Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1391885 Posts in 66873 Topics- by 59646 Members - Latest Member: BMB

May 11, 2021, 08:29:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPlatformer on the mega drive (for now)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Platformer on the mega drive (for now)  (Read 6469 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2021, 03:47:55 AM »

That's what intuitively I was going for but I'm not sure if this extra complexity would do the game any favors. Something to keep in mind.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2021, 01:14:57 PM »

I think I got the combat to an acceptable point now. In terms of mechanics, at least, it lacks impact and "juice", which will come with more permanent animations.

I still don't have a convenient way to get this playing in a browser, but here is a ROM if anyone wants to fire it up in an emulator and play around. I would love to hear any thoughts!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16TkYqu7Lb-55SsviA8v_LVhaa-F3ro4v/view?usp=sharing

Controls:
left right to move. Press C while running to jump. While standing and holding C, left and right do a side step, useful for combat, and up winds up a vertical jump. A parries an attack (it checks when you lift A), B attacks (you can only attack standing or at full speed for a stronger attack). Down ducks and you can climb down ledges if near one. Then there's wall running. This is a little tricky, but you need to run and jump just before reaching the wall. Wall jumping is implemented but it's still half baked and weird.

Prinsessa
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2021, 08:07:11 AM »

It runs! But I keep getting stuck here and no buttons work to get out. Sad

Bit difficult at the moment to tell how I'm doing in combat (successfully parrying/avoiding or not, getting hits in) since there seems to be little to no feedback but the movement feels good, the fact that you actually have to hold up until you're finished climbing is pretty nifty and prevents you from doing it on accident! Smiley Floor is so slippery tho! Cheesy

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2021, 09:12:40 AM »

Thank you so much for trying it and giving me this feedback! I understand this is really inconvenient, as it requires possibly downloading an emulator and whatnot.

It runs! But I keep getting stuck here and no buttons work to get out

Ooh that looks like a bug that should not be there! I'll try to reproduce it.

Bit difficult at the moment to tell how I'm doing in combat (successfully parrying/avoiding or not, getting hits in) since there seems to be little to no feedback
The current feedback is super subtle indeed. The player sprite just adds an "ouch" text which is barely visible. I was putting off further investing in visual flourishes until I had the combat well established, but these flourishes are inevitably intertwined with the 'game feel' of combat.

but the movement feels good, the fact that you actually have to hold up until you're finished climbing is pretty nifty and prevents you from doing it on accident! Smiley Floor is so slippery tho! Cheesy

I'm happy you liked it! :D I think a small acceleration can be interesting to add challenge possibilities. You can add 'speed gates' by simply making gaps and reducing floor to pick up speed.

Prinsessa
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2021, 11:12:29 AM »

No prob, had one already! c: It's impressive so far, good luck going further Coffee

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: Today at 03:47:18 PM »

I usually write here on Mondays because I can get the most work on weekends, but I had little to write about.

I addressed the lack of feedback on combat, and now hits make the target blink for a frame and there's some pushback too. Maybe once less temp animations are in place I can tone down the blinking, as it doesn't fit the quasi-cinematic platformer thing I'm going for. But we'll see.

The project is almost reaching that dangerous stage that kills most of my projects: the initial technical challenge is almost over and I have to start making difficult design decisions, each one eliminates an infinite world of possibilities, and that completely overwhelms me. I tend to freeze, unfortunately. So my hope is that I can deal with this in parts and not being afraid of making decisions.

Currently I'm getting the level system in place. As soon as that is ready I want to start working on a full blown metroid-like map. Will it work? I don't know and I don't care! I do care but the only way to find out is by doing it.

Still using LDtk editor. Writing my parser as I define things. Once this is done I'll write a technical log of the process.

My reflexes were pretty bad when I made this gif though. Got my butt kicked.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic