Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 10:26:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralhey are you still alive
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: hey are you still alive  (Read 6881 times)
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 10:34:52 PM »

Seems like everyone's on Twitter these days.  Shrug

Not the platform for me, I'm a wordy bitch.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2019, 11:27:41 PM »

Seems like everyone's on Twitter these days.  Shrug

Not the platform for me, I'm a wordy bitch.
I thought twitter is pretty much broadcast messages focused around a person, not around a topic. How can people have meaningful discussions there? And search back for things? Or is that overrated these days?

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
fluffrabbit
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 01:22:20 AM »

Good luck having threaded conversations on Twitter, it's always incoherent. If people are too lazy for conventional forums, maybe they'll go back to the imageboard format, I'm hoping.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2019, 01:42:03 AM »

Discord killed the last bastion
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 02:03:57 AM »

but tig discord is also kinda shit
it would not even be a thing if i didnt made mine
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 02:17:42 AM »

discord is a bad format for devlogging or something similar anyway.

Can't think of any format than a forum to keep track of what's in the indie scene, as in twitter or other alternatives it's impossible to keep track of threads unless you're 24/24 online.
fluffrabbit
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 02:59:56 AM »

Don't forget blogs. Nobody responds to half of the devlogs here anyways so we're really shouting into the wind.
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 03:10:42 AM »

Don't forget blogs. Nobody responds to half of the devlogs here anyways so we're really shouting into the wind.
No responses does not mean they don't get read. I read quite a few of them from time to time. But never reply.

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 03:14:51 AM »

I think the blog is a better way to organize information about your game than the devlog, but then again I've never been able to make a real consistent one- my entries are usually pretty boring because I tend to code things to 'work' instead of having interesting ways to go about it. My log is usually a few drab explanations about what I want to achieve, then a grocery list of what has been done with an accompanying screenshot or animated gif demonstrating the progress, with an eventual link to the game or demo. The real exciting part, I find, about game creation is talking about a game that cannot or should not be made, then brainstorming the various mechanics and assets that would be needed; actually making the game would make it less intriguing, kind of like showing gore in a horror movie makes it less scary.
fluffrabbit
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 03:18:58 AM »

No responses does not mean they don't get read. I read quite a few of them from time to time. But never reply.

Mildly inspiring.

talking about a game that cannot or should not be made, then brainstorming the various mechanics and assets that would be needed; actually making the game would make it less intriguing, kind of like showing gore in a horror movie makes it less scary.

So you talk about making something without actually making it.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2019, 03:32:25 AM »

[/quote]

So you talk about making something without actually making it.
[/quote]

Yes, because the idea behind the game is so terrible it should not exist. They are ideas that come from stressful or emotionally negative event, with a lot of dark, cynical humor. The exercise of imagining the game usually is enough to be a happier person.

For example, a game about a crash-landed alien; the game is to repair your ship by finding parts, but the alien is hurt and can only crawl, you can see the health kit but can't jump high enough to get it, you get to crawl around the stage, seeing a lot of things you COULD be interacting with if you were not hurt; also, the alien emits irritating noises as he crawls around, and is really slow.
fluffrabbit
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 04:17:18 AM »

Reminds me of a movie idea I had where aliens crash in West Virginia and get raped by rednecks. I think it's a matter of storytelling more than game design. The 3-act structure with either the happy ending or the tragic ending that comes late enough that nobody cares sorta defines expectations in America and similar places. It's called western dramatic structure.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2019, 04:28:39 AM »

One of the things we want to do when we eventually upgrade the forum backend is a sort of "like" system for devlog entries, or maybe an emoticon reaction system similar to discord, which would help with that feeling of "shouting in the wind".

Also, to answer your earlier question, the guy who's in charge of the backend is Matthew, but he has a full-time job and can't really dedicate much time to upgrading the forum beyond routine technical maintenance (though I'll give him major credit for keeping tigs running for this long.)

fluffrabbit
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 05:04:37 AM »

SMF 2.1 is almost stable, just saying. Whenever Matt gets around to it, if an upgrade is possible. As for "likes", I think community consensus might be sought. Also, what about "dislikes"? It can't all be positive. I mean, this isn't Twitter.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 05:15:07 AM »

We discussed dislikes among mods, and we generally agree that it would bring out too much negativity. The point would be to allow people to quickly encourage devlog maintainers, not to allow people to dogpile them.

Also, the version of SMF we're using is ancient and doesn't have a clear upgrade path to newer versions. We'd probably need to chain together several upgrade scripts from version to version, which would take time and energy to test and make sure everything works as intended.

fluffrabbit
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 05:32:36 AM »

I'm not on board with likes if there aren't dislikes. I like debate, not groupthink.

Also, the version of SMF we're using is ancient and doesn't have a clear upgrade path to newer versions.

Of course it doesn't. Don't worry about it if it's that difficult.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2019, 07:17:43 AM »

I don’t think a lack of dislikes would turn into groupthink since you’d still have the ability to post comments and voice grievances. The point would just be to help devs feel like people are seeing their work, which would be a welcome morale boost imo.

fluffrabbit
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2019, 07:43:23 AM »

Well, you're the expert. I occasionally think it's odd when comments I post on devlogs are unappreciated. Like, here's how you can improve your game, that sort of thing. I haven't received any such feedback myself, so I can only assume everything is perfect.

Personally though, I'd feel better with a few dislikes on my threads just to feel it out.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2019, 07:59:41 AM »

That's fair. Maybe it would be a better idea to simply let devlog authors decide what kind of reactions are permitted on their devlog entries. It might even be cool if you could add custom reactions themed after the devlog's game.

Of course, all of that is off limits until we put more time into maintaining the backend.

fluffrabbit
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2019, 08:28:07 AM »

Custom reactions? I've never heard of that, but it sounds pretty cool. And yes, letting thread authors make those decisions would probably be appreciated, like what YouTube video uploaders can do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic