Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:24:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoHump Bunny Evolve! [IDEA]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hump Bunny Evolve! [IDEA]  (Read 4256 times)
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2009, 11:05:07 AM »

This is just something that came to mind after the compo was announced, more of a brain dump that I hope to evolve (hurdur)...

You've all seen games like Purble Place or the Burger mini game in Space Quest IV.  You're given a picture of an item that you have to create from components in an assembly line, sometimes mixing them will give you another component (such as mixing colors).

So the core game mechanic I was thinking of involves having bunnies with different characteristics in the game world (color, antlers, spots, two tails, long/short ears, etc.).  Then the game generates and presents in some way a bunny that you need to create.  It can ask for some features and ignore the rest, exact features, etc.  You get closer to the goal bunny by making two bunnies hump and the baby will inherit some of the features of the parents.  You can remove features by breeding a bunny with another without that feature for 2-3 generations.  I can add a bit more strategy by limiting it to a certain number of humps based on what's in the game world.

That's just the core mechanic, I need to think of ways to further the gameplay beyond that.  Some things to think about would be:

What does the game world look like?

Should environment or objects (huh huh) have an influence?

Should there be some bigger puzzle to solve in the level with the resulting bunnies?

Right now it's just a little bit adult and a little bit educational (in the kid game sense), should I go further in either or both directions?

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 05:44:19 PM »

Oooooh, life management game! Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
tofuforlunch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:19:49 PM »

This is a terrific idea. A genetics puzzler!
lulzapricot
Level 0

om nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 08:42:26 PM »

Sounds cool.  Title instantly made this flash game come to mind though  Droop

Should environment or objects (huh huh) have an influence?
Yes, would give the player more control over the resulting bunnies allowing more skill instead of it being completely(and boringly) random.

Should there be some bigger puzzle to solve in the level with the resulting bunnies?
Always nice to see your hard work put to use, Although I don't know how you would pull this off and still make it all flow nicely, instead of being like two completely different games.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 10:13:01 PM »

Yes, would give the player more control over the resulting bunnies allowing more skill instead of it being completely(and boringly) random.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of, although it wouldn't be completely random since you have bunnies with traits to choose from.

Always nice to see your hard work put to use, Although I don't know how you would pull this off and still make it all flow nicely, instead of being like two completely different games.

This is what I'm struggling with right now with this idea.  I could make it so that you have to feed them the right foods so they can grow and breed, or something to that extent.  But yea, the double game thing is something that needs to be figured out.

We'll see if I get past the idea phase with this.   I'm trying to think of other games but I like opening the discussion and getting feedback on initial ideas.

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:01:43 AM »

I've decided to stay out of this competition so that I can focus on IGF.  If anyone wants to follow through with this particular idea please feel free to do so.   

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic