Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:07:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKing, Witch and Dragon - the Reversed Metroidvania
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: King, Witch and Dragon - the Reversed Metroidvania  (Read 9586 times)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2020, 08:18:48 AM »

Wow, this is incredibly solid! You certainly are skilled.

I think the wind blowing is an excellent idea for breaking it up! Looks pretty good.

If you want to go even farther, you could have it as a separate animation and blend it with his other animations, which would allow you to change its intensity based on the current location.
torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2020, 03:46:46 AM »

If you want to go even farther, you could have it as a separate animation and blend it with his other animations, which would allow you to change its intensity based on the current location.

Move wind-related animations to separate additive animation layer is excellent idea! Thanks a lot! Beer!

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2020, 09:25:07 AM »

Working on idle animation.

What do you think?

I really like the movement of the features: it really conveys an impression of wind moving about them. ^_^

That said, the hair looks a little stiff, to me; I think that it might be improved if it were to bend a bit more as it moves.

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2020, 01:23:28 AM »

I really like the movement of the features: it really conveys an impression of wind moving about them. ^_^
That said, the hair looks a little stiff, to me; I think that it might be improved if it were to bend a bit more as it moves.

Thanks for feedback! I'll try to tweak hair skinning to make them more flexible.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2020, 09:10:32 AM »

Thanks for feedback! I'll try to tweak hair skinning to make them more flexible.

It's my pleasure, and excellent then, respectively! ^_^

Minor typo correction to my post above: it was the movement of the feathers that I rather liked, I believe, not the "features". I blame lack of sleep. ^^;;

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2020, 01:13:30 AM »

Run animation

The idea was to make it a bit loose and exaggerated. Kinda zombie-style run to show contrast between Corrupted Prince and normal Prince which is strong and stiff. Also I believe this way it will be more visible and readable when character will be small on the screen.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2020, 09:34:53 AM »

When I first looked at the run-cycle there it did strike me that it seemed a bit over-loose, a bit "floppy". I had thought to critique that--but then I read your mention of it being intended for the "corrupted prince", and to be somewhat zombie-like. Given that, I think that it works quite well! ^_^

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2020, 01:25:45 PM »

Bat wings flap animation.

This animation intended to play once when player activates double jump ability while in the air. In the game it plays twice faster. I had to slow it down because otherwise it looks crappy on GIF.

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2020, 02:31:14 PM »

Snake dash animation

Now I'm gonna try first pass of animations integration into the game.

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2020, 06:48:37 AM »

I spent some time working on run animation on slopes and curvy surfaces.

First step was just adding foot placement. I was using Grounder component from FinalIK plugin. Even though the plugins is very powerful and provides much more options and parameters to customize (compare to Unity native real-time rigging) the result was far from perfect:

The legs were stretching too much, feet didn't look healthy, there was no torso tilting and counterbalancing (there is a parameter for root rotation in Grounder, but result was not satisfying) and the sword was clipping through the ground.

To solve these issues I create 2 more animations: run-slope-up and run-slope-down, then I put all 3 run animation in a Blend-Tree and started mixing them depend on the slope angle.  The result is much better now:

Even if it looks a bit weird on steep slopes I'll keep it like that for now Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2020, 09:30:37 AM »

I think that there's an argument to be made that running up a steep slope is a bit awkward anyway!

I think that your running animations look good, and simply blending between three hand-tuned variations seems like a good solution to the problem, given the sort of game that you're making. ^_^

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2020, 06:22:55 PM »

Integrating additive animations for landing, run start and stop.

Without additive animations:

With additive animations:

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2020, 03:26:45 PM »

Integrated bat wings animation for double jump ability:

essencescape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2020, 08:56:03 AM »

Liking the character design and the gameplay premise might turn out to be interesting. Following to keep updated.

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2020, 01:22:34 PM »

Finally managed to make procedural animation of spider legs that looks good enough

P.S. Character body animation is a placeholder

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2020, 09:14:02 AM »

That spider-leg animation looks really good to me--in particular, I really like the way that the legs move at slow speed, and the way that they adjust to various combinations of slope. Very nicely done, I think! ^_^

BENI.MARU
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2020, 10:57:30 PM »

The animation looks fantastic! 

I really want to play around with the spider form, just to see the limb movement.  Looking forward to seeing your execution of the prince's torso in that form.

Audiomancer
PortfolioTwitter
Projects:
ZealotTwo Strikes
fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2020, 02:16:14 AM »

And you are absolutely right that level design is one of the main (if not THE MAIN) challenges of this project. But let's wait for vertical slice. When I finish with main character visuals I have plan to make a 1 complete level and 1 boss fight to test the system that allows player to beat them with any combinations of abilities.

If this vertical slice will be successful and system works, it effectively will be a playable demo for the project  Smiley

Since it's not yet vertical slice time yet, here's some thoughts on the reverse-metroidvania and losing powers discussion. I hope it's not too late nor too early.

In most games where players impose extra challenges on themselves, the games usually have a rather complicated / deep enough combat/stealth system so that even with the restrictions, the game is still engaging (some would argue even more so because there's a higher skill requirement) and fun to an extent.
So I guess one thing you can do is to make the Knight's Sword more special - it might not deal as much damage or reach less than the talon, but there should be things you can do with it that either imitate or compensate the loss of your other abilities. Like you can't wall-climb, but can use your sword to cling to the wall (Blasphemous style) and do a wall jump. Maybe you can use it to pole-vault some smaller pits, or simply take less damage from spikes after recovering your armor.
There could also be sword techniques that are available from the beginning that does stuff like jumping downward slash on an enemy to let you jump again, and you just have no reason to use them when you have double jump (or only use them to get some hard-to-get places/secret areas).
Another way to do it is to make the Corrupted form more bland in gameplay - there could be some light stealth mechanism in the game but in Corrupted form you always run at full speed and growl/have stench so enemies are almost always alert to you. In prince form you are more elegant, more dexterous, and can do things that the Corrupted cannot do. Maybe humans and wild animals always flee before the corrupted and in prince form you can interact with some npcs and animals and solve certain puzzles (like there could be cattle which you can climb on to get to higher places, but they flee or hide before the corrupted so he just double jumps, or royal pigeons/eagles that you can command to pull some levers or cut ropes etc.).

Anyway just some thoughts. The animation's pretty cool so far. I'd say the idle might be a bit too zombie-like, but maybe the story calls for that.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2020, 02:40:58 PM »

Thaumaturge, BENI.MARU thanks!

fall_ark, thanks for suggestions! I was thinking about something like that. I need to prototype and test different options to finalize the list of features for VS.

Meanwhile I was working on the procedural tentacle that is gonna be used as grappling hook by the main character.

The mesh is generated in real-time, no model from Blender involved Smiley Fully customizable (thickness, twist, offset and more).

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2020, 10:16:38 PM »

All special abilities of the main character are ready! Well, hello there!

Here is some “vertical” test to showcase different ways to navigate a level

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic