Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1377475 Posts in 65411 Topics- by 57704 Members - Latest Member: printmagic

May 27, 2020, 12:32:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDodger Max - The World's Hardest 3D Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dodger Max - The World's Hardest 3D Platformer  (Read 196 times)
OJ Navarro
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2019, 08:34:20 AM »

Hey, how are you guys doing?
My name is OJ and I’m trying to make a 3D platformer.

What is Dodger Max?
Dodger Max is a hard AF linear 3D platformer. It features a level editor so players can create and share levels on it.

Why linear?
Most platformers 2D or 3D fall into the design category of either linear or exploratory.

Exploration-based platformers are your typical Metroidvania or collecathon platformer where discovery, novelty, and variety are the primary source of player engagement. Notable examples of these include Metroid, Castlevania, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, Spyro, Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet & Clank

Linear platformers on the other hand usually derive player engagement from challenge and skill. They keep the player’s attention by running them through a series of increasingly difficult gauntlet of obstacles and situations. Good examples of these include Super Meat Boy, Shovel Knight, DuckTales, Rayman Origins, Mega Man, Mega Man X, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Crash Bandicoot, Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario 3D World.

Challenge vs Exploration
Exploration games are great for what it is all but they usually come at the expense of challenge. If you play 3D exploration platformers, you’ve probably noticed that there is generally a lack of challenging sections. Now why the heck are they like that you might ask. There are several answers to that question but here’s a few:

Open Worlds Have a Lower Challenge Density
You see, exploration games by definition require the existence of huge interconnected worlds to navigate. These large worlds are really fun as a player to explore, but as a developer it is also really expensive and time consuming to fill your world up with challenges.

Camera and Controls are Difficult to Design and Refine in 3D
I think there’s a lot of developers who shy away from more challenge-based obstacle-oriented precision platforming in 3D because it’s not as easy to do as 2D precision platforming. In 3D there’s the added complexity of having to deal with camera angles and depth perception issues.

Feedback
What do you think? Comments? Feedback? Violent reactions? Suggestions? Am I doing something poorly? Want to say something random? Let me know.

Have an awesome day.
- OJ

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 01:33:01 AM by OJ Navarro » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic