Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:55:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKing, Witch and Dragon - the Reversed Metroidvania
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: King, Witch and Dragon - the Reversed Metroidvania  (Read 9695 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 09:18:22 AM »

I do like those animal-themed takes on familiar powers. A good idea, I think. ^_^

As to getting players to use the powers, despite knowing that those powers will be taken away, what I might suggest is constructing the early areas such that they pretty much have to use their powers. That might help to "train" players to use their powers.

Now, that might incur the problem of the player going back to those early areas once they've lost their powers, and thus becoming stuck. In that case, perhaps you might seal off the early areas once the player escapes them.

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 01:42:24 PM »

in the endgame you get dragon-themed versions of the same upgrades.
That one was (and still is) one of the options that I consider for the endgame. This reminds me approach of "Journey" -- you slowly learn how to jump, use your scarf, etc., then in the area with the snow you lose all the abilities and barely can walk, but after that you can fly! This creates great contrast and very empowering feeling. I'd like to achieve similar feeling...

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 01:44:38 PM »

Now, that might incur the problem of the player going back to those early areas once they've lost their powers, and thus becoming stuck.
Player should be able to pass through any area with any set of abilities (even with just one or none of them), but it should be significantly harder than with 2-3-4 abilities.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 09:37:56 AM »

Player should be able to pass through any area with any set of abilities (even with just one or none of them), but it should be significantly harder than with 2-3-4 abilities.

Hmm... Fair enough. I do think that you may have players who decide to just never use their abilities, knowing that they'll just lose them eventually. However, it does occur to me that, since the abilities presumably make traversal easier, other players may yet employ them for the sake of convenience. So it may still work out!

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2019, 04:50:51 PM »

I finally moved from 2D concepts to 3D models.
I made a humanoid character template. I'm going to use this template as a baseline for all the humanoid characters in the game.

Reyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2019, 09:24:41 PM »

The fabled reverse Metroidvania! I made a design similar to yours like 5 years ago; you were a knight that got bitten by a cursed spider and got spider powers (I called it Spiderknight, dont judge me I was a teenager), you had to save the kingdom but also find a cure for your curse, at the end of each level you defeated a boss (usually a creature that got mutated by the evil wizard who also made the cursed spider, mind you this is a ripoff of Crash Bandicoot) and could choose to drink some of the cure and lose an ability or just go on with your quest. So in the easy ending you can go trough the entire game with all your abilities and save the kingdom but the curse kills you at the end, and in the hard ending you lose your powers one at a time, get cured, save the kingdom and live happy ever after. I got the multiple endings idea from Dishonored which had just come out at the time.

I ditched it because I wasnt skilled enough back then and I got bogged down by level design, but I'd say its definitely doable. Its also perfectly ok if players avoid using abilities theyre gonna lose, something similar happens in Dishonored where players avoid using abilities that can put people in danger (like Devouring Swarm), for the sake of a happy ending,
torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2019, 08:14:26 PM »

at the end of each level you defeated a boss (usually a creature that got mutated by the evil wizard who also made the cursed spider, mind you this is a ripoff of Crash Bandicoot) and could choose to drink some of the cure and lose an ability or just go on with your quest

Wow, this is quite similar to what I have in my head, except the fact that player is forced to lose ability after each boss Well, hello there!

And you are absolutely right that level design is one of the main (if not THE MAIN) challenges of this project. But let’s wait for vertical slice. When I finish with main character visuals I have plan to make a 1 complete level and 1 boss fight to test the system that allows player to beat them with any combinations of abilities.

If this vertical slice will be successful and system works, it effectively will be a playable demo for the project  Smiley

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2019, 04:53:38 PM »

Merry Xmas all!  Coffee
Its been a while since last update for obvious reasons (xmas, family stuff, etc.), but here we go again!

I've made a Corrupted Prince model based on humanoid template from previous update.

On a base mesh I modified face and head shape, added some details on shirt and pants and modeled forehands from scratch to add some anatomy and muscles details. Also added new meshes for straps, tabard, scarf and hairs. Polycount doubled but still acceptable.

Next step - unwrapping and texturing.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2020, 08:43:48 AM »

That looks pretty good thus far, I think. ^_^

And a belated "Merry Christmas" to you, too! ^_^

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 04:49:10 PM »

Finally got my character unwrapped, textured and shaded  Cool

The cool thing about it that it has only 1 texture - 8x16 pixels, 384B  Grin

All the details come from not-so-standard unwrap and custom toon shader that make use of vertex normals and vertex colors to create effect of ambient occlusion (more shadows in armpits, cloth folds, around muscles, etc.), add specular reflection and outline of different thickness on different parts. Also, outline is in clip space so it has constant width regardless of distance to the camera.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:18:23 PM by torchinsky » Logged

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 05:10:32 PM »

That's a pretty cool effect, I do think; I like what you've done there. ^_^

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2020, 01:41:43 PM »

Finished model for the weapon of the main character - Talon Blade

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2020, 09:16:07 AM »

That's a pretty cool-looking sword. ^_^

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 02:48:12 PM »

That's a pretty cool-looking sword. ^_^
Thanks! Smiley

Bat wings for double jump ability of the main character:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2020, 09:46:15 AM »

Also looking good thus far, I do think. ^_^

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2020, 07:57:06 AM »

Spider legs model for wall crawling ability:

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2020, 03:23:13 PM »

Tentacle model for the grappling hook ability of the main character:

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2020, 03:30:18 AM »

I'm enjoying the character models. I'm really looking forward to the gameplay gifs!

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2020, 01:55:51 PM »

I'm enjoying the character models. I'm really looking forward to the gameplay gifs!
Thanks! I'm finishing up with the models and then will start rigging and animating to see everything in action Smiley

Meanwhile, I have Snake model for the dash ability:

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2020, 01:05:23 PM »

I wrote detailed blog-post about custom shader that I use for my project.

The main thing that it doesn't use Normal maps nor Specular maps, but specular reflections and shaded areas controlled by vertex colors. There are also some tips and tricks like screen space constant width outline, correct shading of 2-sided material, etc. Hope you will find something useful there.

Source code included Well, hello there!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic