Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:06:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeGimme a board game for my game board!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Gimme a board game for my game board!  (Read 5076 times)
deetus
Level 0

NN-TS NN-TS

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2009, 05:25:27 AM »

Out of boredom, I spent a whole week cutting out paper to make a warehouse of boxes. I originally intended it to be a board game variant of ZOMBIES!!! but I couldn't think of anything that was any fun. Anyways have some pics and feel free to suggest anything I could possibly do with the board.

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 05:33:29 AM »

That looks great and I can't wait to see the ideas people come up with. I don't have any... yet.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 06:05:20 AM »

http://4chanarchive.org/brchive/19914684/black+bomberman3A+faggot/
Rules are in there somewhere.
deetus
Level 0

NN-TS NN-TS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:12:51 AM »

:D

Oh god, I laughed SOOO MUCH. However, Looking through the rules, I only found what you'd NEED to play it. However, no rules could be scavenged.
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 07:52:11 AM »

You could probably make some simple rules for a board game FPS, of sorts, minus the FP part. I always thought that all army men needed was some strict rules to make them less fun for kids and more fun for 16-34 year-old males. You could just steal the rules from the Star Wars RPG for ranged combat and plant it on there, maybe.

Scratch that: Make the boxes movable, get a million zombie miniatures, and 1-4 soldier miniatures. Every turn, move all the zombies one tile closer to the soldiers, and just make the soldiers try to move around boxes and weld shit or whatever to keep them away as long as possible. Not exactly specific rules, but maybe that's an idea for you to start on.

NathanielEdwards.com for gaming journalism and music. SoundCloud page BandCamp page
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 08:07:47 AM »

:D

Oh god, I laughed SOOO MUCH. However, Looking through the rules, I only found what you'd NEED to play it. However, no rules could be scavenged.

The rules are in there, you must have skipped them.

Paolo Victor
Level 1

This is a test.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »

This reminded me of when I was 7 or 8 years old and made those craptacular Bomberman comic books. My mom loved them, and keep them until today.

One of the stories involved soup.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »

Okay, so back on the subject of your board:

X-COM the board game

My only problem with the set up is the boxes are all the same height. No chance to hide / use cover. Still, not bad.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 12:55:37 PM »

Here's a random first stab for a 2 (or more I guess) player game.  This is a random stab at rules, so the usual caveats apply.  (these haven't been tried, and are just "what seems fun")

(this is assuming that the squares are movable.  I hope they are!

Game materials
  • A token for each player
  • A bunch of tokens to use for zombies
  • Some tokens to use for shotgun shells
  • A 6-sided die
  • your awesome looking board

Game setup:
You and opponent start with an empty board, and take turns placing pieces.  You can place them anywhere you want, but you are not allowed to make areas that are cut off from the rest of the board.  You stop when you can't add any more pieces.

You and your opponent then each pick a starting location.  FOR THE OTHER PERSON.  (So you pick where they start, and they pick where you start.

Give each player 3 "shotgun shell" tokens.

The game is now ready to play.

Gameplay:
Each turn has 2 phases, player phase and zombie phase:

Player phase:
Each player can do any one of the following things on their turn:
  • Run:Player moves their token by 2 squares.  (No diagonals!)
  • Move a crate:Player moves themselves, and then moves the crate, both by one [non-diagonal] move.  (You can only move objects that are marked as "crates".)  At the end of movement, either you need to end up in a square that it used to occupy, or it needs to occupy the square you started the turn in.
  • Attack a zombie:You can shoot zombies with your shotgun.  This uses up one shell.  Roll a [6 sided] die:  If you roll HIGHER than the number of squares away the zombie is, congratulations!  You have blown it up!  (so if he's adjacent to you, [1 square away] you need to roll at least a 2)  Rolls of 1 always fail.
After both players have moved, it's time for...

Zombie phase:
First, each player adds a zombie token somewhere on the board.  Zombie tokens can be added anywhere as long as it is touching at least one edge of the board, and is at least 3 squares (as the crow flies) away from a player.  (So no spawning zombies on top of each other.)

Next, all the zombies move.  Zombies use the following rules:
  • chase you down: If a zombie can reach a player within 5 moves, it will move towards that player in the shortest possible path.  (if 2 players are equidistant, pick one via random dice roll)
  • amble aimlessly: If a zombie is not within 5 moves of a player, it moves randomly.  Roll a die.  On a 1: it moves north, 2: south, 3: east, 4: west, 5-6: Whoever is furthest away from the zombie (as the crow flies) gets to pick where it moves.  (If both are the same, pick a person via random die roll)
If a zombie ends a turn on top of a player, that player is eaten.  Game over!  Nom nom nom!

Ending the game:
If there is only one person left alive, then that person "wins"!  Wins the hopeless realization that they're next, that is.  And the knowledge that they have sold out their friends, bargained away the only people that can possibly help them, all in exchange for a few extra fleeting seconds of drawing breath!

Also they win bragging rights!

Alternately, if you feel that zombie attacks are more about putting aside differences and working towards a communal goal, and not about zombie attacks tearing apart a group of friends, both metaphorically and literally, you could make the game be cooperative, and see how many turns you can last until everyone has been eaten.

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 01:40:16 PM »

This reminds me of when me and my brother turned tipover into a turn based multiplayer strategy game.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »

Montoli pretty cool idea. Hand Thumbs Up Left Anything for the shorter blocks though?

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
deetus
Level 0

NN-TS NN-TS

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 04:13:30 PM »

Okay, so back on the subject of your board:

X-COM the board game

My only problem with the set up is the boxes are all the same height. No chance to hide / use cover. Still, not bad.

4 boxes are half boxes, it's kinda hard to see in the picture. Smiley

Anyways, Montoli's rules sound good! Except I taped each box and cut out holes to place them on tthe board. A state of permanence, y'know? Gonna try some of those zombie movement ideas! Thanks for the comments, guys.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 07:27:10 PM »

Hm... If the boxes are stable, how about a parkour board game? I'll try and work out some basic rules, but maybe you could use an RPG-ish system to sort out whether or not a move succeeds, with bonuses and penalties applied to player momentum- i.e., the player moves more spaces if they continue moving in a single direction than if they suddenly make a hard turn. Player tokens might be tricky, but you could probably use something simple like a coin or a scrap of paper to keep track of their locations. I will admit, the board looks pretty cool!
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 08:44:47 PM »

This reminded me of when I was 7 or 8 years old and made those craptacular Bomberman comic books. My mom loved them, and keep them until today.

One of the stories involved soup.
Tell her to scan them!
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 05:13:33 AM »

If you wanted to add a little complexity to Montoli's idea you could add more weapon types. Like a rifle which is more accurate (you only have to roll greater than or equal to the number of spaces), but does less damage (takes two hits to kill a standard zombie).

Or maybe more zombie types, like a big zombie which can take two hits (or four hits with a rifle) but is slower than a normal zombie.

Oh, and did you use some kind of cardstock paper for that? Or just normal paper.

deetus
Level 0

NN-TS NN-TS

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 05:42:52 AM »

If you wanted to add a little complexity to Montoli's idea you could add more weapon types. Like a rifle which is more accurate (you only have to roll greater than or equal to the number of spaces), but does less damage (takes two hits to kill a standard zombie).

Or maybe more zombie types, like a big zombie which can take two hits (or four hits with a rifle) but is slower than a normal zombie.

Oh, and did you use some kind of cardstock paper for that? Or just normal paper.

I used some paper I tore outta my sketchbook. A bit thicker than normal paper, but still reasonably thin enough to cut and fold.
Paolo Victor
Level 1

This is a test.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 05:43:37 AM »

Montoli's idea and ninjutsu's suggestions are ace, but I guess you'd need a bigger board?

Edit: I'll ask her  Beer!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 05:52:36 AM by Paolo Victor » Logged
genericuser
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 07:16:34 AM »

A quick idea;

2-player Board Game Snake - a quick draft
----------------------------
Game materials:
- Bag of Skittles, or other tokens
- Your board

Game rules:
The first player starts out by picking a spot on the board, and places a token/skittle on that spot.

The second player then places a token on an adjacent square that isn't occupied by another token or a wall.

The first player then places another token on a square, adjacent to the token that was just placed.

This is repeated until it is no longer possible to do any legal moves - the player who places the last token is the winner.
deetus
Level 0

NN-TS NN-TS

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 07:40:27 AM »

Oh God I need some skittles. Also, I plan to make a new board starting next week with more paper and harder, more durable, and (huzzah!) pushable boxes.
Krumbs
Level 1

Huun Huur Tu

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 07:58:35 AM »

I look forward to seeing it, the board you have now looks fantastic. Can't really think of a game for it right now, it does remind me of the start of Metal Gear Solid though.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic