplUqIRQ9s2dPd-aCJp
Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1144060/Ten_Days_to_War/
Devlog: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=67987

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:24:37 PM by ZeroByter » Logged
Deckhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 03:51:49 AM »

I just did a play through and hit the feedback button a ton of times.

Primarily:
  • I think the framerate was really low
  • It wasn't immediately clear I could drag to move the orders out of the way
  • The text when the guys are talking to you is really slow to come out. Maybe a result of the frame-rate but shouldn't be tied to the framerate anyway.
  • It wasn't clear straight away that assigning guys in those first three missions would make them unavailable in the other two missions. So, I thought I was executing three missions with the same guys, but instead it started some of the missions with no one in it? I think...
  • Then the next turn I just got a game-over. There was no feedback or signal from the game that I was doing poorly. I'm not exactly sure why I lost the game? This maybe a bug because the missions were inadvertently started with no one in them?

Some good stuff
  • I like the music; though I think the track can be longer
  • The art is good. It's simply, and I like it.
  • Even though the text was slow to come out, I like the effect of the paper-type-writer kind of aesthetic.
  • Likewise planning things out on the chalkboard is cool. The aesthetic gives you that real early-mid 90's spies

Some other bits
  • Would be cool if the guys walked around a little, maybe even with different speech bubbles depending on what they are talking about (I'm thinking like the Sims a bit)
  • Would be interesting to have a little more happen during the turns. The first day just seemed like I was waiting for it to end. I was supposed to retrieve guns from the stash, but I don't know how to do that.

ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 12:44:48 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it!
Did you get any error exceptions in the console while you played?

• I'm looking at my website and I am not seeing any submitted feedback, and I just tested this through my computer and my feedback gets through fine so I looked around a bit but could not find a smoking gun as to why your in-game feedback did not get through, even the website logs say every request got status code 200, so I'm not sure. All I did change was now the game will send feedback through 'http' instead of 'https' because maybe that's the problem. (even though my website has SSL, so I don't know...)
  • I'm not sure about the low framerate, the game is not doing any insane calculations every second and I checked the Unity Profiler and everything is getting calculated in less than 10-20ms so I don't know. What are your specs? Maybe you were running background-intensive programs while playing?
  • I'll change the day #1 orders text to clear up some of the less obvious things things
  • Executing a mission with no agents on it is definitely a bug, as well as getting a 'game over' so soon. I'll look into.

Would be cool if the guys walked around a little, maybe even with different speech bubbles depending on what they are talking about (I'm thinking like the Sims a bit)

Yeah, I'll look into adding that

Would be interesting to have a little more happen during the turns. The first day just seemed like I was waiting for it to end. I was supposed to retrieve guns from the stash, but I don't know how to do that.

This is something I was worried about since a long time ago, and like I said I'll make sure to clear up the non-obvious stuff.

New game download link will be available shortly!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:54:10 AM by ZeroByter » Logged
Deckhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 02:50:34 AM »

If it helps, my ID from statistics_id.txt is
Code:
zmDyKnbNjrnbJXTjhHuIfW

In case it's useful, here's my stats_log.txt file as well.

Code:
[date & time]: [name of parameter]=[value of parameter]8/29/2019 9:25:18 PM: 0_Agent William=7.1172338/29/2019 9:26:49 PM: 0_Agent Charles=13.135048/29/2019 9:26:53 PM: turn0=275.9098/29/2019 9:30:53 PM: 1_Special Agent Gregory=126.29988/29/2019 9:31:48 PM: 1_Agent Charles=49.106328/29/2019 9:32:42 PM: 1_Agent Kyle=42.877088/29/2019 9:35:35 PM: 1_Agent William=81.499698/29/2019 9:36:27 PM: turn1=446.69988/29/2019 9:37:19 PM: turn2=51.2378/29/2019 9:38:15 PM: turn3=54.54018/29/2019 9:40:12 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.YellowRockTarget_False_0=16.199958/29/2019 9:40:28 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.MosquitoTarget_False_0=7.6000378/29/2019 9:40:30 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.MockwaterTarget_False_0=1.0999768/29/2019 9:40:33 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.YellowRockTarget_False_0=16.199958/29/2019 9:40:36 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.MockwaterTarget_False_0=1.0999768/29/2019 9:41:05 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.MosquitoTarget_False_0=7.6000378/29/2019 9:41:22 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.MockwaterTarget_False_0=1.0999768/29/2019 9:41:28 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.MosquitoTarget_False_0=7.6000378/29/2019 9:41:34 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.YellowRockTarget_False_0=16.199958/29/2019 9:41:36 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.MosquitoTarget_False_0=7.6000378/29/2019 9:41:37 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.MockwaterTarget_False_0=1.0999768/29/2019 9:42:16 PM: turn4=142.91688/29/2019 9:42:24 PM: turn5=7.5946668/29/2019 9:42:28 PM: turn6=3.2041638/29/2019 9:43:37 PM: turn7=58.707528/29/2019 9:43:37 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.YellowRockTarget_False_0=16.199958/29/2019 9:43:37 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.MosquitoTarget_False_0=7.6000378/29/2019 9:43:37 PM: planning_ZeroByterGames.TenDaysToWar.Game.Data.Targets.MockwaterTarget_False_0=1.099976

I just tried running it again with an FPS program overlay. Save game was stuck in game over screen and there was no way to start a new game. I found the save files and deleted them. The game runs at about 30fps, but when I'm talking to the guys it drops down to 8fps.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 03:02:16 AM by Deckhead » Logged

ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 03:46:55 AM »

I did receive your stats_logs.txt stuff, just not the feedback stuff.

Pro tip: You can open the console by pressing the tilde key (`) and typing 'save_clearall' to automatically clear every save file. (although if you do this from the main menu the 'load saves' menu won't update.

I'll also look more into what I can optimize in the dialogue code, as well as the general code.
ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 06:56:25 AM »

I have been working down the 'todo list' from the stuff you mentioned, I still haven't gotten around to optimizing the code, more descriptive talk bubbles, getting agents to walk around, and fixing the mission planning bug.

However, I hope I have fixed the 'provide feedback' form bug, and at the moment that is the most important thing I need to have working in order to get accurate feedback from testers.

Here is an updated download link of the game: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nNtCCi8heVvWofhSYlu4vCHsDOFRkf9q
Please download it and try to send feedback through the 'submit feedback' form and let me know if it works.

Thanks!
ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 10:16:09 AM »

I ran the game on my laptop with the profiler attached and I do indeed see the problem. While the game is idle I am getting 60 fps, but when I drag paper around & talk with agents the problem gets worse. I'll see what I can do about this and will probably have a solution in a day or two.

EDIT: I have identified & implemented a fix for the 'moving paper' lag bug. Turns out I was calling `rect.position = newPosition` which is apparently very expensive instead of simply `transform.position = newPosition` which is relatively much cheaper (I was able to get consistent 60fps while moving the paper around).

I have still not been able to find any obvious lag while the game was idle, but I'll keep looking tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure I have also found the solution for the lag in the agent's dialogue chat thing, but I'll implement that tomorrow.

Where else do you specially experience lag?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 10:37:30 AM by ZeroByter » Logged
Deckhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 12:21:48 AM »

Only paper dragging and dialog. In idle I dont think there was any lag. I should mention that I'm using the same toastwr I develop my own game on. It's a MS Surface Pro, a 2 or 3. Definitely not a gaming laptop, but should still be expected to play a game like yours with no problems.

I'll try your new build hopefully later today.

Deckhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 02:35:49 AM »

I just downloaded the 0.2 version and tried again and submitted some more feedback:
  • The frame rate seems improved. But even then, I think the text should come out faster when talking to the agents, or at least let me click or press spacebar to have all the text appear straight away
  • While I'm waiting for Day 2, I'm not really sure what's happening in all these turns for Day 1. Should I be doing something?
  • I assigned a full team to two of the three missions. After that I clicked next turn, the console reported an error (sent a screenshot), and nothing happened. So I pressed it twice more and then the game over screen came up.

ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 04:03:04 AM »

How many times did you submit feedback? I only got one feedback.

• Version 0.2 didn't actually optimize the agent dialogue text, but that has already been fixed for 0.21. And yeah, I think being able to skip the text is a good idea.
  • The idea is to talk to the agents, manage the inventory, etc.
  • Sadly without the error message I can't really debug the problem. Sad

EDIT: I think I fixed the feedback stuff now? It's incredibly difficult for me to test since both on my work PC and my laptop this works without issue, so I'll try to figure out based on what you guys report here on the forums.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 08:00:56 AM by ZeroByter » Logged
ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 11:13:13 AM »

Here is version 0.21: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v8SpJGit_ssXYJWej8CEQn6-wOypoh6F

• Some more optimizations
  • Started work on getting agents to roam around the apartment, although its not actually implemented yet
  • Added a 'sticky note' to the 'day #1' orders paper
  • and most importantly... added better error messages for when trying to upload feedback to my website. Now, when the request will fail, it will say so in the console and if it happens to you, please manually take a screenshot and upload it to here so I can find out what's the problem.
Deckhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 12:29:29 PM »

sent two test feedback messages. Let me know if you get both and then I'll start going through the new 0.21. There were no error messages logged when sending the feedback.

ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »

Yep, I got them both, so maybe hopefully this feedback system will finally work!
Deckhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 02:25:18 AM »

Okay, so I had another go. Get to day two, assign a full team to the first two mission and execute them. Go to move to the next turn and after I clicked, the game froze then crashed to desktop. No console errors.

Is there a log that you need?

ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 11:49:00 AM »

Okay, so I had another go. Get to day two, assign a full team to the first two mission and execute them. Go to move to the next turn and after I clicked, the game froze then crashed to desktop. No console errors.

Is there a log that you need?

Thanks for playtesting! It's very valuable to me. And I did get your feedback and I'll implement the fixes.
The crash log should be here: C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\CompanyName\ProductName\Player.log
I would love to see it.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I went through your feedback and everything is fixed, but I am not ready to release v0.23 yet because I am currently working on making the agents 'move' through the apartment like you suggested and it's taking a little time, I'll probably get it finished by tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 12:11:35 PM by ZeroByter » Logged
ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 05:55:43 AM »

Version 0.23 is here!

• Added agents walking around the apartment every few seconds.
  • More bug fixes
  • Optimizations
  • Added a 'conversations' limit to each turn. Meaning that each turn, the player can only speak with three agents, until he moves on to the next turn, at which point he can speak to move agents. I added this to add difficulty/strategy to the game, which will force the player to decide which agents he should speak with more urgently than others.
jbarrios
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 12:02:33 PM »

Hey ZeroByter,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 02:23:13 AM »

Hey ZeroByter,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

Hey! Thanks for playing my game and sharing your experience! I think watching you play the game as you try to do things greatly helps me figure out what to change and improve.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears you have played on a little older version of the game, right?

And finally, from watching your video I can clearly see what needs to be changed/made more clear. Thank you!
ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 02:52:43 AM »

Version 0.24 is here!

• Made more clear in the 'day #1 orders' prompt that new targets/missions will arrive in day #2
  • Fixed some stuff/items in the apartment being hidden.
  • Fixed bug where for some reason the game's save folder wouldn't create (this is sort of Unity's fault but whatever...)
  • Fixed some more bugs and cool stuff like that.
  • I also experimented with adding each agent's name above their head for easy identification of who's who, but I decided that would make the screen too clustered and messy.

I just want to say I appreciate every piece of feedback and suggestion! I would very much like for this game to be fun & playable when it's released rather than messy and uninteresting. So please give the game a try, submit your feedback, and share with as many friends as possible! Smiley
ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 06:01:55 AM »

Version v0.25 (no script-debugging this time)

• Fixed a bug where agents would walk around the apartment way too frequently and the apartment would become way too chaotic.
  • Added new agent portrait pictures
  • More bug fixes
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 11:34:38 AM by ZeroByter » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic