Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:11:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBeacon Pines
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Beacon Pines  (Read 15124 times)
ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2019, 08:18:30 AM »

Agreed on the bangs - very very good!

I make video/tabletop games and music!
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2019, 04:27:31 PM »

Gorgeous art in this! I think the skeletal animation was a good choice for the character animation. So smooth and all the little secondary motions are really fun to watch. Coffee

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2019, 06:12:40 AM »

Agreed on the bangs - very very good!
Gorgeous art in this! I think the skeletal animation was a good choice for the character animation. So smooth and all the little secondary motions are really fun to watch. Coffee

Thanks! I think secondary motions and follow-through/overlap are my favorite part of animation Smiley
Squash and stretch is fun too, but not as many opportunities for that in these rigs.

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2019, 03:29:29 PM »

I really want Luka to be able to chill in the chair, but the hard part is gonna be animating him in/out.  The "in" part should mostly work with a jump.  Might have to fudge the getting "out" part.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2019, 02:02:20 AM »

You could have him slide down, like he's melting from boredom :p
hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2019, 06:15:13 AM »

You could have him slide down, like he's melting from boredom :p

It's funny you mention it, I spent last night doing exactly that (along with the hop on and idle animation)!  Not only is it an appropriate way for a kid to get off a big chair, but it was probably easier to animate than other ways.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2019, 07:19:28 AM »

... you can't say such a thing and not share a gif! Tongue

I bet it lookes adorable
hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2019, 07:59:54 AM »

... you can't say such a thing and not share a gif! Tongue

I bet it lookes adorable

Haha, fair enough!  Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2019, 08:31:12 AM »

I won my bet Wink

Looking great! I think there's a slight problem with the foot stand in front of the chair not blocking the view though - I would move it a bit further away as a cheap solution
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2019, 12:36:35 AM »

I think there's a slight problem with the foot stand in front of the chair not blocking the view though - I would move it a bit further away as a cheap solution

+1

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2019, 03:42:03 AM »

Yeah, it confuses me about the perspective. Tongue But otherwise that is so cute and cosy!! Kiss Kiss

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2019, 06:48:51 AM »

Looking great! I think there's a slight problem with the foot stand in front of the chair not blocking the view though - I would move it a bit further away as a cheap solution
Yeah, it confuses me about the perspective. Tongue But otherwise that is so cute and cosy!! Kiss Kiss

Good to know!  We'll probably just take the ottoman out to keep things simple  Coffee

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2019, 07:27:55 PM »

Just jumping in to say I really dig the look and feel. Will be following.

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2019, 06:36:29 AM »

Just jumping in to say I really dig the look and feel. Will be following.
Smiley

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2019, 08:48:56 AM »

Welp, that's one of my favorite animations I've ever seen

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2019, 09:58:03 AM »

I've been working on several dances for Luka.  One of the words to play on day one is the "Dancing" card, which can be used to fill a missing word in conversations with 3 different characters.  So, all 3 of those characters will need some solid dance moves depending on when the card is used.

Work it Luka:

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2019, 09:05:37 AM »

[...] One of the words to play on day one is the "Dancing" card, which can be used to fill a missing word in conversations [...]

Hah, so does this mean you just peace out of a conversation via sick dance moves?

Looks good Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »

Kiss

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2019, 06:11:19 AM »

Hah, so does this mean you just peace out of a conversation via sick dance moves?

Looks good Smiley

Well, it depends on the context that you play the card. I just realized that I haven't shared a big change that happened to how cards/words are acquired and played in the game. I'll follow up today with a post explaining this cryptic response  My Word!

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2019, 08:22:08 AM »

Change to How Cards are Managed

The idea of making decisions by playing a word into a missing slot in the story has been core to the game design from the start. Most of the other gameplay elements have been designed around that concept. One element that probably has the biggest effect on how that core interaction works and feels is the number of playable cards, and how you acquire new cards/manage your deck of words.

Old Card System

For a long time, the player would discover new cards by exploring and interacting with the world.  This had a few benefits, but too many downsides.  The three biggest issues were
1: It complicated the story to a point of being unmanageable
2: It encouraged the kind of pixel-hunting-click-on-everything-to-see-if-something-happens that we want to avoid
3: It forced us to generalize the results based on the card category, as apposed to a full-fledged response based on the exact card that was played

New Card System

This third point above was the biggest reason for moving to the new system.

Each day, the player gets a pre-determined hand of cards.  Throughout the day, the player will be presented with several occasions to play a card/word into a missing slot in the story.  Every card in your hand is playable, and every card has a full-fledged custom result.  This result ranges from a written and visual response all the way to a story-branching change.

In addition to making choice results more significant, this change to the cards also addresses issues 1 and 2 above. In scripting the game's story, we now know ahead of time which cards the player will have for which days. And there's no more need to pixel-hunt and worry you haven't collected all of the cards.

Thoughts?

Does this sound like a reasonable solution to the issues listed?  Would anyone have solved this differently?  It's always stressful making significant changes to the game, but for me that's just a part of game development; finding the best version of what the game can be.

So far, the new system is feeling good but we still have a ways to go before it is fully integrated into the story.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:19:02 PM by hidingspot » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic