Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:45:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPrototype: Single Combat Against AI Foes
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Prototype: Single Combat Against AI Foes  (Read 1045 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2019, 10:58:22 AM »

[Update] The download links now point to IndieDB, rather than DropBox [/Update]

What Is It?

In short: Single combat, the player against a foe; and a reworking of the combat mechanic for A Door to the Mists.

This mechanic includes no attrition of health between encounters: a given enemy either kills you, or they don't. But conversely, each encounter is intended to stand by itself: there are no trash-mobs here!

In the full game, these enemies would be encountered while exploring and traversing a level; on entering a certain range of the foe, the game would switch to the "combat world" shown in this prototype. For the sake of the prototype, however, only the "combat world" is present.

Download Links:

Windows 64-bit Build | Linux 64-bit Build

Details:

This is a major reworking of the combat mechanic for A Door to the Mists (devlog), in response to feedback given on that game's demo. While the fundamental concept remains the same, the control-system and AI have both been significantly overhauled, and the mechanic slightly streamlined overall.

Full instructions on how to play are included in-game, but the basic idea is:
  • Indicate defence/attack direction via WASD or arrow-keys
  • Attack with space or left mouse-button
  • Dodge with control or right mouse-button

While the full game is intended to include controller support, I'm afraid that this prototype only supports keyboard-and/or-mouse.

The prototype provides two enemies: one easy, representing an early-game encounter, and one hard, representing a late-game encounter.

This does admittedly mean that the prototype lacks a build-up of difficulty, somewhat throwing one into the deep-end with the harder foe. Still, this can perhaps be ameliorated somewhat using the accessibility options mentioned below.

And as is intended for the full game, there are a number of accessibility options, available from the "options" menu. These include options for limiting the enemy AI, having enemies give the player more time to react (or less! Wink), disabling certain motion effects, and more. It even includes "Explorer Mode", which has the computer handle combat in place of the player!

Feedback Requested:

I'm primarily looking for critique on the mechanic itself, the AI, and the controls. However, other thoughts are also welcome!

Do please note, however, that most of the assets are stand-ins; they should not be taken to be indicative of the final quality or style of the full game!

Known Issues:
  • On some systems, walking animations may run too quickly.
  • There is no proper tutorial.
    • This is intended to be present in the full game, but is omitted in the prototype. Instead, the prototype just includes a simple text-based "how to play" screen.

System Requirements:

Uncertain. However, it runs well on the following spec, so it seems likely that it'll be fine on something better, and perhaps even something a little worse:
  • CPU: Core i5 2.5GHz x 4
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Graphics: GeForce GT 525M

PS: If you're curious to see some of the AI data in action, press "\" while the prototype is running. The game should now display an overlay during combat that presents various pieces of data used by the AI system. Fair warning, however: it's all unlabelled!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:37:26 AM by Thaumaturge » Logged

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 07:27:43 AM »

Hey Thaumaturge,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 09:27:11 AM »

Thinking that perhaps some might be put off by a DropBox link, I've uploaded the prototype to IndieDB.

The first post has been updated--but for the sake of convenience, let me post the new links here, too:

Windows 64-bit Build | Linux 64-bit Build

Hey Thaumaturge,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

Thank you very much! I really appreciate that! And I'm really happy that you seem to have enjoyed the game, and that you felt it to have potential! :D

Regarding the title: This prototype just covers a single mechanic from a larger game (that being A Door to the Mists). Thus "Combat Prototype" is the "final title" for this prototype, but not for the game that it's intended to serve.

Regarding ways to vary the combat: I do indeed have a number of ideas in mind for other enemies! (Including at least one that uses two weapons. Wink) Hopefully I'll provide enough variation to keep things interesting. ^_^

Regarding follow-up attacks directly after being parried: There is an element of that (as you found against that lizardfolk). However, as with all attacks, if the enemy is inclined to expect it based on your recent actions, then they're more ready for it, and thus defend more quickly.

Thank you very much for all of your feedback--it's much appreciated! ^_^

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic