Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 10:49:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPlatformer on the mega drive (for now)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Author Topic: Platformer on the mega drive (for now)  (Read 29214 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2021, 03:01:56 AM »

I wonder if it could be as simple as having doors you can enter be open, and doors you can't enter (but enemies can come out of, with a brief open and close animation) be closed.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2021, 06:19:05 AM »

I wonder if it could be as simple as having doors you can enter be open, and doors you can't enter (but enemies can come out of, with a brief open and close animation) be closed.

Oh I like that!

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2021, 04:28:59 PM »

I only worked from Friday until now but I got a few things working. That refactor really did help things after all. In this gif, you can see guards coming out of that door and the player going through the opened door that leads to the second floor. No animations to ease these transitions for now so it looks a little weird. Also, the stairway door was improvised with existing tiles.

So this ticks all the boxes I set up to consider the proof of concept* minimally ready. I'm considering making this available for testers to give me feedback. The problem is that it's not a super intuitive game to play and there are no tutorials, so it needs a written manual to go along.

I myself have no idea how this plays anymore. I know the code inside out, I can run circles around the guards and move freely everywhere. I need fresh eyes.

I'm going to set up an itch io page. Stay tuned for a demo this week!  Beer!

*proof of concept of a few aspects of the game, like basic controls, combat, stealth, etc, but it still does not test the map structure and other higher-level gameplay elements.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2021, 12:22:35 AM »

That refactor really did help things after all.
Nice! Coffee
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2021, 04:12:36 PM »

Link to the prototype The password is "blastprocessing"

Any feedback would very welcome! all instructions there.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2021, 11:29:29 PM »

Just gave it a go. The physics is distinctly in the camp of platformers that I didn't play very much when I was younger, so it takes a bit of getting used to. But it already feels quite nice after that initial adjustment. Flows better than how I remember being frustrated with Flashback (not entirely sure about the acceleration/deceleration though, makes the player a bit floaty)

I do feel like sneaking around and exploring the world, so that's a good sign Smiley
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2021, 08:55:38 AM »

I do feel like sneaking around and exploring the world, so that's a good sign
Thanks for trying it out! Given the rawness of the demo, I appreciate your effort in seeing what I was trying to accomplish. Pretty much everyone who tried got stuck trying to assault the front door and complained about the combat, which is fair, the combat does suck a salty sausage at the moment. But I wanted more feedback on other aspects besides combat.

This is, of course, expected. I knew the demo was beyond raw and required a lot of imagination, and a lot of mind reading, but I also really needed some fresh eyes on it! It was nice seeing other people play it and share impressions.

Based on my feedback so far, I intend to:
- tweak the inertia a bit. I want him to hit the brakes faster.
- change combat mode to a toggle

If I were basing myself only on feedback I would work on combat and would start replacing temp animations with permanent. But I don't want to focus on that now. I think stealth needs more love now.

- I already have a light and shadow mechanic implemented, but not yet used. It needs to be clearly communicated with the background. So I'll update the demo with that.
- Crouching in mid to low light makes you invisible but guards should still be able to bump into you. Right? hmm.

With these extra refinements, if everything looks good, I will be ready to move onto phase 2: higher level gameplay elements, including non-linear map and, possibly, upgrades.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2021, 11:49:34 AM »

Here's me going through a pacifist route

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2021, 06:09:25 AM »

Looking good!
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2021, 03:19:48 PM »

Looking good!
Coffee

I feel like rambling!

Just finished those things on that list. Now what? I said I was going to start testing those other gameplay elements. Get a larger map with different areas that require backtracking and exploring etc.

However, maybe I should slow down on that front and fix some of those temp animations before they become an integral part of the game's visual, and I can't imagine the game without stick figures anymore. Maybe. Just to get it out of my system. Then I'm off to work on a tiny metroid prototype.

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2021, 12:06:27 AM »

Mysterious oracle label knows what you are doing. ^^

Looks very nice. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2021, 01:12:41 AM »

Yoooo... it's RealScaniX! Long time no see man! :D
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2021, 06:02:40 AM »

Yoooo... it's RealScaniX! Long time no see man! :D

Hehe, hi! I hope that I will post in my own thread soon, too. Smiley

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2021, 09:15:36 AM »

Scanscan!  Coffee

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2021, 11:28:10 AM »

Scanscan!  Coffee

Hi! Smiley
Good to see that you are still active (more than myself). Will check out your prototype this weekend. Smiley

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2021, 03:21:55 AM »

This was interesting. Sure took me back to a time when I played and loved flashback. Smiley
I think the controls using my xbox controller are still a bit misconfigured, but in general the controls work nicely.
Jumping in place feels oddly slower than jumping while moving, although the same gravity etc. should apply. Wink
Maybe it is for dramatic purpose or to show that he puts more energy into this jump, but he isn't actually jumping any higher than while running (visually).
Also the crouching state was a bit "sticky". I felt he should stand up and move or crawl instead of doing nothing until I pressed up to make him stand again. But this might just be an intermediate state.
The guards followed me and jumped down to the ground floor. I don't know if they can climb, otherwise they would never be able to get back to me (or their assigned guard position) ever again. ^^

Just my random thoughts from a brief playing session. Smiley

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2021, 08:34:03 AM »

Thanks for trying it!
I agree with all those comments, these are all things on my list of things to polish eventually.

bayersglassey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2021, 07:32:11 PM »

When I was looking for a job I replaced all the previous commit comments with professional looking ones. But I saved a screenshot

...I feel inspired to attempt to get a PR merged at my day job on Monday with an "asdpoi" commit.
bayersglassey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2021, 07:35:27 PM »

I really like how the character's current state is displayed, not in a static position e.g. at the top of the screen, but scattered about various "physical" locations in the level... presumably at places where you frequently playtest certain animations. Smiley

Also the animation is awesome. That cape... *swiiish*
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2021, 03:13:10 PM »

...I feel inspired to attempt to get a PR merged at my day job on Monday with an "asdpoi" commit.

Cheesy Very descriptive and helpful!

I really like how the character's current state is displayed, not in a static position e.g. at the top of the screen, but scattered about various "physical" locations in the level... presumably at places where you frequently playtest certain animations. Smiley

Also the animation is awesome. That cape... *swiiish*

Thanks! :D there's a lot of temp animation mixed in for now.
Those debug statements are floating around because of my laziness and some technicalities. They are written in the same plane as the platform layer but in a 'window pane' thing, which means even though it shares the same layer as tiles that are scrolling, the stuff inside this window pane will stay still. Then I removed the window pane, thinking it was a shortcut to remove all my debug messages, and the debug messages are now moving with the background! but the background keeps loading new tiles as it scrolls to make it look like new terrain, while the text just cycles back into view.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic