Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:48:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[Demo] AdventNEON - Hyperactive 2D Action Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Demo] AdventNEON - Hyperactive 2D Action Platformer  (Read 2616 times)
-NEON-
Level 0

Resonance

View Profile WWW
« on: September 16, 2019, 03:34:14 PM »

Hey guys! I've had this passion project in the works for quite a while now, and I'm incredibly excited to share it with you all and talk about it!

AdventNEON is a 2D action platformer that takes elements from quite a few titles, some of the more major ones being Super Smash Bros., Celeste and Megaman X/Zero/ZX. (As the name suggests, the green guy in the footage is named Neon!)

HOWEVER unlike those games, AdventNEON is designed to give you a feeling of power, speed freedom and stylishness in regards to how you play the game. Attacks are easy to chain into each other; movement can be utilized in a lot of different ways; your power snowballs as you blow through the game without getting hit!

No needing to memorize specific combos or complex inputs; just get in there and hit them.

SPECIFICATIONS
Resolution: 720p HD (Fullscreen can be toggled)
Storage: Allocate at least 100MB of PC storage for AdventNEON
Install/Run: Download the zip from the itch.io link at the bottom of this post.
RAM: If y'all don't have 512MB of RAM in 2020 idk what to tell you.

INPUTS & CONTROLS
(Controls can be checked ingame, too. Check the Options Menu for more.)

Actions: Move, Jump, Dash, Punch, Break Attack (Hold Dash + Punch)
Input Devices: Keyboard, or Gamepad (Xbox and Playstation controllers recommended)
Controllers for both keyboard and gamepad can be configured and saved.

GAME MECHANICS

-Directional Attacks: Just like in platform fighers; press a direction + attack and you'll perform a move based on that direction. These moves change when grounded or in the air.

-Attack Chaining/Canceling: Landing an attack lets you throw out another one instantly, or cancel into a jump/dash.

-Directional Dashing: Ignoring Celeste for a second, you ever play other games where you can dash and ask "but what if I could do them in every direction"? Incredibly fast, versatile, invincible. You get 2 of these before they go on a short cooldown and regenerate. Yes there's wavedashing. Dashes can be canceled into any other action in the game. Use a dash right before getting hit to freeze time and prepare a counterattack.

-Break Attacks (Also Directional!): These are more powerful moves, similar to Smash attacks in Super Smash Bros. The difference here is that they cost one of your 2 dash charges to use, and that you have to press the attack button while holding the dash button to execute it. After dodging with a dash, your counter attack will let you perform one of these without using up a dash charge or holding the dash button.

Nodes: Nodes are the pickups that you find in the game (similar to coins or rings). If you collect 10 regular Nodes, you'll regain a health point! Collect 100 and all your health's immediately restored (You only have 4HP). Nodes are found in the level, when hitting an enemy subsequent times, dodging their attacks, or when KO'ing them. Your source of restoring health in a pinch is being aggressive.

-RESONANCE: Resonance is a souped up combo counter/bonus. With each hit or node collection in a certain time frame, you gain REZ, a direct boost to your damage and speed. With each percentage of REZ, you gain that much damage additively. (I.e. 40% REZ means you deal 40% more damage.) However, you lose this bonus when getting hit or waiting too long.
When reaching 100% REZ, you spike in power dramatically; you deal 2.5x damage, run faster, jump higher and glow green.

Whew, that's a lot.

Alright, after reading those mechanics, you might be thinking "that's jank", and my response is, "You exactly right".

AdventNEON comes from a motivation of simply wanting to be FASTER in a videogame. I absolutely dislike games with incredibly long buffers or animations, or things that you spam the A button 50 times to not go any faster. Clunky menus, attacks that take too long to register, you name it. It's frustrating, and we've all been there, feeling as though the game simply could not keep up with what we wanted to do.

That's why I'm taking it into my own hands to create (and balance) something that lets you go as absolutely berserk as you want, something that can truly keep up with you without leaving you behind.

There are a ton of challenges, pros and cons to an approach like this, but I still believe that what I'm going for here can be, or at least will become a fun experience, and I'm willing to stick with it for as long as it takes to make it so. I'm working on this entire game alone, and I'm willing to put in all the effort on the planet to make it a fun, fast and fluid experience. (I absolutely REFUSE to be one of those people who has to ask at the end of development if their game is even fun.)

If you're interested by what you've read here, or feel that you can easily break the game yourself with Neon's level of power,  then try it out and tell me for yourself what you think!

If you've taken the time to read all of this, or even just click the link below, then I sincerely thank you!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:58:11 AM by -NEON- » Logged

brizzle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 12:29:57 PM »

Man that is some great artwork, well done! Will you be putting anything out that can be run on a Mac?
-NEON-
Level 0

Resonance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 06:45:57 AM »

Man that is some great artwork, well done! Will you be putting anything out that can be run on a Mac?

Hey! Really appreciate it man! Smiley

Sorry for the late response, but yeah, I definitely plan on releasing a Mac build as well!

I'll probably say "with the next demo update", as there's a few changes I've made since posting here!

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 08:59:52 PM »

Hey Neon,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

-NEON-
Level 0

Resonance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 07:16:25 AM »

Hey Neon,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

Hey, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to do this! I left a comment on your video yesterday, and I took notes based on what I saw. I've already made quite a few changes on my local build since looking at it (ex: you can now dash forward by pressing the dash button when not holding a direction; this was not the case for the current demo!).

Updates will be uploaded (hopefully) this week! In the meantime I'll try to find some more time to explore the forum.

-NEON-
Level 0

Resonance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 05:29:17 PM »

Build's been updated on Itch! I'll post more about it in the devlog, but all of Neon's sprites have been updated alongside some mechanics and level updates!

Also forgive me but there unfortunately won't be a Mac build for some time because I didn't realize that to build for a Mac, that I need a Mac. Facepalm There may be one in the future but for now, that requires money that I don't have.

-NEON-
Level 0

Resonance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 08:45:07 AM »

I know this is a necro post, but this game's been completely reworked, with a brand new playtest available!

The original post's been updated to reflect the changes, and you can check out the devlog post I just put up here!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic