Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:10:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlokaroka
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blokaroka  (Read 1147 times)
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: September 16, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »

Hi all, just creating a devlog for my Open Source project Desktop Bricks. Its a program that lets you play with bricks on top of your desktop windows while you are doing other things!

This is an open source project and we already have a contributor, so if you are looking to get involved, or get some of your code out in the open as a resume stuffer etc, feel free to reach out and join in the project. I'm happy to answer questions if you want to dive in dealing with an issue, all my social contacts are at https://michaelplzno.com so I'm pretty easy to get in touch with!

I keep an active list of the issues with the project and add more as they come up. Hopefully this will be fun for everyone involved!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 06:13:05 PM by michaelplzno » Logged

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 06:12:47 PM »

New project website and build available:

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 12:58:28 AM by michaelplzno » Logged

bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 02:22:21 PM »

this is cute!! thanks for the follow

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 03:33:58 PM »

@bbtombo nice to meet ya!

Here is our logo designed by my other half:

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 03:16:12 PM »

Working on adding a CMake file to the project so that it can generate the project files as well as download additional dependencies like the Box2d physics engine.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 03:24:42 PM »

looks fun, wish i could try it on my mac

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 03:43:39 PM »

Yes!

You are the second person to want Mac support. I have no idea how to do that. I learned a lot of windows graphics code when I was younger and looked some stuff up online which is how I managed to get the bloks to render over a Windows desktop. It actually uses the code Windows has for a frameless window with transparency and then sets it to be the size of the entire desktop.

I do not know how Macs work well enough to do the same trick there. If you know someone who knows Mac development and can contribute to the project I would love to have a Mac build. As of now its very platform dependent.

Edit: I would do Linux too if I could, again I have no clue how that all works.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 01:39:37 PM »

New update v0.02, now the save file is stored to your local user directory instead of being created right next to the .exe file. The code looks for an existing save file in several locations if you already have a build and want to load your old save, but for new players it just saves the info to a good directory.

https://blokaroka.com

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 09:56:39 AM »

v0.04 is up and it has:

-System Tray icon with right click popup menu.
-Easier ways to quit the program.
-Fix bug that lit up bloks incorrectly.
-New application icon.

AND

Hand Thumbs Up Left New Color Themes, get them in the tray menu! Hand Thumbs Up Right

bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 11:32:12 AM »

Yes!

You are the second person to want Mac support. I have no idea how to do that. I learned a lot of windows graphics code when I was younger and looked some stuff up online which is how I managed to get the bloks to render over a Windows desktop. It actually uses the code Windows has for a frameless window with transparency and then sets it to be the size of the entire desktop.

I do not know how Macs work well enough to do the same trick there. If you know someone who knows Mac development and can contribute to the project I would love to have a Mac build. As of now its very platform dependent.

Edit: I would do Linux too if I could, again I have no clue how that all works.

looks like a lot of work, but if you do get it running on mac i would definitely be playing with this at work lmaooooo

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »

@bbtombo - If you know mac devs please network us up with them! I've heard of people using this at work, even my dad used to on the original prototype years ago before he retired. Actually I've read articles that say playing with blocks helps you think, so in some ways if you are using Blokaroka at work it might make you more dynamic in your thinking.

Also, we just launched a new version. We had a code contribution from Atomic Jaye so now we have v0.05 up on https://blokaroka.com

-Cursor turns into hand when hovering over bloks.
-Cursor no longer interacts with items below the bloks.
-Hit box for bloks changed to let you click on the trim.

Grab it now!

suttebun
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 11:46:33 AM »

Cool Hand Thumbs Up Right
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 08:17:08 AM »

Thanks!

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 02:11:09 PM »

Just uploaded v0.06 - a fix to prevent multiple instances using a mutex. This was a community contribution!

Grab the latest build here https://blokaroka.com

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic