Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 05:33:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralNeed game ideas for a contest
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need game ideas for a contest  (Read 1053 times)
moltenlava
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2019, 07:20:56 AM »

Hello everyone!
My name is moltenlava (not really) and I'm a 14-year-old wanting to get into game development
I have always loved playing games and have been wanting to make one for a while but I just couldn't put my mind to it due to school and video game addiction. A couple of weeks ago my school offered me to take part in an interschool design championship contest thingy and game design was one of the topics. I gladly accepted the offer and have been prepping ever since I have learned most of the basics in game maker studio and i am ready to make a game the only problem is the topic, the topic gets announced 7 days before the submission date which is 7 days from now  Shrug. The topic is - Discovering life underground when i first got the email i was like wtf what am i supposed to make with that.I have been learning a lot about combat mechanics, movement textboxes and stuff and I have absolutely no idea what kind of game i could make with that topic i was thinking about making a game where you have to capture certain species underground and put them in a spaceship because the planet we are on is going to explode. I need some ideas any help would be appreciated as i have never made a game before Smiley
fluffrabbit
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 07:28:52 AM »

I participated in something like that in high school. The theme reminds me of Gurren Lagann, which starts with the discovery of a sentient robot buried beneath the cave system that post-apocalyptic subterraneans live in.
moltenlava
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 07:42:09 AM »

hmm interesting but I had already thought of that kind of a game but im supposed to make one about discovering life beneath the surface
fluffrabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 08:59:51 AM »

Don't sentient robots count as life? I guess it's a matter of perspective. Need organisms be made out of carbon? What about mechanical organisms?
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »

waking mrs might be a good example

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 10:41:16 AM »

you found a new sapient form of life, but oh no, it went extinct thouthands of years ago for unspecified reason.
you are also a roach.
moltenlava
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »

Don't sentient robots count as life? I guess it's a matter of perspective. Need organisms be made out of carbon? What about mechanical organisms?
Huh, I never really thought of it like that. Thanks! my dumb little brain always thinks logically no room for creativity
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 12:19:50 PM »

Here's a reference:

Note, I only watched the first 30 secs of this so who knows what the rest of the video is but it should give you a good idea of what digdug is.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »

Discovering life underground

A suggestion of an approach that might help: Perhaps you might find some ideas by asking yourself questions about the topic: Why are we discovering life? What sort of life is there to be found? Why are we discovering it underground, and not above-ground or in the ocean? Where does this take place? How do we discover this life? And once we've discovered it, what happens next--is discovery itself the point, or do we do something with it (collect it, shoot it, farm it, etc.)? And so on.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic