Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 04:44:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignCollaboration process/tools?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Collaboration process/tools?  (Read 1513 times)
keki
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2019, 09:10:53 PM »

Hey all,

I'm about to start 1st year game design course in uni and have just moved across the other side of the country. I will miss my game design buddies from back home and we were wondering how you guys go about on collaborating remotely on new games, specifically:

- Do you use any tools to flesh out your initial ideas and can you do it in real-time remotely in a collaborative fashion?
- How do you manage and track feedback from your prototypes/beta tests? is it just word of mouth or free text and what do you do with that feedback?

Thanks for taking the time to read my message, I posted here because it's a super forum and love how open, honest and supportive everyone is!

Cheers,
Dune
Level 0

Hey!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 01:44:21 PM »

Hi, keki, welcome to the TIGSource forums! I love how supportive it is here, too. I'm also a university game student, and here are some of the tools I use to collaborate on projects with my friends and classmates:

-Making your own Slack or Discord is great for communicating by text or audio/video call, organzing the conversation into different #channels, and sending files (though the filesize limit can be annoying). You could make specific channels for listing feedback you receive from playtesting. Slack is a little nicer and more professional than Discord but they're very similar and Discord is free, so... we usually use Discord.  Tongue

-Trello is an awesome website where you can make task cards and checklists that anyone you add to the group can edit or add their own cards. It's free, you can tell who added what since everyone has their own icon, and it's great for staying organized and figuring out what needs to be done.

-We also use good ol' Google Drive for filesharing and Google Docs when we all need to collaborate on something like a design document, presentation, brainstorming session, or list of tasks and objectives.

-GitHub is useful for tracking version changes made to code, it's often used by programmers. It takes some setup and understanding how to use Git but if you have any serious coders in your group it's good to look into. I want to say you can also use it for tracking updates to your game in general, but my knowledge of GitHub comes secondhand. Shrug

-On my personal projects, I make an excel spreadsheet where I keep track of feedback, known issues, and changed I've implemented. People get to play my games in person here at school so I sit next to them and take notes in a notebook as they play, and later I evaluate my notes and think about what worked well and what didn't. Then I make changes to my game, try to find new playtesters, and repeat. It's the process of iteration, something you'll learn a lot about in game design. If your playtesters are remote/online, you can also ask them to record videos of them playing your game so you can still get the experience of watching them play. Of course, just getting feedback notes from them in a message, forum post, or email is helpful, too. Right now I'm an alpha playtester for a game and they have a Discord server, a forum, and an email where I can send them my written feedback (I prefer emailing them), and when I find weird bugs I record it in OBS and send them a video.

-Google Hangouts is another option for realtime communication, but Discord/Slack usually meets our needs so I haven't used it as much.

-Dropbox and Mediafire are also great for filesharing.

Usually my friends and I use a combination of these tools to get everything done, but we rely on Discord, Trello, and Google Drive the most. I hope this helps! Finding out what works for you and your team can be tricky at first but there are a lot of useful tools out there.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 09:19:22 AM »

You can also set up a wiki on a private website for your team.

kason.xiv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »

1. Slack

2. Github

3. Google docs
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic