Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1366180 Posts in 64016 Topics- by 55902 Members - Latest Member: BlueSoft Tech

September 18, 2019, 06:21:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallA Door to the Mists--Demo released!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Door to the Mists--Demo released!  (Read 313 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2019, 07:04:57 AM »

"Adventure is my path"

The demo of A Door to the Mists has just been released! :D
(Some bugs may yet remain in it.)

TIGSource devlog:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=57649

Download links:
(Hosted on IndieDB)
Windows 64-bit Build
Linux 64-bit Build

Press kit:
https://www.indiedb.com/games/a-door-to-the-mists/presskit

In short:
Traversal, Puzzles, and Combat in a Heroic-Fantasy Setting

Description:
An adventurer with a yearning to explore the inaccessible, misty world of magic hears a tale of a door that opens onto that world, located in a lost city; she embarks on a journey to discover the city and its door, and enter the mist-world. In her journey she will climb, explore, discover, and fight through desolate and dangerous places, seeking out the threads that might lead her to A Door to the Mists.

A few screenshots:

Videos:

Traversal, exploration, puzzles, and combat in a heroic-fantasy setting
Website ~ Twitter
Thaumaturge
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 07:32:40 PM »

A new build of the demo has been uploaded!

This build fixes a major issue in which the game would crash after the first screen when running under Windows, as well as addressing a few other matters.

Get it from the same link as given before. That should be found above--but for the sake of convenience, let me link it here, too:

Windows 64-bit Build | Linux 64-bit Build

Updates in this build:
  • The crash observed when leaving the first screen under Windows should now be fixed!
  • Made the tutorial-traversal a little clearer and simpler. (Hopefully!)
  • Added an indicative title to the lore-screen that's accessed from the main menu.
  • Logging should now work properly.
    • The log-file should be found in the game's "app-data" directory:
      • Under Windows, this should be "Users/<user-name>/AppData/Local/ADoorToTheMists/"
      • Under Linux, this should be "<home>/.local/share/ADoorToTheMists"
  • Fixed a bug that could result in a crash if the player entered combat while a conversation was ongoing.

Website ~ Twitter
RealScaniX
Level 1

ScaniX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »

I just briefly played the demo. Here is some feedback in no particular order:

- Why would anyone jump down into a dark hole and AFTERWARDS tie a rope to the upper ledge? :D
(I didn't see it in the inventory before)
- The UI / Text is scaled wrongly in high resolution. Half of the textboxes in the intro are outside of the screen and cannot be read. I'm playing in 4k with a scaling of 200% in Win 10.
- It crashed for me when I tried to climb up the rope
- After changing the resolution in the main menu, the cursor was restricted to a portion of the screen, so I could not click on any button anymore
- The menu looks great, though. I like the background and the cool mist effect behind the buttons.

Fun / Retro / Arcade
Twitter | Itch.io | Gamejolt | Discord
Thaumaturge
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 11:55:42 AM »

I just briefly played the demo. Here is some feedback in no particular order:

Thank you very much for the feedback! It's very much appreciated! ^_^

- Why would anyone jump down into a dark hole and AFTERWARDS tie a rope to the upper ledge? :D
(I didn't see it in the inventory before)

Hah, if I recall correctly, the ropes were just a means to let the player out of the pyramid. They aren't intended to show up after that. ^^;

But you do have that rock near the hole by which to sound it, at least. Wink

- The UI / Text is scaled wrongly in high resolution. Half of the textboxes in the intro are outside of the screen and cannot be read. I'm playing in 4k with a scaling of 200% in Win 10.

Ah, that's a pity! If I may ask, what resolution were you using, precisely, and what is the effect of that "scaling" that you describe? (I'm not familiar with that feature--or Windows 10 in general, for that matter.)

- It crashed for me when I tried to climb up the rope

Oof, that's distressing! Could you give me your logfile, please, so that I can see whether there's useful error output in it? (Presuming that you haven't run the game since the crash, which would have overwritten the file.)

- After changing the resolution in the main menu, the cursor was restricted to a portion of the screen, so I could not click on any button anymore

That's a new one to me! Could it be related to that "scaling" that you previously mentioned? I might have to ask after that on the engine's forum...

- The menu looks great, though. I like the background and the cool mist effect behind the buttons.

Thank you very much indeed!

I'm really sorry that you've encountered such problems as you've described--I haven't seen those ones before! :/

(Well, aside from the mysterious appearance and timing of the rope. I'm aware of that one. ;P)

Website ~ Twitter
RealScaniX
Level 1

ScaniX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 12:56:13 PM »

Well, I have found the logfile, but it only says:
Known pipe types:
  wglGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
:Actor(warning): Cannot control joint head

I am running the game in 4k, 3840x2160. And the scaling is a window option to scale all fonts etc. up as they would be too tiny in 100%. That value is set to 200%.
This isn't the first game or application that has problems with that, although it is a standard mechanism. I guess not enough people are running 4k, yet. Smiley

I played a bit further. The rope crash is not consistently reproducable for me. I was able to climb it this time. In the fight tutorial when it says: Press A or D to dodge and he starts to attack from above, I pressed A, but was still hit. It felt as if I should have dodged it by moving left. Smiley
The block mechanism is easy to understand and easy to recognize by the visuals, but the distance that you have to move the mouse to get from one block direction to another varies as the mouse isn't restricted and the direction just relies on the mouse position on the screen. I think that can be improved by restricting the mouse more to the center of the screen and react to the movement direction only. Just an idea. Smiley

Fun / Retro / Arcade
Thaumaturge
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 03:06:59 PM »

Well, I have found the logfile, but it only says:
Known pipe types:
  wglGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
:Actor(warning): Cannot control joint head

Ah, it's a pity that it doesn't have more. If you don't mind, could you tell me what you had done, and how far you had gotten, when the crash occurred? (Which rope you were climbing, whether you'd solved the button-puzzle, etc.) I want to try to reproduce the issue on my end--if I can do that, I may well be able to figure out what's causing it! (And if I can't reproduce it, perhaps a bit more information might point me to the culprit--perhaps I'm doing something silly in the level-script, or something.)

I am running the game in 4k, 3840x2160. And the scaling is a window option to scale all fonts etc. up as they would be too tiny in 100%. That value is set to 200%.
This isn't the first game or application that has problems with that, although it is a standard mechanism. I guess not enough people are running 4k, yet. Smiley

I don't think that my monitors are even capable of running that resolution. o_o;

Hum--I think that I should ask after this on the game-engine's forum: I don't think that it's something that I'm doing in my own code--and if it is, someone on that forum might point out to me what I'm doing wrong!

I played a bit further. The rope crash is not consistently reproducable for me. I was able to climb it this time.

Ah, I'm glad that you were able to proceed, at least!

In the fight tutorial when it says: Press A or D to dodge and he starts to attack from above, I pressed A, but was still hit. It felt as if I should have dodged it by moving left. Smiley

Hmm... I wonder whether that's a matter of my hit-detection being off, or because my combat mechanic doesn't use I-frames?

(To elaborate on the latter point: dodging works by getting you out of the way of an incoming attack. If the timing of the dodge is off, you do still get hit.)

Or a tutorial issue, perhaps? Maybe I should slow those first attacks a little, to give the player more time to respond...?

The block mechanism is easy to understand and easy to recognize by the visuals, but the distance that you have to move the mouse to get from one block direction to another varies as the mouse isn't restricted and the direction just relies on the mouse position on the screen. I think that can be improved by restricting the mouse more to the center of the screen and react to the movement direction only. Just an idea. Smiley

That's a really interesting idea--I think that I'll try that, thank you! :D

Website ~ Twitter
RealScaniX
Level 1

ScaniX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 12:52:06 AM »

Rope of mistrust: I just tried to get back up to the top of the pyramid after accidentally, but intentionally falling in. That was the crash. Didn't happen a second time. I kinda pounced it to get back up. Still don't know how to activate "climb". Smiley

I don't know what system you are using. Most do have a scaling feature for texts etc. (DPI). You don't need a higher resolution probably, just increase that value to test. If it's only occurring on windows, then do a small executable with only some text box tests. I would offer to test that.

About the dodge: I will check it out later again, but I kinda remember it as being almost instantly after the tutorial text box and my character didn't move at all. Probably I need to press A to close the box, then A again to actually move.

Fun / Retro / Arcade
Thaumaturge
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 11:03:57 AM »

Rope of mistrust:

Heh, I like this name! ^_^

I just tried to get back up to the top of the pyramid after accidentally, but intentionally falling in. That was the crash. Didn't happen a second time. I kinda pounced it to get back up.

Ah, interesting! That gives me a narrower set of actions to try--thank you for that! ^_^

Still don't know how to activate "climb". Smiley

Heh, in general, just hold the "jump" key while in the air (i.e. not on the ground, a rope, or a ladder). If you are in the air because you jumped, you needn't release the key (unless you want to avoid climbing something in-between). If you come within range of something that you can climb, you should automatically climb it.

I think that there is at least one case in which releasing the key and pressing it again is called for, which is possibly a bug--but I don't think that I've seen that occur when dealing with the rope in the prologue level.

I don't know what system you are using. Most do have a scaling feature for texts etc. (DPI). You don't need a higher resolution probably, just increase that value to test. If it's only occurring on windows, then do a small executable with only some text box tests. I would offer to test that.

I brought up the matter on the engine's forum, and it looks like support for that scaling factor is still somewhat under discussion. From what I gather, the question of how the engine is to respond to such things isn't a simple one. :/

That said, I've just realised that the issue of text-box placement may not be related to your "scaling" value, or use of a high-definition display: I was reminded just a little while before posting this that something similar has been reported to happen under some aspect ratios, and in non-high-definition, I gather.

Thus the text-box placement is indeed a bug for me to fix, it seems!

To which end, what aspect ratio were you using, if I may ask?

As to the problem of the mouse being confined to a small part of the screen, it looks like this is a bug in the engine; I believe that they've filed an issue for it on their GitHub page.

About the dodge: I will check it out later again, but I kinda remember it as being almost instantly after the tutorial text box and my character didn't move at all. Probably I need to press A to close the box, then A again to actually move.

You say that you use "A" to close the box? Are you using a gamepad, by any chance? If so, I think that the dodge controls should be connected to whatever you have mapped to character-movement, rather than whatever you have mapped to performing actions.

And just to check: you weren't out of stamina, were you?

That said, I have been thinking about how I tutorialise this element. I haven't yet settled on anything, but I'm thinking about having a box that pauses the fight and explicitly requires that the player press a "dodge" key--upon which it would continue the fight and enact the dodge immediately.

Website ~ Twitter
RealScaniX
Level 1

ScaniX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 11:23:15 AM »

To which end, what aspect ratio were you using, if I may ask?
Standard 16:9, like in normal Full HD (1920x1080). It is exactly twice the width and height.

You say that you use "A" to close the box? Are you using a gamepad, by any chance? If so, I think that the dodge controls should be connected to whatever you have mapped to character-movement, rather than whatever you have mapped to performing actions.

And just to check: you weren't out of stamina, were you?

That said, I have been thinking about how I tutorialise this element. I haven't yet settled on anything, but I'm thinking about having a box that pauses the fight and explicitly requires that the player press a "dodge" key--upon which it would continue the fight and enact the dodge immediately.
I would have to play it again to answer those questions. I was playing with keyboard and (if I remember correctly) "A" was used to dodge to the left.
Waiting for the relevant key to be pressed in the tutorial is the right way to do this, I guess. Smiley

Fun / Retro / Arcade
Thaumaturge
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 09:37:45 AM »

Standard 16:9, like in normal Full HD (1920x1080). It is exactly twice the width and height.

That's odd--someone else tried it, and only reported having trouble in a 3:2 aspect ratio, I believe--even on an HD display with a scaling factor set. Hmm... This may call for further investigation on my part. Thank you for the information!

I would have to play it again to answer those questions. I was playing with keyboard and (if I remember correctly) "A" was used to dodge to the left.

Yup, "A" would be correct for a keyboard setup, I believe--I was just confused because you referred to using "A" to close the tutorial!

Waiting for the relevant key to be pressed in the tutorial is the right way to do this, I guess. Smiley

I think that it's likely what I'll do, indeed! ^_^

Thank you for your patience and answers! ^_^

Website ~ Twitter
RealScaniX
Level 1

ScaniX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 01:09:01 PM »

You're welcome!

This is what it looks like BTW:

Fun / Retro / Arcade
Thaumaturge
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 09:25:45 AM »

Aah, I see! Yeah, that's almost certainly the scaling--the text isn't supposed to be anywhere near that big!

That gives me a point of reference to work from--thank you. ^_^

Website ~ Twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic