Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:24:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKing, Witch and Dragon - the Reversed Metroidvania
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: King, Witch and Dragon - the Reversed Metroidvania  (Read 9697 times)
torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2020, 06:21:16 AM »

Now spider legs can crawl on moving and spinning platforms. Also replaced character's placeholder animation for that state.

Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2020, 06:24:51 AM »

It looks cool... and disturbing  Shocked

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2020, 02:01:13 AM »

It's been a while, but I was a bit busy with other stuff. Now I'm back and full steam ahead!

I was testing all abilities in the playground level and I felt that bat wings double jump is a bit underpowered compared to other abilities. So I added gliding mechanic that allows player to cover bigger distance (bigger than dash and grappling hook allow) and jump over huge chasms.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2020, 12:12:03 PM »

I've been lurking on here since pretty much the beginning of the thread. I really like how it's coming together! Seeing all the animations and abilities working in-game is great.

One small criticism of the bat ability - it looks like the upwards boost of the double jump is instantaneous, but the wing-flap animation lags behind it. The result is that it feels kind of detached - it doesn't look like it's the down thrust of the wings that are actually giving him the upwards boost, because he already got the upwards boost.

This could be fixed by shortening the start-up time of the wing flap animation - you would lose the gradual emergence of the wings from his back but it would feel more tied-into the gameplay.

Alternatively you could delay the upwards boost to match the animation - this is probably not desirable if you want the gameplay to feel very responsive but could work in some cases.

Edit- a third option could be to bring the wings out in advance? If he's in the air, and hasn't used the wings yet, and isn't doing any other ability, then the wings would emerge, ready to be used. Once they have been used and you stop gliding then they would retract back in. This would solve the animation problem because the wings could flap instantly, and it would also be a visual indication that the double jump is available to use. (I'm assuming it can only be used once before touching the ground to 'recharge' it).

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2020, 01:20:02 AM »

Ishi thanks for feedback!
You are right, responsive control is the highest priority right now, so the second option won't work. The third option sounds interesting, I'll give it a try.

Meanwhile a made an animation for slidind down steep slopes when character doesn't have Spider Legs ability:

torchinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2020, 05:01:06 AM »

Added respawn animation and started to work on some FXs

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic