Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:18:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBeacon Pines
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Beacon Pines  (Read 14994 times)
hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2019, 10:23:07 AM »

Did you see Amanita Design's newest game? Pilgrims? Also has a "card game adventure game" angle, but different from yours. Still might be good to be aware of how you want to distinguish yourselves

Yep, I just noticed that game as well.  Looks different enough from our narrative/story heavy design, but I'll definitely give it a play just to be sure.  It looks incredibly charming!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2019, 01:27:37 PM »

Yeah, nobody will think you're stealing from them.

I played it and finished all achievements. It's short and sweet and indeed very charming!
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2019, 09:17:45 AM »

The art here continues to be rather lovely. ^_^

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2019, 05:42:42 AM »

Luka's Bedroom and Kickstarter Questions
Luka's bedroom with some mockups of Luka sleeping and in PJ's

Regarding Kickstarter: so we're running out of runway on the project, and have been discussing doing a Kickstarter in the next few months.  While I've backed many kickstarters, I've never run one myself.  I have a good sense of what I like to see in a kickstarter, but certainly there's a lot more too it.

Does anyone have any kickstarter advice generally?
Here are some starter questions, but feel free to drop any advice whatsoever:
  • Is there a good time of year to launch?  I'm thinking around the holidays might not be a good idea, but maybe it is.
  • Are there specific types of rewards/tiers that people like more than others?  Obviously keys for a digital copy of the game will be one of the base options.  We're also considering an art/concept book and other physical options, but I've heard horror stories about shipping physical rewards.
  • Perhaps most importantly, is kickstarting a project like this even a good idea?  Another option might be looking for publishing help to fund the remainder of the project

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »

Does anyone have any kickstarter advice generally?

About a year ago I worked on a game that was successfully Kickstarted. I wasn't involved with running the campaign, but the devlog had some pretty in-depth posts from LobsterSundew with Kickstarter advice:
Post 1    Post 2    Post 3    Post 4    Post 5    Post 6

I know this is a lot of text and might require a fair bit of reading back to get proper context (sorry about that), but I hope it proves useful.

I make video/tabletop games and music!
hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 08:10:17 AM »

I know this is a lot of text and might require a fair bit of reading back to get proper context (sorry about that), but I hope it proves useful.

So many good tips there! I just spent the morning going through it all and making notes. Big thanks ChrisLSound for the links, and big thanks to LobsterSundew for the wonderful posts.

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2019, 08:05:00 AM »

So glad it helped! Luka’s room looks fantastic by the way Hand Thumbs Up Right

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2019, 06:47:29 AM »

Rethinking the Character Animations

Old
Previously almost all animations in the game were frame-by-frame.  We limited the number of frames, because every frame needed 6 versions for each direction the character could face: front, front-right, front-left, back, back-right, back-left.  This meant for every animation, the number of frames was multiplied by 6.  This felt like a good place for us to optimize our workflow and take some tedium off of Ilse's (the artist) plate.

New
The first thought was, how would the animation look if we cut down on the number of directions the character could face.  The player would still be able to move the character around in any analog direction, but the character would only face a discrete set of directions.  It turns out that only using the front-left/front-right/back-left/back-right facing directions still looks and feels fine.  But I really wanted the animations to feel more fluid without needed a bunch of extra frames.

I've done a fair amount of character rigging and animation in the past, so had a go at rigging up Luka.  I was pleasantly surprised with the result.

Now all character animations are done with a set of rigged layers animated in engine. It's more work for me, but much less work for Ilse.  And the smooth new look hits home with one of our core pillars for the game - childlike playfulness.

Here's the behind-the-scenes rig:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2019, 06:55:52 AM »

Looks very good! And so cute! Kiss

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2019, 06:56:45 AM »

Looks great. What engine are you using?

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2019, 07:02:54 AM »

Looks very good! And so cute! Kiss
Glad you like it!

Looks great. What engine are you using?
Unity.  For these new animations, I'm using the 2d Animation package.

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2019, 12:22:08 PM »

Unity.  For these new animations, I'm using the 2d Animation package.

Awesome, thanks! The dilemma you talked about is one I currently have with my own game idea, and skeletal animation is a solution I'm considering. Glad to see it worked out so nicely! I love the ear bobbing especially Smiley

Also, I came across another game crowdfunding platform, and thought you might be interested in at least checking it out: https://www.fig.co/

YogX
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2019, 11:58:01 PM »

It looks so good... Wow...

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2019, 05:07:29 AM »

I love the ear bobbing especially Smiley
Haha, glad you noticed.  Whenever I add details like that I wonder if anyone will ever even see them.  I usually justify adding the little things because even if people don't specifically notice, I hope it will at least add to the overall feel.

Also, I came across another game crowdfunding platform, and thought you might be interested in at least checking it out: https://www.fig.co/
Fig is an interesting alternative to Kickstarter, for sure.  I'm less familiar with it than Kickstarter, but I do like the idea of backers getting some sort of cut of the profits.  Pretty cool!

It looks so good... Wow...
Beer!

litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2019, 08:11:46 AM »

Haha, glad you noticed.  Whenever I add details like that I wonder if anyone will ever even see them. I usually justify adding the little things because even if people don't specifically notice, I hope it will at least add to the overall feel.

That's a legit justification, without secondary animations things can feel off and stiff without quite understanding why.

Also really nice work, the character feels great. I'd consider adding a 5-10% variance in shadow size, depending how high the char is in the air relative to ground. (but only if the camera position is low enough to justify small details like that)

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2019, 12:27:59 PM »

I'd consider adding a 5-10% variance in shadow size, depending how high the char is in the air relative to ground.
Good suggestion  Smiley

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2019, 09:12:38 AM »

Finished all new rigged animations this week for Luka, Rolo, and Beck.  Each has a distinct run/idle, and Luka has an additional walk and jump animation since he's controlled by the player.  I've gotta say that jump animation gave me so much more trouble than I would have hoped.

At some point I might add walk and jump for Rolo and Beck, but for now run fits the bill.  Here's Beck's new run:

Lots of moving parts here:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2019, 09:16:40 AM »

Looks great! Love the little bangs!! Kiss

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2019, 11:02:30 AM »

Looks great! Love the little bangs!! Kiss

Thanks!  I really want a point in the game where she takes off the beanie and a big blue mohawk pops up.  Giggle

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2019, 05:48:18 AM »

That would be cool :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic