Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:43:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[VR] CRT-X (Hotline Miami inspired FPS)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [VR] CRT-X (Hotline Miami inspired FPS)  (Read 3015 times)
Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2019, 08:34:59 PM »

Been working on this in my spare time. Long way to go... Going to blog in various forums to keep me motivated to finish it.

Not sure what to call it but it's a Hotline Miami inspired VR shooter.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 06:54:07 PM by Bino » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:53:21 AM »

vr increases player immersion but the concept of a duck either completing medical school or doctoral level postgraduate study breaks immersion. overall this game is currently breaking even on immersion. good luck.
Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 03:22:04 PM »

vr increases player immersion but the concept of a duck either completing medical school or doctoral level postgraduate study breaks immersion. overall this game is currently breaking even on immersion. good luck.

Thanks Superb Joe!

You know what... I reckon the name sucks too. Just not sure what to name this bad boy. Open for ideas.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 11:39:16 PM »

i don't think the name is necessarily bad i was just making conversation. as with babies, a name will come to you when it takes form, and hopefully before it starts pissing and shitting everywhere and demanding a drastic and immediate restructuring of your life.
Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 07:38:31 PM »

i don't think the name is necessarily bad i was just making conversation. as with babies, a name will come to you when it takes form, and hopefully before it starts pissing and shitting everywhere and demanding a drastic and immediate restructuring of your life.

Thought long and hard what Superb Joe said. I wasn't feeling the name the Dr. Lucky Duck. Changed the name and tweaked the style. I think I need to increase my productivity...

Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 08:27:23 PM »

Amongst other things, I've implemented kick today.

I think I've done enough experimentation with VR to see what works and what doesn't to start picking up pace. VR dev is quite the beast...

https://i.imgur.com/dNQ0RiI.mp4

Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 09:52:00 PM »

Spent some time optimizing the content. It's very easy for things to get out of hand in UE4. Cleaned up my Blueprints to not reference any other blueprints, utilized Async loading and pooled projectiles and emitters.

Next round of work will be for AI and get the gore to be a little more like Brutal Doom.

Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 03:45:05 PM »

Goldeneye64 animations

Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 09:50:50 PM »

Got a large chunk of the AI rewrite done. I've pretty much implemented http://dennaton.blogspot.com/2012/11/hotline-miami-ai.html except for melee which I started today.

Can't get melee to feel at home in VR. It's too janky for my liking. I need to move on so the player just gets a stabby stabby knife and the AI can be axe murderers.

Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 09:00:25 PM »

Took a break from AI coding. Converted some computer terminal models for the game.

Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 07:54:49 PM »

Been pretty quiet lately. Been working on the AI the framework and a new AI type - TechCultist. Next round of work will be tweaking some mechanics. After that... time to start the main gameplay loop...

Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 06:53:37 PM »

Been working on the gameplay loop around bullet time.

I've wanted some sort of bullet time since the beginning to give the  player a fighting chance. I've been experimenting with a bunch of them. For example just slowing down the bullets for a brief period of time and then
accelerating back to normal speed. In practice it all these experiments have fallen flat.
Really flat.

I think I'm over thinking it... I'm just going to go all Max Payne with a global bullet time coupled with a meter and go from there. That always feels awesome in VR.

I'll worrying about nerfing it later. Having a fun feel good experience is more important.

failed experiment

NikitundrikDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 07:42:28 PM »

Atmosphere of this game is awesome!
Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 04:53:04 AM »

Atmosphere of this game is awesome!

Thanks! Took a while to get a style I was happy with in VR.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 10:27:56 AM »

very nice

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 08:41:23 AM »

very nice

It's comments like these that keep me going  Gomez  Gentleman

Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 09:06:36 PM »

With the recent announcement that the Rift lineup will be discontinued I thought long and hard about moving this project to PC. I'm not really in the mood for paying 1k for the Index and I don't have Quest Developer status. A few people reached out to me to at least apply. So that's what I've done.

This project is now a leaf in the wind. It either blows over to the Quest or PC.

I really enjoy developing on the VR platform and would return to it in the future.

Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 07:34:05 PM »

Although I didn't make it as an Oculus Quest game I was encouraged to join Oculus Start. Decided to go with it
as the developer program looks very good. First cut is still going to be a VR game Smiley

Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 10:52:02 AM »

A bunch of people want a Jacket like character that's basically an average Joe (feedback from a Reddit thread). I feel I've leaned way too heavily on the source material to the point it's creatively bankrupt. Any ideas to spice up the concept?

Might just move on for now. Got a couple more game play elements to touch on and then I can start putting the bits and pieces together.

Bino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 05:12:42 PM »

The last character was a bit too much like Jacket. This one isn't rough enough. Getting there.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic