Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 09:00:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralhey are you still alive
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: hey are you still alive  (Read 6879 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2019, 08:38:59 AM »

devlog authors should not decide what reactions they want to see and engage someone like normal human being would.
The advantage of twitter is that it allows you to engineer a self-reinforsement loop that eventually turns you insane. Thats why everyone who wants internet points got swallowed by politics and fanart-fueled likeonomy. You cant compete as custom experience or hangout space, only possible development lies within opening up to the public.
fluffrabbit
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2019, 09:12:56 AM »

While I agree and while I also see Twitter and Tumblr and Instagram and all the other shit as more or less the same, let's give this some more consideration.

If there is to be a "like" system, it can't simply be a "like" button or it will immediately turn into a likeonomy. It also can't be too complex lest we spin more behind-the-scenes social and ranking dynamics and shadowbans and everything else that social media sites like to do. There may be a balance somewhere, or maybe "like" isn't needed at all.

only possible development lies within opening up to the public.

Please elaborate.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2019, 09:47:15 AM »

Please elaborate.
making it so you dont need to level up by post count.
unlocking secret subforum where we talk about you all the time.
fluffrabbit
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2019, 10:05:53 AM »

unlocking secret subforum where we talk about you all the time.

NO. That isn't a thing here, is it?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2019, 10:22:05 AM »

It's a thing, but it was created long ago and is basically deserted by now. It's mostly a dumping ground for archived threads and shitposts at this point.

Anyway, I agree that levels being tied to post count is a bit weird. That might be a thing that needs to go eventually.

fluffrabbit
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2019, 10:36:50 AM »

How about just no levels? Tying levels to likes would be worse.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2019, 10:48:42 AM »

I don't remember saying that the likes system would have anything to do with post counts or levels? I also just said that levels should probably go away eventually.

fluffrabbit
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2019, 11:01:54 AM »

Okay, it just sounded like you implied it.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2019, 05:32:01 PM »

You really need to get a login to the back-end here if you want to move forward. Also there is no reason you shouldn't have access to the tig twitter and even the front page. Like are we just sitting here waiting for death or are we gonna start the next indie era?

One option is to just burn it down and buy a domain like tigforum.com and just start over. Also we could get some kind of twitter handle etc that matches the domain. tigland tigverse, tigscene etc. whatever there is a unified handle and domain for. But I for one would be happy to cut ties with whatever old stuff is on here.

About the secret forums, I've made it no secret that I find it off putting that this is a gated community. As a low level guy I never really felt like I was part of it, and I guess that was the point. It becomes a very "Us vs Them" kind of feel that I don't really like so I was always never too interactive in the place. The most fun for me was playing people's games in the feedback section.

Also the tendency to dogpile on people who ask typical noob questions like "OH I WAN MEAK GAME HOW?" was pretty irritating for me. There should be a *welcoming* onloading place for what you would call tigbabies that has a process to help people get involved rather than all this "WE ARE THE INDIE ILUMINATI" stuff.

And that's my 2 cents.

Edit: I would like to see this community set up more than just a set of rules but also some values, and things we stand for, rather than this posturing and petty stuff that so often goes on here.

fluffrabbit
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2019, 07:54:44 PM »

I would like to see this community set up more than just a set of rules but also some values, and things we stand for, rather than this posturing and petty stuff that so often goes on here.

That's the one thing I disagree on. This ain't an open source sharing-is-caring love-me touchy-feely community, and it shouldn't be. I thrive on conflict.
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2019, 08:48:39 PM »

You really need to get a login to the back-end here if you want to move forward. Also there is no reason you shouldn't have access to the tig twitter and even the front page. Like are we just sitting here waiting for death or are we gonna start the next indie era?

One option is to just burn it down and buy a domain like tigforum.com and just start over. Also we could get some kind of twitter handle etc that matches the domain. tigland tigverse, tigscene etc. whatever there is a unified handle and domain for. But I for one would be happy to cut ties with whatever old stuff is on here.

I disagree, TIGSource should definitely not be 'burned down to started anew.'
I put way too much effort into my DevLog over the years for that to happen, it would really be discouraging.
I'm sure others feel the same, a lot of history and resources would be lost.

(The website is backed up.... right?)

The answer is more boring; We don't have access to the twitter account rn. Same deal as with server backend access.

Doesn't Derek Yu or Matthew Wegner have the keys to the kingdom? Can't you just DM them on Twitter or send them an email?
It's been too long since the front page has been updated and I miss that.

I would be happy to help fund the website or donate some of my time, but I'm stone cold broke and working like 60 hours/week at the moment  Cry

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2019, 10:49:11 PM »

This ain't an open source sharing-is-caring love-me touchy-feely community, and it shouldn't be. I thrive on conflict.
Ever been part of an open source development? I have. And I can tell you, it's not all loving friendliness. People are quite aggressive when they want something changed in something they got for free. And get mad if you don't do what they want. It doesn't happen when it is small, but as soon as you get a bit bigger, the horrible people appear.

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2019, 04:03:20 AM »

good hustle out there guys, hit the showers
fluffrabbit
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2019, 04:22:12 AM »

This ain't an open source sharing-is-caring love-me touchy-feely community, and it shouldn't be. I thrive on conflict.
Ever been part of an open source development? I have. And I can tell you, it's not all loving friendliness. People are quite aggressive when they want something changed in something they got for free. And get mad if you don't do what they want. It doesn't happen when it is small, but as soon as you get a bit bigger, the horrible people appear.
I have been involved in open source development, and I have had such experiences. In my experience, the most horrible people are the ones who claim to be nice or altruistic in the name of their petty politics. The people who just want something are there to do business, and I respect their needs and the need for a viable product, "free" or not.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2019, 04:40:16 AM »

I would like to see this community set up more than just a set of rules but also some values, and things we stand for, rather than this posturing and petty stuff that so often goes on here.
I havent seen your posts anywhere here and youre like "uh, this place is toxic".
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2019, 05:00:17 AM »

Edit: I would like to see this community set up more than just a set of rules but also some values, and things we stand for, rather than this posturing and petty stuff that so often goes on here.

The best times I had were arguing about silly things like art games; it also gave me a lot to think about because I would always assume that the others might have a valid point, even though I wasn't sharing it at the time. In arguments with people I respected, I discovered a lot of things I would have missed if I had been set in my bubble. Values and things you stand for are often perspectives that can change depending on your place in life. Basic forum rules about common sense respect usually are enough to ensure healthy debates, with the occasionnal temporary ban to cool the hotter tempers; when these things become ideological, it can easily slip into purges and have a chilling effect on some people who might be interesting if you can overlook some things you profoundly disagree with. I'm not talking about the obvious troll, but some people might have more conservative values and some more liberal; these will evolve during your life, depending on experience, but keeping in mind the freedom of another to be wrong is as important for him as it is to you in time.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2019, 07:12:59 AM »

I know you guys love your indie drama. Even still, if that's what you value, you can say "WE VALUE CONFLICT"

Then at least the "Can't we all just get along?" know what you do.

Edit: like if your attitude is "Bring it on, be a forum troll!" you should own that as what this place is.

Edit 2: I'm not aware of any game you posted here cobra so that may be why we never encountered each other.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:19:00 AM by michaelplzno » Logged

fluffrabbit
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2019, 07:36:43 AM »

Coffee Okay. I don't think TIG needs to spell everything out, but I have a similar statement on my own site.

As you endure the barrage of mild insults and memes, you will grow and change into a better human being for the benefit of all mankind.

But I do feel that if it has to be spelled out, the people who need it to be spelled out might be undesirable in certain circles. No offense to you.

I also feel that defining what a place is stifles its ability to evolve into its own thing
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:41:59 AM by fluffrabbit » Logged
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2019, 07:41:21 AM »

Lol, what circles? The "Hey let's say offensive shit behind closed doors so on one can call us out on it!" circles?

And again, I'm not saying "lets all sing Kumbaya" but people put a lot of work into the devlogs here and such, shouldn't they get to know what the foundation they are building all that on is made of?

fluffrabbit
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2019, 07:42:55 AM »

Lol, what circles? The "Hey let's say offensive shit behind closed doors so on one can call us out on it!" circles?
It doesn't have to be behind closed doors. And, are you personally offended?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic