Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:09:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBeacon Pines
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Beacon Pines  (Read 15123 times)
ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2019, 12:58:58 PM »

I like this new system a lot. The only downside I can imagine is player expression would be limited to the select few options provided by the writers. However, it's probably practically impossible to give deep possibilities for this while also keeping it compelling. So I think your solution is a smart one, and ensures the best possible narrative experience that you as a small team can provide!

And besides, for a game like this, I'd much rather experience a small number of meaningfully-crafted encounters than endless possibilities for shallow "self-expression". Avoiding your issue #2 is also very very nice!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

I make video/tabletop games and music!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »

Sounds good!

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2019, 06:09:00 AM »

I like this new system a lot. The only downside I can imagine is player expression would be limited to the select few options provided by the writers. However, it's probably practically impossible to give deep possibilities for this while also keeping it compelling. So I think your solution is a smart one, and ensures the best possible narrative experience that you as a small team can provide!

And besides, for a game like this, I'd much rather experience a small number of meaningfully-crafted encounters than endless possibilities for shallow "self-expression". Avoiding your issue #2 is also very very nice!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Sounds good!

I'm glad this decision sounds sensible!  Hand Joystick

On a different note, I finished up some bugs that'd been frustrating me, so now I get to work on animating Grandma. I'm excited to get her scootin' around!

Quick question: Which is the better informal name for Grandma (what Luka calls her, for example).
1. Gran (this is our current choice)
2. Grams (I've been leaning toward this recently)
3. <Something else entirely>

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2019, 07:55:42 AM »

Hmmmm... I think this depends on the personality of whoever is using the term and what their relationship with the Grandma is like. "Grams", to me, sounds like something a more brash/energetic/extroverted character would say, whereas "Gran" or "Gramma" feels more endearing/gentle.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2019, 08:40:19 AM »

Titanic has made me partial to 'nana'… Huh?

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2019, 08:21:08 PM »

Thoughts?

Does this sound like a reasonable solution to the issues listed?  Would anyone have solved this differently?  It's always stressful making significant changes to the game, but for me that's just a part of game development; finding the best version of what the game can be.

So far, the new system is feeling good but we still have a ways to go before it is fully integrated into the story.

This sounds like a good way to streamline the system and make for a better experience for all players regardless of which cards they choose to play. I think it should allow for you to set up more interesting decisions (or even more like puzzles?) about which cards to play when.

It seems to me that you could still fit the occasional optional card into this system if you wanted - like the outcome of a branch of conversation could be to give you a new card which is a mood or a thing to talk about for the remainder of that day.

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2019, 05:24:06 AM »

It seems to me that you could still fit the occasional optional card into this system if you wanted - like the outcome of a branch of conversation could be to give you a new card which is a mood or a thing to talk about for the remainder of that day.

That's a fair point.  If we know the major decisions of a day are finished, it's not too complicating to add a fun card or two without major story consequences.  Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2019, 06:08:28 AM »

I thought of suggesting like a limited set of premade but randomised options per day too, but figured it would still increase content work exponentially so maybe it was better to just do what you had in mind first, and then see. Tongue

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2019, 01:15:44 PM »

I thought of suggesting like a limited set of premade but randomised options per day too, but figured it would still increase content work exponentially so maybe it was better to just do what you had in mind first, and then see. Tongue

It's always nice when feedback includes the acknowledgement of how much work goes into the features. A telltale sign of a fellow experienced indie  Coffee

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2019, 08:03:37 AM »

Discord
Hey everyone, we're gonna start inviting others to the Welcome to Beacon Pines Discord server. If you're interested in seeing a bit more behind the scenes than I'm able to show here on TIG Source, come join us on the Discord server.

You'll also get to meet Ilse and Brent, the other two people working on the game.  And probably best of all, you'll get to see more of Ilse's awesome art along the way.  She'll even be posting work in progress stuff with the community.

Don't be shy, we're a friendly bunch. We don't anticipate a huge response in these early stages, so feel free to pass along the invite to anyone you feel might be interested:

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2019, 07:00:48 AM »

Here's a sneak peak at sort of concept art Ilse is sharing on Discord.

The orange girl on the right is a concept for Rolo's big sister Roxy(2 versions), and the other two are her semi-mean-girl friends.

Roxy is generally annoyed by her younger brother, but will likely play an important roll in helping the kids later in the story.

I'm sure Ilse would appreciate any encouragement or feedback on Discord  Wink
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 05:34:34 AM by hidingspot » Logged

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2020, 04:04:19 AM »

The Lab in the Belly of Weep Wood

Things aren't all cozy and cheerful in Beacon Pines. Venture far enough into Weep Wood and you just might stumble upon the source of some strange happenings in Town.

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2020, 08:56:23 AM »

Ilse (and/or whoever else made this art) is so good with colors. I love the background on this one.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2020, 06:06:19 AM »

Such a good atmosphere. I'm in love with those blue and purple trees. Intrigued about this spooky place! Those concept characters look amazing too.

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2020, 06:35:20 AM »

Ilse (and/or whoever else made this art) is so good with colors. I love the background on this one.

Such a good atmosphere. I'm in love with those blue and purple trees.  Those concept characters look amazing too.

Thank you both for the kind words. Yep, it's Ilse. I've passed along the compliments to her.

Intrigued about this spooky place!

That's exactly what we're hoping for with this environment!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 07:58:23 AM by hidingspot » Logged

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2020, 08:58:52 PM »

Man, this is gorgeous! Really loving her work!

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2020, 11:52:38 AM »

It's a Book!

For a long time now, we've internally talked about the art style as reminiscent to an illustration in a book. It was our way of framing the ramas in our heads without them seeming like floating islands.

Several months back, I spent a day playing around with what it might look like for the game to literally transition in and out of a book when the player is prompted to choose a word.  The result was pretty nice looking:

And it felt good to play a word, and see text of the book change as the game world envelopes the screen again.  So this has been how the game has functioned for several months.  You explore the world as luka, and occasionally you'll see the world swoop out into a book. Choose a card to change the story, see the new resulting text animate in, and the world swoops back in to give you control of Luka again.

One thing has been missing, though. For all this time, it's been my hacky version of two curled book pages serving as the book model. Until last week, when I contacted an old friend to see if she wanted to pick up some contract work on Welcome to Beacon Pines.  I'm happy to say she's been doing a great job modeling and animating the new book. I hope to have the updated version of the transition to show you all soon!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2020, 02:57:26 AM »

That already looks very good, can't wait to see the new one! Kiss

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2020, 07:52:52 AM »

This is so cool!! It looks great and I love the atmosphere/feeling/vibe it gives :D

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2020, 12:24:46 PM »

That already looks very good, can't wait to see the new one! Kiss
This is so cool!! It looks great and I love the atmosphere/feeling/vibe it gives :D

Thanks! It'll look even better once we get the proper 3D artist version of it completed. Check out the nice book cover she's working on:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic