Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:31:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeGimme a board game for my game board!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Gimme a board game for my game board!  (Read 5070 times)
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »

A quick idea;

2-player Board Game Snake - a quick draft
----------------------------
Game materials:
- Bag of Skittles, or other tokens
- Your board

Game rules:
The first player starts out by picking a spot on the board, and places a token/skittle on that spot.

The second player then places a token on an adjacent square that isn't occupied by another token or a wall.

The first player then places another token on a square, adjacent to the token that was just placed.

This is repeated until it is no longer possible to do any legal moves - the player who places the last token is the winner.

I like that it's skittles.  In addition to being nice and colorful and easy to differentiate, it lends itself nicely to a victory ceremony where the winner gets to eat the loser, while the loser roots around in the skittles bag looking for a new color for the next game.

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Juhkystar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 08:30:24 AM »

I really want to make my own board/game now. You'll have to give us an AAR for whatever game you end up doing. Wink
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 03:19:40 PM »

Random thought re:snakes.

You might want to make a maximum length per person (maybe start small and grows +1 every N turns?)  Otherwise what always seems to happen with unlimited length (aka tron light cycle) games is that, aside from an early-on game of chicken, both sides just square off half (or as much as they can) of the board, and spend the rest of the game slowly going in spirals.  Whoever has more space (and so can spiral the longest) wins, and the two sides don't spend a whole lot of time interacting.

Limiting snake length does two nice things.
  • It makes the partitions change.  They're not set in stone, but instead will gradually shift as the game progresses.
  • It also means that you don't have to have as many skittles of the same color to play.  :D

If you do end up playing, you have to give us a report!

-Montoli

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
genericuser
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 03:54:51 AM »

Random thought re:snakes.

You might want to make a maximum length per person (maybe start small and grows +1 every N turns?)  Otherwise what always seems to happen with unlimited length (aka tron light cycle) games is that, aside from an early-on game of chicken, both sides just square off half (or as much as they can) of the board, and spend the rest of the game slowly going in spirals.  Whoever has more space (and so can spiral the longest) wins, and the two sides don't spend a whole lot of time interacting.

Limiting snake length does two nice things.
  • It makes the partitions change.  They're not set in stone, but instead will gradually shift as the game progresses.
  • It also means that you don't have to have as many skittles of the same color to play.  :D

If you do end up playing, you have to give us a report!

-Montoli

I think my idea came across wrong; the idea is that both players extend on the same snake. So you end up with situations where one player tries to steer the snake into the wall, whereas the other player is trying to make it last longer.  Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic