Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:15:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHow do you make games in 2019?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: How do you make games in 2019?  (Read 13102 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2020, 06:55:37 AM »

Time to update the thread title: How do you make games in 2020? A lot has changed.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2020, 05:05:49 AM »

Sadly, a lot of my gamedev time is dealing with bugs that are outside my control at this point. Very upsetting that I'll jump through days worth of hoops to get my stuff running on an iPhone only to find that there are bugs on some people's machine that involve all sorts of wacky non scientific issues like "I looked at my phone wrong and then it crashed" So I get a bug report like that and idk what to do to fix it.

But I still do the gamedev stuff, because people respect the field so much.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2020, 11:38:15 PM »

Sadly, a lot of my gamedev time is dealing with bugs that are outside my control at this point. Very upsetting that I'll jump through days worth of hoops to get my stuff running on an iPhone only to find that there are bugs on some people's machine that involve all sorts of wacky non scientific issues

Having the same experience lately. I think some of my frustration lies in my primary tool these days: Unity. Itching to finally give Godot or Unreal more of a shot, but I feel like an expert in Unity's particular quirks. I seem somewhat wedded to it at this point. Probably that's a sign I should experiment with new tech!

@doomlaser, mark johns
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2020, 07:57:05 PM »

I wish it were just Unity, I started working with HTML5 and its got its own set of bugaboos. Just generally my life feels like a coffee mug that is partly over the edge of the table. It won't fall right? But I wish I could just move it to the center of the table or get one of those fancy thermoses with a lid or something.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2020, 05:14:47 AM »

I felt this way until switching to Godot... I remember the tipping point was I was trying new tech, it was JavaScript with some nice library, and I just... I couldn't get stuff rendering. And I thought to myself, why am I struggling so much with this when Godot (and other visual scene-view engines) does it out of the box and more?

I think if you commit to moving that mug to the center of the table it's possible, you just have to be willing to give up on some complexity, flexibility, freedom. You gotta prioritize having a comfortable workflow over a powerful one.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2020, 11:31:38 AM »

Sigh, sadly you are right @drogen Though I heard reports of Godot being buggy from a dev friend. The Javascript HTML5 stuff is pretty promising to me, I LOVE the rendering system for it where you can just type Lineto(x,y) which is so different from polygon based systems. I've made some interesting little gfx with that, but alas.

The universe will have its way, too powerful to master.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2020, 03:12:31 PM »

Hmm how long ago and what kinda bugs? I remember trying Godot in 2018 sometime and finding it awful and buggy. Came back to it late last year sometime and loved it. It felt like it got way more solid REALLY fast.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2020, 03:51:23 PM »

IIRC it was about a year ago, it may have improved since then. I'm also not too excited about getting into an engine that can never do consoles without having the entire thing ported over myself.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2020, 04:52:08 PM »

Yeah, I'm not too jazzed about that either, though I hear there is a porting studio that's done the work? I dunno, I'll burn that bridge when I cross it

Actually I should probably contact them now, hmm

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2020, 04:45:07 PM »

That's another battle sadly. I heard that even the great Super Meat Boy himself had a giant gaffe when he hired someone to port the game and they just flaked. Also I've never really shared any of my code other than my open source project.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2020, 06:22:42 PM »

I mean... just because one guy had a problem with hiring one person to port something doesn't mean hiring someone to port something is doomed to fail or even likely to fail.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2020, 07:30:54 PM »

I, for one, am really interested in Godot. The rate at which is appears to be improving impresses me, and from the outside, it seems to be engineered a bit better than Unity at its core.

@doomlaser, mark johns
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2020, 01:56:58 AM »

http://vectorbelly.com/waitingforgrodoudou.html

Is the engine based on the play?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile