Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:36:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPeaks of Yore
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Peaks of Yore  (Read 21967 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2020, 03:05:13 AM »

Share more, I insist Well, hello there!

Seriously, in my experience this is the kind of forum where game developers love to exchange high-level (or even low-level) technical discussions
andos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2020, 01:54:54 AM »

I'm definitely interested at least! Gomez

Good to know, and thanks!

Share more, I insist Well, hello there!

Seriously, in my experience this is the kind of forum where game developers love to exchange high-level (or even low-level) technical discussions

Might have to now!
Yeah, I agree. I enjoy doing the more technical posts as well as less information-heavy ones, so guess I'll mix it up a bit to keep some ebb and flow.

andos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2020, 10:44:24 AM »

Update

Been busy with life stuff so haven't had much time to work on the game, but I thought I would show a few screenshots of the new volumetric clouds.
The old skies and clouds were basically just an inverted hemisphere with a scrolling seamless clouds texture layered on top of each other. Since the player is also looking up a lot of the time, I thought it would breathe a little more life into the environment by having procedurally generated clouds that had a bit more depth. I am currently using the fantastic OverCloud system by Felix Westin.

The system can be tweaked endlessly, so the clouds for each peak will have different heights, scale, fluffiness, and speed depending on the weather type on each individual level.

Here's a few screenshots with the new clouds, and a sneak peek on a couple of new areas.

Some of the skies need a bit of tweaking but I'll leave that for polishing later.

Characters

Another thing that I'm slightly excited about, is bringing in a couple of NPC characters that the player would encounter as they progress through the game. These NPCs would be going about their own business, but I do have a few things in mind for them interacting with the player.

At the moment, the only thing preventing me from creating NPCs that talk and interact with the player, is the heaps of work it would take, and also because the game has been developed from the start with only the player in mind as a character - the idea of going about on your own climbs in solitude.

Personally, I think it would bring light-hearted charm to the game and some potential for story-elements which the game is currently lacking, but it would be nice to hear other opinions on this - NPCs vs climbing alone (black screen with text only encounters)?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 03:57:17 AM by andos » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2020, 10:53:56 AM »

Gorgeous! Kiss Is it intentional that they're not getting the same diagonal stripes as the rest of the graphics? Different clouds for each peak sounds great for a game where, as you say, you spend a lot of time looking up.

the only thing preventing me from […] is the heaps of work it would take

Ain't this the truth of any creative endeavour Cheesy Seriously tho, people to meet sounds like a really cool addition, looking forward to it!

andos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2020, 02:51:53 AM »

Gorgeous! Kiss Is it intentional that they're not getting the same diagonal stripes as the rest of the graphics?

Thank you! The stripes / dithering effect is applied based on a luminance threshold, so the clouds are only picking it up if they get really dark. I really like when the clouds pick it up, so I'll probably have to do some more tweaking to get better results on each individual map.
I have found though that the dithering only looks nice on the clouds when the weather or atmosphere on the level is dark / moody, so for most maps the clouds will not have the dithering. If the area is sunny with a couple of clouds getting the dither effect, the stripes becomes pretty jarring.

Example from the Lighthouse map:

... Ain't this the truth of any creative endeavour Cheesy Seriously tho, people to meet sounds like a really cool addition, looking forward to it!

Very true!  Cheesy Good to hear another opinion on it though. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 03:08:20 AM by andos » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2020, 06:20:38 AM »

Ohh, that’s interesting. And you don’t want lines where it’s bright? Shocked

andos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2021, 08:56:31 AM »

Ohh, that’s interesting. And you don’t want lines where it’s bright? Shocked

Nope, just the darker formations. I'm thinking there'll only be a few maps with very dark skies, so I'm sure it wont be too distracting.  Coffee

andos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2021, 08:57:42 AM »

After a long hiatus, it feels great to be back and working on this!

Route Setter Tool

Since the beginning of the project I have been manually placing all holds by duplicating, moving, and rotating each individual hold. This process of creating levels makes it a thousand times more tedious than it needs to be, so I decided that I needed a tool to make the level creation process easier and faster.

A nice bonus of working in Unity is that it is easily extendable and has some nice built in 3D GUI drawing. Between my day-to-day work and this, I've only spent a few nights on it, but its now in a state where I can make a lot more progress on the list of levels I have planned.

The tool has two components that makes putting objects in the scene very easy:

• Collections/palettes
  • Prefab selection

The 'collections' is basically a Scriptable Object that asks for a list of prefabs. This means that I can have a collection of climbable rock prefabs, a collection for obstacles, and a collection for environmental assets with each of these collections having any number of defined prefabs.
This collections and prefab selection system is based on the functionality of ChevyRay's PrefabPalette.

The Tool

One of the crucial things I needed for this tool was measuring the distance between the last holds I've been placing, as well as selected holds.
Currently, the max length in units that the player can reach reliably is anything below 1.50 units/meters.

Selecting two holds shows the distance between them, and if the distance is safe or too far.

There are some contingencies though. The distance of 1.5 meters is only reliably safe if the holds are more horizontal to each other. Once a hold is 1.5 meters straight above another, the hold becomes a lot harder to reach and requires both using side-to-side swing momentum and also swinging slightly backwards while pulling up.

To fix this, I simply compare whether the hold I am currently about to place is too far above the last hold I placed.

The whole point of this measuring system was basically to eliminate the need to playtest as much. There have been too many times before, where I have been recklessly placing holds and not been able to get the distance right - only realising when playtesting that the holds were way too far apart.

For more specific cases like the Slopers (which all have widely different sizes), measuring between the objects shell and the last hold is crucial since there can be a wide distance between what part of the Sloper is reachable if its facing a certain way.

To solve this, I use a sphere cast from the last hold placed to the newly created Sloper. This way I can more reliably get the distance information I need from weird edge cases like this. The cast only happens whenever I have just placed a Sloper or selected one, as I usually need to rotate them a bit more manually. If the cast is from a Sloper and not a normal rock hold, the cast is started from the shell of the first Sloper gets the distance information when it hits the last one.

The sphere cast is nice because I can get away with just casting towards the general direction of the Sloper to get whichever part of it sticks out the most and closest to the previous hold.

The green ball represents the nearest point where the distance is measured.

Two other features I added for the tool were buttons for easy selection and focus of the Player and Summit, since these are two objects that get kind of lost within the scene hierarchy and I need to tweak regularly when adding features or placing the start and end of each level.

Another small but useful feature I've added to the tool is a toggle to have the route visualized in the scene view. When creating a level, some of the rock holds usually disappear for me, mostly due to the visual style, so this feature is great when I need to see the entire route throughout the level. It takes in account all of the rocks I have placed, including other types of holds like Slopers and Micro holds.

The last feature I added was the ability to paint/drag place rocks. When painting, this allows me to continuously place rocks with a set distance, defined by the Placing Distance value. This value can be changed by holding Alt and scrolling up or down with the mouse scroll wheel, so it's very useful when I need to place a whole bunch of holds.

This feature is also extra useful when I need to populate a level with a lot of environmental assets. Applying a random scale to this also gives great results and faster environment creation. I have also made the feature toggle-able by hotkey which always makes working easier.

The lightbluish outer circle is the range of the Placing Distance.

The last two features I added were surface offset, which is self-explantory, and a hotkey to randomise the rotation on the go. The surface offset was needed because some of the holds clip more or less into the wall depending on the type of hold. The randomising rotation on the go is also super useful. The scaling and rotation modes were adopted from PrefabPalette, but modified heavily to suit my needs.

I'm happy I got down to it and actually worked on this a bit more extensively than I had originally planned, because this will end up saving me a lot of time in both playtesting and level design.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:40:24 PM by andos » Logged

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2021, 11:53:06 PM »

That is a really handy tool for your process, I'm sure you will not regret having invested the time to make it.

I just digged into your devlog and can't praise the concept and execution of your game enough. From what I have seen so far, the tone and feeling it conveys is just incredible. I'm looking forward to see more of this wonderful piece!

andos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2021, 09:05:51 AM »

That is a really handy tool for your process, I'm sure you will not regret having invested the time to make it.

Definitely! I regret not having done it sooner. Tools development is a lot of fun actually!

I just digged into your devlog and can't praise the concept and execution of your game enough. From what I have seen so far, the tone and feeling it conveys is just incredible. I'm looking forward to see more of this wonderful piece!

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate that!  Coffee

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2021, 06:21:15 AM »

That is really cool. Looks so professional with all those gizmos. Also funny to see the arm in the editor viewport. Tongue

andos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2021, 10:30:23 AM »

That is really cool. Looks so professional with all those gizmos. Also funny to see the arm in the editor viewport. Tongue

Thanks! Until recently, I haven't been using gizmos/debugging that much, but I've found that it's incredibly useful (and satisfying too!). Tools development is super fun!

andos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2023, 10:50:40 AM »

Release update!

It's been a long time since I've posted any devlog updates to this project.
I would've loved to keep this devlog going if I had the time on top of working a full-time job, but unfortunately this wasn't going to happen.

With that said, I haven't been idle on this project and very I'm happy to announce that Peaks of Yore is finally out!

Click above to go to Steam!

Release Trailer

This project has been in development for a little over 4 years, and I'm very happy I stuck with it throughout. As I was kind of learning as I went along, I did refactor a bunch of code and reworked a bunch things while I also added new things on top of this.

It was a long project, so it will definitely be nice to have a break and then work on fresh projects!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 01:16:45 PM by andos » Logged

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2023, 12:08:45 PM »

Grrrreat to hear! Checking it out on Steam...

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2023, 01:55:57 PM »

Awesome, so cool to see the game released. Congratulations!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic