Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:14:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMission Zigloton: A dark and funny 2d adventure platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mission Zigloton: A dark and funny 2d adventure platformer  (Read 1351 times)
Ben Lega
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2019, 06:01:17 AM »

Hello!

I'm Ben Lega and this is the very first devlog entry concerning the game I'm currently working on.

With this game, I want to create a small but polished experience that would allow me to learn all the steps required for the succesfull first release of a game.

I plan the game to be a full story with a length of approximately 1h.

The game is developped in Godot and will be playable on PC/Linux/Mac.

--- EDIT ---

You can download it for free on steam using the following link:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1236070/Mission_Zigloton/?

Story
The intergalatical thief Zigloton has received the mission to steal an ancient relic from the planet Zigma-B. Upon arrival he discovers that the planet is filled with traps and dangerous hazards but that the weird and absurd inhabitants don't seem to mind much.

Gameplay
The game is a challenging story-based 2d platformer. The player can use a double jump and interacts with the world in a wide variety of actions to solve puzzles (levers, switches, boxes, ...). The player progresses through the adventure by collecting orbs and completing story related missions. This means that the player can often choose in which order he wishes to tackle the challenges in front of him.

What's next?
I was initially planning to finish this game in a month but this is taking way longer than I expected.
  • I bought myself a Wacom tablet but I'm still in the process of getting used to the material and the softwares. The art(and especially the animations!) are taking me multiple iterations to get right. I struggled a lot on making the different art piece fit together into a coherent style.
  • I want the game to be a very challenging platformer in the veins of super-meat-boy and Celeste. I'm quite used to challenging platformers and designed the game very hard from the very start... Only to realize that most of the people that tested the game couldn't finish it. I spent quite some time on making sure the player was kept in flow by only gradually increasing the challenge and reducing the learning curve.

Almost all the levels are designed and I'm currently focusing on art, animation, polish and beta testing.

My current prevision is to release the game end November.

I will try to post weekly the state of advancement of the game while not revealing too much.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:25:28 AM by Ben Lega » Logged
Ben Lega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 11:35:15 AM »

I've been encountering some readability problem with the main character. Because I made him flat black, he doesn't pop well if drawn over a dark background. This is especially a problem in the first area of the game that is located inside caves...

Can you spot him?

I was kind of puzzled because I didn't want to change the design of the character, and modify all the work already done on him, and I did not want to make the background too light because, well, these are caves.

This is why I settled on a 3rd solution: give the player 2 fireflies to accompagny him through this first level. I found it to be a good way to always keep the player well in sight.

Ben Lega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 02:20:43 PM »

I have been having fun with 2d animations lately. It sure is fun but takes way more time than I anticipated  Screamy

YogX
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 02:34:24 PM »

This reminds me of Snoopy Smiley

Ben Lega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 11:00:46 AM »

The game is hard 2d platformer. In order to allow the player to rest a bit sometimes I decided to switch the gameplay for some areas.

Here, the player discovers a dance class where he has to learn new dance moves, making for a fun little memory puzzle game  Smiley

Next task is to make the 3 little fellows up there also dance to the rythm!

Ben Lega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 08:35:46 AM »

The scorched trees turn Zigloton into a fiery chinese dragon for a small amount of time, allowing him to unlock new path.
I'm quite happy with the colour scheme of this animation  Smiley

Ben Lega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 03:25:43 AM »

Mission Zigloton is finally released !!

You can download it for free on steam using the following link:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1236070/Mission_Zigloton/?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic