Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1367801 Posts in 64168 Topics- by 56085 Members - Latest Member: Dragonslayerdude

October 16, 2019, 12:37:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[Pre-Alpha] AdventNEON - 2D Combat Platformer With TRUE Speed
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Pre-Alpha] AdventNEON - 2D Combat Platformer With TRUE Speed  (Read 298 times)
-NEON-
Level 0

Resonance

View Profile WWW
« on: September 16, 2019, 03:34:14 PM »

Hey guys! I've had this passion project in the works for quite a while now, and I'm incredibly excited to share it with you all and talk about it!!

AdventNEON is a 2D platformer/beat-em-up that takes elements from quite a few titles, some of the more major ones being Super Smash Bros. and Megaman X/Zero/ZX. (As the name suggests, the green guy in the trailers is Neon!)

HOWEVER unlike those games, AdventNEON is designed to give you a ton of power, a ton of speed, and absolute control of what you're doing on almost any given frame (granted you land your attacks).

There's little commitment to attacks, tons of ways to dodge damage, and you can go completely berserk on your keyboard or gamepad and have the game respond immediately to the vast majority of your inputs.

No needing to memorize combos, complex inputs, frame data, or what have you. Just get in there and hit them.

SPECIFICATIONS
Resolution: 720p HD (Fullscreen can be toggled)
Storage: Allocate at least 200MB of PC storage for AdventNEON
Install/Run: Download the zip from the itch.io link at the bottom of this post.
RAM: If y'all don't have 512MB of RAM in 2019 idk what to tell you.

INPUTS & CONTROLS
(Controls can be checked ingame, too. Check the Options Menu for more.)

-Controls/Actions: Move [WSAD/Arrows], Jump[Space/C], Dash [O/X], Punch [P/Z]

-KEYBOARD CONTROLS ARE REMAPPABLE Each action outside of Movement can be mapped to up to two keys. Tap Jump (pressing up to jump) can be toggled on or off, as well (off by default).

Gamepad support: Most generic gamepads should (hopefully) be supported; gamepad controls cannot be remapped yet, but Tap Jump can be toggled, just like on keyboard.

GAME MECHANICS
I'm gonna try to explain all the basics here, as this game, despite how early it is in development, is a bit unorthodox.

-Directional Attacks: Just like in platform fighters, the attacks you do are influenced by what direction you're holding at the time! (Also all your normal attack hitboxes come out frame 1; have fun with that).

-Aerial Attacks: Attack properties change based on if you're on the ground or in the air.

-Charged Attacks (Also Directional!): Similar to but unlike Megaman, you don't have one charge attack, but 4. They can be performed in the air as well. However, there are even more to these, which I will cover soon. Diagonal inputs influence the vertical attacks.

-Omnidirectional/Air Dashing: Ignoring Celeste for a second, you ever play other games where you can dash and ask "but what if I could do them in every direction"? Incredibly fast, versatile, invincible. You get 2 of these before they go on a short cooldown and regenerate. Yes there's wavedashing. Dashes can be canceled into any other action in the game.

RESONANT SERIES: Ever hear of a Magic Series? It lets you immediately cancel an attack into another attack if it lands. However, this game's version of it allows you to cancel a landed (uncharged) attack into any other action in the game. Thanks to this mechanic, every normal attack can chain into another attack, jump, dash or even itself. You decide how you want to play. Charge attacks cannot be canceled, however, and this is because of another mechanic called...

RESONANCE: Resonance is a souped up combo counter. With each hit in a certain time frame, you gain REZ, a direct boost to the damage of your next charge attack. Landing a charge attack that doesn't kill the enemy will expend your REZ, resetting your damage boost. Taking damage also removes your REZ. There is a Resonance cap, which also serves as your damage cap, which will be able to be increased as development progresses.

RESONANCE COUNTER/REVERSAL: If you dash RIGHT before getting hit, your dash will turn green, and (if you don't input any actions), you'll briefly have free range of movement (even in the air). From this state, if you press attack, your next attack will be a faster charged attack. The charged attack done through this method will not consume REZ, meaning your damage boost is maintained through subsequent reversals. (Not to mention that performing a counter restores your dashes, meaning you can literally fly if you keep dodging attacks at the right time.)

Nodes: Nodes are the pickups that you find in the game (similar to coins or rings). If you collect 10 regular Nodes, you'll regain a health point! Collect 100 and all your health's immediately restored (You only have 4HP). Nodes are found in the level, when hitting an enemy subsequent times, or when killing an enemy. Your source of restoring health in a pinch is being aggressive.

Whew, that's a lot.

Alright, after reading those mechanics (or looking above this sentence), you might be thinking "that's jank", and my response is, "You exactly right".

AdventNEON comes from a motivation of simply wanting to be FASTER in a videogame. I absolutely dislike games with incredibly long buffers or animations, or things that you spam the A button 50 times to not go any faster. Clunky menus, attacks that take too long to register, you name it. It's frustrating, and we've all been there, feeling as though the game simply could not keep up with what we wanted to do.

That's why I'm taking it into my own hands to create (and balance) something that lets you go as absolutely berserk as you want, something that can keep up with your button mashing.

There are a ton of challenges, pros and cons to an approach like this, but I still believe that what I'm going for here can be, or at least will become a fun experience, and I'm willing to stick with it for as long as it takes to make it so. I'm working on this entire game alone, and I'm willing to put in all the effort on the planet to make it a fun, fast and free experience. (I absolutely REFUSE to be one of those people who has to ask at the end of development if their game is even fun.)

If you're interested by what you've read here, or feel that you can easily break the game yourself with Neon's level of power,  then try it out and tell me for yourself what you think!

If you've taken the time to read all of this, or even just click the link below, then I sincerely thank you!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 02:08:53 PM by -NEON- » Logged

brizzle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 12:29:57 PM »

Man that is some great artwork, well done! Will you be putting anything out that can be run on a Mac?
-NEON-
Level 0

Resonance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 06:45:57 AM »

Man that is some great artwork, well done! Will you be putting anything out that can be run on a Mac?

Hey! Really appreciate it man! Smiley

Sorry for the late response, but yeah, I definitely plan on releasing a Mac build as well!

I'll probably say "with the next demo update", as there's a few changes I've made since posting here!

jbarrios
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 08:59:52 PM »

Hey Neon,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

-NEON-
Level 0

Resonance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 07:16:25 AM »

Hey Neon,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

Hey, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to do this! I left a comment on your video yesterday, and I took notes based on what I saw. I've already made quite a few changes on my local build since looking at it (ex: you can now dash forward by pressing the dash button when not holding a direction; this was not the case for the current demo!).

Updates will be uploaded (hopefully) this week! In the meantime I'll try to find some more time to explore the forum.

-NEON-
Level 0

Resonance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 05:29:17 PM »

Build's been updated on Itch! I'll post more about it in the devlog, but all of Neon's sprites have been updated alongside some mechanics and level updates!

Also forgive me but there unfortunately won't be a Mac build for some time because I didn't realize that to build for a Mac, that I need a Mac. Facepalm There may be one in the future but for now, that requires money that I don't have.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic