Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:43:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTen Days to War - Beta playtesting, need feedback!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Ten Days to War - Beta playtesting, need feedback!  (Read 2523 times)
ZeroByter
Level 0

Video games are cool, making them is even more fun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 11:33:48 AM »

About the lag-when-dragging-paper bug:
I have investigated this issue in depth and I have found the cause of the problem.
I first suspected this bug was a non-issue when I observed that the bug did not occur in the Unity editor but only in the game build. That was an initial clue as to the source of the problem.

I investigated the game code down to every function call but could not find any heavy-use function or code.

The problem was that I have been building the game with 'script debugging' enabled, which means every function call is debugged. Moving the paper involves a lot of function calls (non-heavy functions), meaning the game would lag. I have updated the v0.25 link to a game build that has script-debugging turned off.

Errors should still debug to the console, but the game will be without mysterious, game-build only lag.

New download link to version v0.25, with script-debugging turned off.
Deckhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2019, 03:07:58 AM »

I used version .25. Runs super smooth now.

However, I got the same bug as I have since the first version.

https://file.io/bDR28R

Let me know if there's any other logs I can get?

ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 05:28:21 AM »

I used version .25. Runs super smooth now.

However, I got the same bug as I have since the first version.

https://file.io/bDR28R

Let me know if there's any other logs I can get?

Bad picture link leads to a 404, can you reupload the file? Or maybe do you still have the correct link saved somewhere?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 05:40:33 AM by ZeroByter » Logged
ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 06:14:15 AM »

Okay, thanks to submitted feedback I was able to reproduce & fix the null-reference exception when clicking 'next turn'.

Here is version v0.25a

(I named this version v0.25a instead of v0.26 cause it's really just a small hotfix and game developers just make up version numbers)
ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2019, 11:56:15 AM »

Here is version v0.26!

• Added new feature: Before a sudden game-end would trigger (such as 'negligent behavior' or 'too much suspicion'), a randomly selected agent would approach the player and warn him of the danger so that the player could avoid triggering the game end.
  • Fixed bug where game saves wouldn't save
  • Fixed bug where agents would both try and walk to the same place
  • Improved tooltip when hovering over agent. Now tooltip describes vaguely how well the agent is doing.
  • Fixed agents walking in front of blackboard while it is being viewed by the player
  • After player 'clicks to skip' appearing dialogue text while talking to an agent, for half a second player will be blocked from clicking on the text options to avoid miss-clicking (player can still select a 'speech option' by pressing any of the numerical keys on the keyboard)
  • Fixed bug where agents would both try and walk to the same place
ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »

Version v0.27 is here!

Added:
  • When trying to open 'inventory management' paper while it's already open, existing open will simply move back to the center instead of doing nothing.
  • At the start of the game, the 'inventory' button at the bottom of the docking area will flash in order to indicate to the player he should manage the inventory.
  • Finally fixed elusive/annoying bug that sometimes caused game-crashes & null reference errors which was caused by executing a mission which had an agent that was also in a different mission plan at the same time. This caused a infinite-recursive loop somewhere in the code and has been fixed.
  • When opening 'inventory management' paper, fixed highlight bar being partially open and then immediately closing

Obviously, I can't guarantee there won't be any more null-reference exceptions and crashes.
But if not now, then I hope that in the near future we will be able to get rid of all bugs and focus on adjusting/improving the actual gameplay.

I say 'we' because I can't mention this enough: I am dependent on amazing playtesters like you to find and fix bugs and also to improve gameplay, so thank you everyone who have helped me so far!
ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 11:51:54 AM »

Here comes version v0.27a!

This minor hotfix update finally fixed a null-reference exception that sometimes occurred when clicking 'next-turn' while there were active missions going on.
This was a difficult bug to diagnose and detect because it was hard to reproduce and detect, but I finally figured it out Smiley
ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2019, 03:51:35 AM »

The tutorial version: v0.28

For this version, following some feedback, I added a short tutorial for the first two turns of the game which covers retrieving items from the 'secret stash', requesting reinforcements, and sending a tired agent on vacation.

Originally I planned to have the tutorial last 4 turns, but I got everything covered in the first 2 so I plan to add an easy, 2-turn long bonus mission which the player can choose to execute or not. The bonus-mission will take part in turns 3-4 and although a little risky, it could help the player in the long term.

Please give the tutorial a shot, and let me know if it helps in learning how to play the game, and if not then what should be changed!

Thanks!
ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2019, 05:46:08 AM »

Version v0.29

• Fixed bug in tutorial where '#' would appear at the end of text.
  • Implemented Steam achievements and statistics (not really relevant at the moment, but still)
  • Made missions last two turns instead of one (now agents take 1-2 turns to go to the mission, plus 1-2 agents to execute, but after that immediately return to the apartment). This was done in order to make more room time-wise to fit in more varied and fun content to spice up the gameplay.
  • Fixed bug where agents would not warn player of increased suspicion against the team.
  • Removed suspicion-leveled music and added a lot more brand new background music to avoid repetitive music.
  • Players can talk to any strategist agent in the apartment to ask him if he thinks the authorities are on to the team, this will let the player know how close the authorities are to capturing the team.
  • Added 'bonus missions' which help the player in the long-run. So far, there is only one that starts at turn #3 and if successful, it further decreases the amount of suspicion every turn.
  • Data collection warning prompt no longer opens on default when launching the game, and can now instead be accessed with a button in the main menu.

My main concern has now shifted from fixing bugs to improving gameplay. I want to make sure my game will be actually, you know, fun to play!
Like I said in the patch-notes above, I'm working on new ideas to spice up the gameplay and add variety to the missions and other stuff. Let me know if you have any cool ideas!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:13:24 AM by ZeroByter » Logged
ZeroByter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2019, 05:14:16 AM »

Version v0.3

For this update I just simply fixed some more, relatively small/minor bugs.

• Tutorial window doesn't close after the end of the tutorial.
  • Fixed annoying 'beep' sound when opening the game.
  • Fixed game over warnings showing over and over again.
  • Fixed bug where 'negligent behavior' game over warning was ignored.
  • Fixed multiple bugs that have to do with how a bonus mission is displayed on the black board.
  • Hopefully finally fixed NullReferenceException when starting new turn. I'll explain why this particular bug is so hard and difficult to debug and fix in more detail if anyone is interested.
  • Fixed bug where the tutorial get's stuck if you open a prompt paper before the tutorial asks you to. Now the tutorial simply skips ahead if you already opened prompt instead of disabling the prompt until it is asked for in order to not slow down repeat/fast players.
  • Fixed bug where mission-related text would repeat itself infinitely after the mission was already finished.
  • Added a glow around the 'flip page to the right' button in the manage inventory prompt to show new players how to interact with the prompt.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic