Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1370453 Posts in 64468 Topics- by 56532 Members - Latest Member: Aevv01

December 15, 2019, 02:10:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)First "proper" animation, what do ya think?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First "proper" animation, what do ya think?  (Read 301 times)
RavingRaptor
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2019, 07:38:58 AM »

So, this is my first real animation so far, one thats actually done.
It's based on the "Whip Sword" and it's animation from Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

Please tell me what you think!

Siavellez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 03:22:45 PM »

Not bad! Pretty good! My only criticism would be that the foot look very unnatural in this animation because of the direction you put them in.

1000h
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »

A lot of what I'll write probably seems curt or brief; I unfortunately deleted my first draft, so I'm doing it more quickly this time;  I forgot some stuff I wrote at first so I may edit later.

First, to get it out of the way, in the case of Castlevania animations, I think they're smooth, but a lot of them are unarguably clunky, so they might not be the best to reference at first.

The most important thing about animation is the key frames.  That means, 3-4 solid drawings with all the right motion, details, positioning.  An animation with 24 frames with rough drawings doesn't compare to 3 frames of good drawings.  Don't start tweening until you get your key-frames right.

Now that I've shared some general thoughts, some particulars on your drawing:

If I were to take the whip away from your drawing, it would look more like someone tossing a light object, then getting pushed in the back having their chest pop forward a bit.  See: getting the key frames.

As you stated you referenced Castlevania's animation; despite this, the castlevania animation does not properly represent how a whip is used so it can be misleading.

In your drawing you don't draw the hip axis.  The hip is the center of gravity and of power of humans.  The hip axis is incredibly important when drawing creatures, always.

Another thing regards your tablet use; there is no line weight.  Line-weight is beautiful and critical to any drawing or frame and represents how the weight moves around the body: thicker is heavy, thinner is light.  This applies to animation frames.

I scanned in some frames because what I can write can't compare to me just showing you what I mean.  They were all drawn on the same page.  I highly recommend only using a tablet to correct your scanned-in drawings.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic