Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:47:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Red  (Read 11195 times)
Anna
Red
« on: June 26, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »

Red (working title) is a small Seiklus and Knytt Stories inspired platformer that's loosely based on

and features a main character resembling Little Red Riding Hood. So far all I have is some mockups and artwork, a basic platformer engine in flash, and a bunch of ideas.

I've been trying to pinpoint a graphical style for the game:

Characters (only the red one is playable):

In-game so far:

[As a side note, I posted a few months ago that I was working on a minimalistic co-op platformer (this). That project has now been split into two: this game and a separate two player co-op game, also in flash, that I will resume working on after I'm done with this one.]

More to come soon!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:43:29 PM by Anna » Logged
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:49:01 PM »

Woo! The atmosphere looks so pretty

I'll be looking forward to this
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 05:08:41 PM »

I like the second mockup the most and the one with blocks the least.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 05:42:13 PM »

This looks awesome.
Just the style of art i like.

I am excited to see more progress.

Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 06:41:31 PM »

Oh wow this looks freaking awesome!  Kiss

Love the art style, looks a very promising game. Will def be following this, keep it up!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 08:38:46 PM »

looking forward to this, i like this genre

could you give us more hints as to how it'd play? i.e. do you collect things like in seiklus, do you get power-ups like in knytt stories, do you do something else while exploring instead, etc.?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 06:03:51 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 04:30:56 AM »

I like the looks of this. The art, especially, is very nice.

I just want to say that I prefer the faded pastel color choices to the black and white one.

That's all.
Topher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 07:41:29 AM »

Looks like it could be fun.  Cool spritework.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 10:05:29 AM »

This looks really nice, and thank you very much for the link to Hedgehog in the Fog - if you capture the spirit of that this project can't fail to be wonderful. The other Russian/Soviet animations from that period also on youtube are great too - it's a whole new treasure trove of awesome stuff!

I think I prefer the 2nd of the 3 variations in the first set of shots, and I really really like the other shots showing the pastelly Another World-ish backdrops. Not so keen on the last one with the block patterns in the ground, they seem to clash a bit, but I'm no graphic designer.

Looking forward to updates!  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 10:17:30 AM »

great mockups. they do a great job of communicating all the different environments there

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 11:37:04 AM »

Amazingly stylish! Can't wait to hear more about gameplay.
KyouchouBudgie
Level 0

Throoply indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »

Should be interesting, but we still need more information on the gameplay.
MaloEspada
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 11:28:17 AM »

I love everything about this. Need.to.play.NAO.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 12:51:17 PM »

The one with a giant pot has a giant pot, and must therefor be choosen.

Reminds me a lot of finnish author/artist Tove Janson, who knew how the awsome was made:

On a side note it's from her Niffla has ripped some of his stuff.

I don't see why you have to choose any of them though, since it doesn't look very much like different art styles but rather like different environment drawn in a nice and consistent art style. Just make them different areas in the game!

I'm going to follow this thread, it's beautiful stuff!
HannesP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »

Ah, for once limited palettes and pixel graphics actually add to the stylish value, instead of just being an obvious limitation. I really like your style, especially the cave environment and the one with the large pot.

I hope that you'll use the duality element in the gameplay somehow, and not just follow the usual run-around-and-collect-stuff pattern. Also, I hope that you'll stick with the 1:1 scale shown in the mockups (as opposed to the zoomed variant in the in-game pic.)
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 09:51:21 PM »

Fantastic use of color. Can't wait to play!

dillomatic
Level 0

i'm the worst at what i do best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 10:01:32 PM »

i want to have sex with this

i am great.
Anna
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 11:00:18 PM »

Thanks for all the replies, can't believe this thread is on the second page already! I will talk about what I'm planning for the gameplay soon. Before that I think I want to talk about the themes I've taken from Hedgehog in the Fog and how I intend to convey them.

This looks really nice, and thank you very much for the link to Hedgehog in the Fog - if you capture the spirit of that this project can't fail to be wonderful. The other Russian/Soviet animations from that period also on youtube are great too - it's a whole new treasure trove of awesome stuff!

I originally found out about it from this thread. I also like these two:

and

Reminds me a lot of finnish author/artist Tove Janson, who knew how the awsome was made:

On a side note it's from her Niffla has ripped some of his stuff.

Thanks for introducing me to this, I'll definitely look her up!
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 11:11:09 PM »

I love this! Smiley

twitter: @docky
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 12:00:55 AM »

I originally found out about it from this thread.
Ah, that thread was quite a source of inspiration for me!
Have you seen "The Heron and the Crane" yet? That's another of my favorites from that thread.

This definitely looks worth keeping an eye on. The fact that you've already got an engine up and running gives me all the more reason to be interested.

The game already seems atmospheric even at this early stage. Visually, I'm hoping you'll go with something a bit more like the source material and less like a traditional game. I'm seeing definite indications of you going your own direction in the mockups, but I'm also seeing echoes of Yoshi's Island and Knytt, if I'm not mistaken. You're obviously a very talented artist, so I'd like to give you my vote of confidence and encourage you to really go with a less traditional style here. There are a lot of really neat stylistic touches from "The Hedgehog in the Fog" which might be a good source of ideas.

Thanks for all the replies, can't believe this thread is on the second page already! I will talk about what I'm planning for the gameplay soon. Before that I think I want to talk about the themes I've taken from Hedgehog in the Fog and how I intend to convey them.
Don't worry about being on the second page... turnover is just high around here. I'm sure it's not for lack of interest in your game.

Keep up the good work, this looks ace.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic