Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:08:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting//FATAL:Proxy_ [Open Beta] UI-based mystery/puzzle game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: //FATAL:Proxy_ [Open Beta] UI-based mystery/puzzle game  (Read 701 times)
JackofTraes
Level 0

Technical Game Designer | Systems & Gameplay

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2019, 08:44:15 PM »

Hello, I am looking for general feedback on my game "//FATAL:Proxy_"!

Genre: Mystery; Puzzle
Themes: Dark; Cyberpunk; Dystopian; Hacking
Platforms: Windows (Mac & Linux unconfirmed at the moment but can be added if there are any interested + dedicated testers)
Description: Assuming the role of an investigative journalist, learn about the mysterious disappearance of a grey hat group known as "Xenon".

General Download Key: https://jackoftraes.itch.io/fatal-proxy/download/GGRAwDRFQNbRDj7fhpFtUMmu3_9cpoEes05B8Ukw

It is now in open beta. I plan on finishing and releasing the game as soon as possible so I need avid testers to help me out with finding areas in which the game can be fixed and/or improved. I will try to address serious concerns and provide bug fixes (whenever possible). I will provide patch notes in this thread to help current and future testers and provide direct replies on a case-by-case basis. If you find a bug, please provide the steps to reproduce it as it will help me find and eradicate them a bit quicker.

If you would like to be included in the credits for your help, please let me know in your FIRST feedback post OR in a PM with how you would like to be represented (real name or alias). Just note that an inappropriate alias will likely be omitted and be considered as an anonymous tester. That's about it, thanks for your interest in the game and happy testing! Gomez

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:07:00 PM by JackofTraes » Logged

"I'm happy anyway..."
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 08:59:49 PM »

hey JackOfTraes,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

JackofTraes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 01:28:15 PM »

hey JackOfTraes,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts...

Hey thanks for the video and thoughts! Honestly, almost ANY type of feedback is wonderful for me as I can figure out what to modify or add. Honestly appreciate it!

I am in the middle of a significant patch that will fill in the missing/pending content for all emails along with a note system.

Additionally, I will try to address your concerns (as expressed in the video). Hope that you will try it out again after the patch.

New Patch ETA: 1-3 Days  Gomez

"I'm happy anyway..."
JackofTraes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 09:30:11 PM »

NOTICE: Saved profiles have been deleted due to a major loss in data retention for emails (more on this below). I apologize for the inconvenience (if any) as this will result in profiles being removed completely. I will try to keep this as a last resort and try to work around it whenever possible.

Thanks to all that have tested so far and to those that will test in the future!

Download Key: https://jackoftraes.itch.io/fatal-proxy/download/GGRAwDRFQNbRDj7fhpFtUMmu3_9cpoEes05B8Ukw

Updates:
  • [FIXED] Data retention for non-progression emails. This caused previously working functionality (like moving and deleting) to stop working without any obvious errors.
  • [FIXED] Bug where Alphanumeric minigame variant calculated the wrong password.
  • [ADDED] New note system. This was a suggestion from one of the play testers and, while it took quite a bit longer than I would have liked, it should be mostly bug free (we'll find out). The purpose is to function as an automatic player diary AND allows players to take reminder notes about their progression or puzzle thoughts whilst remaining in game.
  • [ADDED] Narrative & world building content in emails. Placeholder and/or missing content for emails is now down to 5%.
  • [CHANGED] Profile setup scaling slightly for resolution testing. Finalized scaling will be implemented close to full release.
  • [REMOVED] Tagline parameter on profile creation. It was never used in the actual game and was just one of the artifacts of the initial game's design.
  • [REMOVED] Light mode from the equation. The game now only supports dark mode. This helps to provide a predictable aesthetic and cuts down lots of arbitrary color testing. EDIT: Accent colors have been partially disabled due to a configuration issue.
  • [REMOVED] Most disabled buttons on desktop scene. Players were getting distracted by these and diminished useful feedback. These buttons will be added back into the game when their functionality is ready for testing.
  • [REMOVED] Confusing '[IRC_INFO]' placeholder in one of starter emails. It seems to have confused some players and was never intended to be an actual address.

Known Issues:
  • A tutorial (of sorts) should be implemented. I have received lots of feedback that the game is actually quite difficult for most. To help with the curve, I will be adding more hints in the future, but not a traditional tutorial (if I can help it). The IRC system is the next big refactor and will be at least two patches away.
  • Route commands (CLI Application) are noticably different from BASH and research will be done in attempts to address this issue. I am not sure if they will be changed or not, but player experience will trump all in the end.
  • Email action feedback is a bit strange at the moment.
  • Main menu profile setup has UI scaling issues. Please provide screenshots with your monitor's resolution for context. This will help me to (hopefully) fix this once and for all.
  • UI colors need to be changed for better aesthetics. I am sure this is no surprise - I hope to fix this by next patch.

That's all (for now)! Gomez
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:26:40 PM by JackofTraes » Logged

"I'm happy anyway..."
JackofTraes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 12:13:35 PM »

[Patch re-upload 9.26.2019 @ 3:40pm (EST)]: The initial build for Patch 1.06 had a small problem with profile creation for some users. This problem has been eradicated and profile creation now functions normally in the re-uploaded patch! I offer my deepest apologies to all that were affected early this morning. Embarrassed

EDIT: I've included screenies for title menu (OP) and note application (last post).

Let me know if you encounter any problems! Gomez
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:27:44 PM by JackofTraes » Logged

"I'm happy anyway..."
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic