Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 09:32:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralhey are you still alive
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: hey are you still alive  (Read 6880 times)
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2019, 01:43:44 AM »

Really, I've always thought the secret forums were a little joke achievement, because they were not really a secret and you gained access to them not through shadowy invites but by posting a lot.

Ditto.

Isn't it?
Plenty of thriving forums out there (generally, not necessarily gamedev related), so it's not about tech. It's about the community.

That said, Imo, the main issue with most forums is the lack of self-moderation, which makes places like Reddit feel much more welcoming and appealing.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 01:50:35 AM by litHermit » Logged

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2019, 03:55:25 AM »

I wonder why people feel hostility or "unwelcome" in tigforums. I've been around here for some years, posted some stuff, reacted to many others, ignored a whole world of stuff. Interactions have been friendly mostly, some unpleasantly like you'd expect from a diverse community, and as far and disconnected as any other text-based mass communication channel.

Are you guys sure you aren't simply projecting something into these forums?

In addition: TigSource *is* thriving IMO. There is no multiple ways to approach a problem anymore as it has been 20 years ago. People are now ganging up on the support forums of their engine of choice, because "knowing the quirks" has replaced the "come up with some clever trick". But apart from that it's fine.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
fluffrabbit
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2019, 04:49:49 AM »

This will be my last post in the thread.

* I think the forum needs a fresh coat of paint.
* I think the forum format is obsolete and TIG has no more than a couple years left.
* Seriously people, fuck off with the "community" stuff. We're a community of vampires.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2019, 05:07:49 AM »

[...]We're a community of vampires.

Evil

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2019, 06:21:10 AM »

[...]We're a community of vampires.
Perhaps the same could be said of all religions…

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2019, 06:33:59 AM »

I wonder why people feel hostility or "unwelcome" in tigforums.
Thats just one guy here who seems pretty self-indulgent.
There is a problem with people hustling their stuff and getting ironic jabs in Games. "Games-Townhall" thing keeps claiming victims, so much so it cant be excused on individuals not reading rules.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2019, 06:51:53 AM »

It could just be me, maybe I'm reading the wrong parts. I may indeed be projecting, but alas, I just generally have felt outside for a long time. It feels like not fitting in at high school or something to me. You can try to prove my feelings wrong, which is your prerogative, but its how I feel, even if its based on misunderstanding.

And as I started expressing my feelings a bit more, by posting my art and stuff, Cobra called me a lot of names, which he continues to do, so I think there is some justification to the idea that "We don't take kindly to strangers in these parts." is part of the culture here. And that if you want to do things as simple as post an original drawing, you are in for a fight with at least *some* of the people here, as Cobra is the concrete proof of that.

litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2019, 07:03:11 AM »

@Schrompf  From casual observing I don't think Tig is any more or less (un)welcoming than any other medium sized forum online. Personally I was generalizing forums against places like Reddit (or even smaller forums against very large, broad-topic ones. (Your local bar vs... a mall)

Though there are toxic users here (as with most forums).

Btw, you do make a good point regarding people moving to engine specific forums; I still wouldn't call Tig thriving though. The amount of discussion, theory-crafting, and devlogs (actual devlogs, not "Marketing attempt logs") has fallen off. Heck active daily users stats speak for themselves.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:11:00 AM by litHermit » Logged

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2019, 07:15:12 AM »

Cobra called me a lot of names, which he continues to do, so I think there is some justification to the idea that "We don't take kindly to strangers in these parts."

You do realize that you're generalizing the attitude of a whole dang website based on how one person treated you, right? In all fairness I'm very willing to believe cobra hasn't been the nicest person to you, but that's still just one guy.

And tigs isn't dead. It's declining, sure, but it's certainly not at the point where no one posts anymore. A dozen devlog entries get posted on a daily basis. Like fluff said, the forum just needs a bit of a facelift and it'll be fine.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2019, 07:25:38 AM »

@michaelplzno: i understand how you feel, there's definitely a lot of insular clique bullshit going on in indie games and it's been a problem since the beginning.

however, tig hasn't been a gatekeeper for the indie scene since like 2010. most successful devs end up leaving this place and hanging out in their own private circles. judging from your twitter, you probably have more indie dev connections than i do, and i'm a freaking admin. like other people have said, the secret forums are 99% banter and shitposting between a handful of forum regulars and are not very active at this point.

so yeah, if you're on this site to somehow get access to the elite indie dev clique, i'm afraid you'll end up disappointed. sorry for being blunt.
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2019, 07:26:17 AM »

And tigs isn't dead.
Oi! I thought we were vampires here, that's ded rekt ded. ded!

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2019, 08:40:59 AM »

i am in no way affiliated with tigsource. Me lashing out on some guy who turns public art threads into daily art therapy dump is in not officially endorsed by administration.

Man, sigvatr was posting during like bush in office. You do not let go easily.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2019, 11:06:25 AM »

I am indeed a bitter husk, I suppose I should let it go. I'll spare you the song from Frozen.

And to some extent my bitterness has driven me to make industry contacts and be better etc. So I guess I'm just gonna have to let it go.

Oh hell, I'm embracing my inner Lawrence Welk, Here's the song:

And yes, I am generalizing, I suppose I just wanted to make it clear as a sort of postmortem why I had beef with yall for so long, even though you probably had no clue who I even was. To some extent I've had to live with this bitterness for a long time and its just a process to accept all this shit.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that people like me, with my issues, are gonna have beef like this, and if you are setting up a new version of TIG I kind of want to spare any future me's from the same path.

Edit 2: It was just a perfect storm of problems, you guys used to be gatekeeping, and then it just festered.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:13:17 AM by michaelplzno » Logged

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2019, 01:03:47 PM »

k

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2019, 01:49:55 PM »

Gonna log off before i ruin Friday 13. Have a happy merorial weekend everyone.

miki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2019, 11:50:18 PM »

---
I think TIGS right now is rougly about:
   60% Blogs (DevLogs)
   20% Ads (both for games and jobs)
   20% everything else
---
well... it is a community (as in, we all share a common interests - making video games we want to make, playing indie video games).
---
Re: Voting/reactions - they are just like giving a means to an end to people that want to abuse it.
---
As for hostility or plain trolling, while some might argue that it is politically incorrect, if anyone is able to modify the forum then placing a 'hide this member's posts' button next to each post would be a solution to that (left to each members discretion to use it or not).
---
Possibly a lot of people have realised making games is not all fun and games so they've abandoned it altogether hence the decline in number of threads.

In my case, if I was working on a game I imagine I would not have a lot of time or energy to post past my DevLog. Since I'm new here I don't know if, during previous years of the TIGS, the ratio of Devlogs vs other posts was also so high?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic