Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:29:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWardraw - A tactical party game where you doodle your own characters!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Wardraw - A tactical party game where you doodle your own characters!  (Read 4512 times)
11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 08:21:08 PM »

Melee weapons are in!

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 11:23:12 AM »

Currently 11 weapons are in and fully working. Only one left before a demo is Homing Missile. Then I will be making a few utility items.

Deployable weapons and super weapons were originally planned, since they were features in the original board game. But I decided to scrap them for now. Deployable weapons weren't very good in the board game and I am not sure how to properly balance them with the other weapon types, and their rules were convoluted. Super weapons are overpowered by design, but I want to see how the other weapons will play out first before I consider adding them.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 11:34:11 AM by 11clock » Logged

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 12:10:01 AM »

Homing Missile! This one was kind of convoluted to program, but it's fully functional.

Introducing Utilities! These are free-to-use items to help you get an upper hand on your enemies!

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 07:17:17 PM »

I have been recording playtest sessions. This was my favorite one.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 12:39:14 PM »

New play session. Some additions and modifications, especially to the end-game.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2020, 10:55:40 PM »

Not much different from the last play session (a buff to the Bush item), but I do think that this one is a lot more interesting with some clever plays at various points.

I am not a fan of the 30-40 minute long games, so a time limit is a current priority. It is hard to gauge how much time I should be giving players. Players need time to think, but I have to consider a 4 player game. I will probably start with 90 seconds and see how it turns out.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:27:49 AM by 11clock » Logged

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2020, 04:02:07 PM »

I am adding Rare Items to the game. This class of items by default does not show up as often as the other ones, but their uses are more ambiguous and potentially very powerful under the right situations.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2020, 06:37:00 PM »

New playtest with the 4 Rare Items, and a time limit so that these games stop being 30+ minutes long. Some other balances and adjustments as well.

The core game is basically done by now other than an official win state. So I will be moving on to the character-creation and make the slogan of the game actually true. Then I will be looking into online play, and sfx and music.

Custom rules will be another important feature, but not yet.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2020, 05:33:13 PM »

3 player session is live!

Probably the last session for now. Same content as before, but I wanted to demonstrate what the game is like with more than 2 players.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 03:00:36 AM »

"I don't have fans"… You do now! Kiss That first favourite play session you posted looked like so much fun even at this stage. Would love a full version with single joycon per player on Switch for some sofa play if that'd ever be possible. I'm not a big strategy/tactics buff and this looks like it has just the right level of complexity and approachability to be fun to someone like me.

Do agree with previous poster in not caring too much about drawing custom characters—actually kinda dread it a bit because it feels like someone else might just draw something nasty and ruin the mood. Who, Me? Also would get tiring to wait for four players to draw a whole team of characters each before play can start? Want custom names tho! The default characters are already so cute, and I love their little jiggling. Actually think it looks great in 2D as is too, have you made your mind up yet about 3D?

So I haven't watched the later videos yet, but in case you haven't thought more about those super weapons, I was just wondering if maybe they could make sense for that "sudden death" scenario you ended up with at the end of the first video? Seems to have a lot of neat mechanics to balance things out anyway, like stun and melee versus range. Love the items! And it's great to be able to preview things like explosion range.

Kazooka! Can't wait for the sound effects on that one. Would be a lot of fun if all the weapons were goofy like that IMO. c:

Some colourblind consideration would be good BTW, relying on more than just colours to differentiate teams. Maybe differently shaped life icons for each team or some kind of simple emblem?

Good luck going further!! Coffee
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 03:07:18 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 09:08:31 AM »

"I don't have fans"… You do now! Kiss That first favourite play session you posted looked like so much fun even at this stage. Would love a full version with single joycon per player on Switch for some sofa play if that'd ever be possible. I'm not a big strategy/tactics buff and this looks like it has just the right level of complexity and approachability to be fun to someone like me.

Do agree with previous poster in not caring too much about drawing custom characters—actually kinda dread it a bit because it feels like someone else might just draw something nasty and ruin the mood. Who, Me? Also would get tiring to wait for four players to draw a whole team of characters each before play can start? Want custom names tho! The default characters are already so cute, and I love their little jiggling. Actually think it looks great in 2D as is too, have you made your mind up yet about 3D?

So I haven't watched the later videos yet, but in case you haven't thought more about those super weapons, I was just wondering if maybe they could make sense for that "sudden death" scenario you ended up with at the end of the first video? Seems to have a lot of neat mechanics to balance things out anyway, like stun and melee versus range. Love the items! And it's great to be able to preview things like explosion range.

Kazooka! Can't wait for the sound effects on that one. Would be a lot of fun if all the weapons were goofy like that IMO. c:

Some colourblind consideration would be good BTW, relying on more than just colours to differentiate teams. Maybe differently shaped life icons for each team or some kind of simple emblem?

Good luck going further!! Coffee

Thanks for the input!

A Switch port is planned, but I need to figure out how to make the game comfortable to play with a controller first.

For drawing characters, this will be done in a separate menu from the main game. And default teams will be supplied. As for people drawing NSFW teams, I plan on adding settings to filter such teams as to look like generic characters instead of the actual drawings. For 3D, I decided against it because the current 2D style has been receiving positive feedback and is much easier for me to work with.

Super weapons were replaced with Rare Items and are in the latter two sessions. They are potentially very strong but only in the right situations.

Colorblind is under consideration. I haven’t decided on anything yet, but it is of interest.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2020, 09:26:05 AM »

Cool! Watched a later video too and saw the rare item thing in action as well, seems like fun! Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2020, 05:22:59 PM »

Some updates!

First of all, the game is being renamed to Wardraw. I think that it sounds cooler and better describes the game with less letters. (And hopefully will be less compared to Austin Powers.)

Secondly, I will be rewriting the game's codebase to support Online Multiplayer. This will take a lot of work, so don't expect to hear from me for a while. The plan is to launch an early version of the game as a browser game for others to try. It will feature two rulesets (Beginner and Standard), 20 items, and the ability to draw your own team of characters. I do not know how long I will support this version of the game and am still pondering how it will work later (either will shut it down or keep it up as a "light" version of the game).

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2020, 08:37:00 AM »

Netcoding has been taking quite a lot of work, but it’s getting somewhere. I made a fully functioning online chess clone for practice.

Taking a break from netcode to work on the team creation screen. It’s still a heavy work in progress, but this should give an idea on how it will work.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 08:50:15 AM by 11clock » Logged

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2020, 12:03:01 AM »

With online functionality in place, you can no longer see what your opponents are holding. This will add a lot more surprise to matches, making it easier for players to catch their friends off guard.

In other news, new logo!

BeauBo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2020, 11:16:10 AM »

This is everything I didn't know I wanted in a party game until just now!

It's such a fascinating and interesting concept for a game and I'm glad you are doing said concept justice! I can't wait to play it once it's released!

I was just curious, are there any plans for an input method where players use phones, tablets, etc to connect to a single host to play, similar to things like the Jackbox games? It could allow for players to draw with a touch screen and let you do the item hiding you mentioned in your last post even with local multiplayer, but either way it looks like a ton of fun and definitely a game I'll be fighting to make a staple amongst my friends when we play party games together.

I also think the game's artstyle is a perfect fit for the game! Super charming and clear!

I really look forward to seeing where this game goes! Good luck!
11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2020, 05:29:12 PM »

This is everything I didn't know I wanted in a party game until just now!

It's such a fascinating and interesting concept for a game and I'm glad you are doing said concept justice! I can't wait to play it once it's released!

I was just curious, are there any plans for an input method where players use phones, tablets, etc to connect to a single host to play, similar to things like the Jackbox games? It could allow for players to draw with a touch screen and let you do the item hiding you mentioned in your last post even with local multiplayer, but either way it looks like a ton of fun and definitely a game I'll be fighting to make a staple amongst my friends when we play party games together.

I also think the game's artstyle is a perfect fit for the game! Super charming and clear!

I really look forward to seeing where this game goes! Good luck!

No plans on single PC host + smart phone clients setup, but a mobile port of the game is planned, and it will support cross platform play. The lobby system works exactly like Among Us and Jackbox with a generated room code for other players to use to join in.

Biggest challenge for me so far is screen space. I am trying to keep the game all in one screen, which may cause playing the game on smaller screens to be a bit troublesome. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. For the character creation screen, by default you draw all 6 characters on one screen, but I will add a mode that lets you draw them on different pages for better screen real estate.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 05:40:22 PM by 11clock » Logged

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2021, 06:42:11 PM »

Wardraw now supports online multiplayer. I rewrote the game from scratch to support it, but it really paid off. I also made some other changes to the game, with the biggest ones being hidden inventories, Sudden Death starting sooner but progressing more slowly, and the movement range being increased from 3 to 4 spaces.

Here are some plans I have for the near future based on feedback I received from testers.

Definite
  • In Sudden Death, replace the trees with poison gas, which deals one heart of damage at the end of each of units' turns. Remove Space Swap's Sudden Death nerf.
  • Make Instabush's countdown tick at the end of each turn for the player who threw it, and change the countdown to 3 turns.
  • Allow spending an action to break a unit's stun, but remove temporary stun immunity. Add a new Disabled effect for Warp so that it works the same as before this change.

Under Consideration
  • Make Sudden Death based on turns/rounds instead of characters left on the board. (Most likely will be added as a setting.)
  • Add trees surrounding the board. Slightly nerf the knockback weapons to compensate.

The biggest issue with the game right now is that it's really easy to exploit Sudden Death for kills, which is making it hard for me to balance the endgame. I am going to overhaul Sudden Death to be less... sudden. Instead of spawning trees that instantly kill anything in the way, it will spawn poisonous gas that hurts characters who stand in it.

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2021, 05:49:09 PM »

Sneak peak of the new Sudden Death.

I also decided to add a few new items to spice the game up a bit. Here is the Spring item in action!

11clock
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2021, 12:29:35 PM »

Nothing personal, kid.

Here is a situational, yet deadly ranged weapon.

The previous video on the Spring failed to embed, so here is that as well.

I am finding gifs difficult to share due to their large file sizes, and I am not happy with the amount of compression. I wish I could embed mp4 files.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic