Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:08:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChoky Suppression! - Minimalistic, fast-phased First person shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Choky Suppression! - Minimalistic, fast-phased First person shooter  (Read 2142 times)
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2019, 06:14:36 AM »

It's a First person shooter I just happened to make while working on the other project.(Night of the little birds)

This game is inspired by the 80s and early 90s first person shooters including Battlezone, Encounter!(and its spiritual successor Backlash), Spectre, Midimaze (Faceball 2000), and Spectre.

These games are technically 2D Top-down shooter with first person perspective, Where the levels are made of flat grounds and You can't look or aim up and down.

People may call them outdated today, But I have a strange fetish to those primitive Flat-ground fitst person shooters.

Since I don't have to care looking up or down, The controls are very simple so as to the gameplay, and I always like that simple aspect.

The concept of this game is a simple but very frantic shooter, like 'Encounter!' for atari 8-bit.

All the controls you need is WASD and mouse and enemies die in one hit. However, they are also very fast and smart that you can't just strafe around to avoid them.

Using the maze walls and radars to avoid enemies' fire and moving quickly is a key to survive.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 07:26:56 PM by hijong park » Logged
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 06:24:59 AM »

Why is all the text "glowing"? It draws my attention, but there is nothing really to see. Shields are full, score isn't important during play...

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 06:47:06 AM »

This game is in development so nothing is balanced at this moment. That's why the game doesn't give any scores and health bonuses are too abundant.

The glowing texts are the inspirations of williams electronics arcade games:

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 08:34:51 AM »

This looks great! I love the font choices. My one complaint would be that the doors don't really read like doors to my eyes - it took me a bit to figure out why sections of the walls seemed to be shifting around in the video.

Even without sound effects in, the game feel seems pretty good, but that's a big missing component... I usually try to at least have some placeholder audio by this point in a game's development cycle. I think even a very basic soundscape would add quite a lot of life to this.

hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 07:32:38 PM »

This looks great! I love the font choices. My one complaint would be that the doors don't really read like doors to my eyes - it took me a bit to figure out why sections of the walls seemed to be shifting around in the video.

Even without sound effects in, the game feel seems pretty good, but that's a big missing component... I usually try to at least have some placeholder audio by this point in a game's development cycle. I think even a very basic soundscape would add quite a lot of life to this.

You are right, I'll start adding sounds as this point. I took several days to make the basic gameplay first.
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 08:34:40 PM »

The middle exam is ended and I made some progress today!

- Added sounds.

- Almost finished 2 main modes.

- Added Subweapons : 3-way bullets, Homing missile, Clocking device, Stopper, and Hyper boost,

- Added Day/Night cycle.

- Improved maze generation.

Now I have to make the online scoreboard.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 07:41:01 AM »

Looks awesome, nice work! Those sounds are a perfect fit.

hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 07:27:42 PM »

https://gamejolt.com/games/ChokySuppression/448184

Choky Suppression! is now completed. Any feedbacks about the gameplay are welcome!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic