Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:36:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPlatformer on the mega drive (for now)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Platformer on the mega drive (for now)  (Read 29217 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2021, 02:27:00 AM »

Thanks for popping in! :D it was nice seeing someone there haha.
It was nice to see your actual face, haha. Also somehow relaxing while coding my own thing Smiley

Weirdly enough the viewers count remained at zero. Sometimes it stays at 1 when I'm pretty sure I'm alone. That thing is surprisingly unreliable. I mean, what are the challenges of making a viewer counter anyway?
You'd be surprised!

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2021, 05:31:02 AM »

Following this!

I'm super fascinated by the idea of developing for old hardware. Been kind of tempted to do it for the GB, one day.

Dig what's been shown so far!

Thanks, muki! I have the same fascination. Nowadays we have much better tools than back then, so it's a lot easier. I'm using SGDK which allows you to code in C and handles a lot of the hard work under the hood. If I'm not mistaken, GB has even better alternatives! Give it a try, and let me know if you start a devlog too.

Thanks for popping in! :D it was nice seeing someone there haha.
It was nice to see your actual face, haha. Also somehow relaxing while coding my own thing Smiley

If you want to stream too we could make something of a virtual workplace!  Coffee

You'd be surprised!
lol yes, I figured it was probably something like that. But it is still weird seeing it apply to counters that never go above 4.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2021, 12:47:22 PM »

Outlining the combat system now. I decided I don't want combat 'mode' like in prince of persia, because I want to make use of the normal movement to introduce combat maneuvers. This is what I have so far:

You can attack standing normally. Press a button and an attack comes out.

You can defend standing normally. Press a button and the defense animation plays. If you time the defense the enemy will be staggered for a moment. Nothing new so far.

But the player can run! and I remember one of the most fun things to do playing Mount&Blade was to strike on horseback, because the speed of the horse adds to your damage. So I want to be able to attack running and I want it to be stronger. This is why you won't be able to defend while running, to have some risk of doing this. I also want to add dodge roll by running and ducking instead of a dedicated 'roll' button. The intended use is for, when running for an attack, if you notice the opponent starting an attack that will hit you before your own, you can try rolling. And to be able to cross through the enemy if you want to avoid the fight.

I don't know how to deal with crouching yet. Can't find a good use in combat for it. Attack crouching? an alternative to parrying? I can't think of a great reason to keep crouch at all, besides that sprite looking really nice. Never underestimate the power of something trivial like that! I will go out of my way to crouch and look good in a game where crouching serves no real mechanical purpose.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2021, 04:07:15 PM »

Forgot to write down my to-do list:

Temp animations:
Player/guard taking damage with a little push back
player rolling

code/functionality:
player parry
enemy staggered after perfect parry
damage state, to run the animation and prevent action

Writing this now I notice one of the cons of not having a combat state like pop. It's conceivable the player might want to side step back and forth while fighting without turning his back to his opponent. Which brings me to another list of things to do: implement controls for combat.

I have 3 buttons and directions, so we have to make the most of it. B attacks. Run is the default, so maybe holding C and pressing a direction steps in that direction. Currently I have C for jumping, maybe I can make C+up jump straight up and C while running the normal jump I have right now.

Adding to functionality/code list:
player jump standing and the steps thing

temp animations:
player stepping back and forward.

Eh, guess this is it. I'll be streaming today. Hopefully I can finish this tiny list in an hour because that's the time I have. Also, I have a bloody nose so it will be extra goofy with some tissue sticking out of my nostril.

Nope. No streaming today Tongue

Actually, there will be streaming! who knows
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 04:30:15 PM by diegzumillo » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2021, 10:43:38 PM »

Streaming is in a quantum superposition
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2021, 03:50:42 AM »

Just like the viewer count.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2021, 05:35:46 AM »

"Streamed 1 hour ago", d'oh!! No No NO Game's looking good tho!! Sorry about the heat. Cry

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2021, 09:08:53 AM »

You missed out on some exciting IDE screen action! sometimes I even changed to a different tab, with different words on it!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2021, 11:03:04 AM »

Cry

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2021, 11:08:09 AM »

I'm about to stream again. My schedule is all over the place. I have an additional unexpected hour now! which might unexpectedly end short though. Maybe expectedly unexpectedly.

I'm about half way through my to-do list.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2021, 06:59:16 AM »

Welp, I'm no good at checking back here Cheesy I might watch the VOD in the background during work tomorrow if I have time!

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2021, 04:18:51 PM »

Combat is getting there. I finished my to-do list.

Right now it's not fun or pretty. But all the elements are in place. Next task is to tweak a million parameters until it's fun.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2021, 04:45:52 AM »

Looks like a funky dance at the moment Smiley
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2021, 12:46:14 AM »

Got around to watching the stream, even without sound it's actually really engaging, felt a lot of sympathy and recognition when I saw you realise that OUCH was blending in with the background colour Cheesy Cool to see your code too! Looks like you've got a nice setup to boot straight into the emulator.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2021, 06:38:44 AM »

haha thanks! I'm really glad you got some entertainment from this. I was so sure no one would I didn't put much effort in these streams. They do help me procrastinate a little less.

Maybe I should improve my setup a little. Get one of those ring lights so I'm not just a silhouette. The mic might be a problem because I share the office with the wife and I usually stream when the baby is sleeping next door, but some day that will change. Or so I'm told!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2021, 07:30:26 AM »

I feel like nobody would watch a programming stream unless they already know programming so most watchers can probably keep up as long as the title or wherever says roughly what you're working on so I wouldn't worry too much about the mic, but would be fun too of course Smiley

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2021, 12:50:10 PM »

This week was hard to find time to work but I made a few things. Combat is almost fun now. For now this is good enough so next week I will focus on stealth. Eventually we will see how these two elements play together.

I started using LDtk as my level editor and I am loving it! I was using Tiled, which is a great editor, but this one is working better for me. It's less general than Tiled, which allows for all sorts of 2D needs, and focus only on side view and top down. Has a pretty neat fully configurable auto tile system, export levels as png as well, and it saves the project as json. All in all really cool and useful. The workflow still has to make a quick stop on aseprite where I need to change the image to indexed and run a few scripts to handle priority tiles. But that can't be helped.

I don't have any cool gifs to show today.  Coffee

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2021, 01:53:16 PM »

People should just look through your twitch recordings Wink
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2021, 11:40:33 AM »

I forgot I was going for two visibility states visible/invisible and made a light gem (visibility meter) for 3 states. Maybe I should have both a light meter with the 3 states and a visibility that just goes off and red for visible and invisible.

The relation is simple (X invisible V visible):

shade   neutral   light
crouch   X        X        V
stand     X        V        V
moving   V        V        V

If I had 3 visibility states this would be a simple matrix too, but I don't think the extra complexity would help the game.
Would be something like
0 0 1
0 1 2
1 2 2

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2021, 12:54:38 PM »

The middle state could be "invisible until an enemy is (almost) on top of you", while the darkest state could be "always invisible"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic