Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:40:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)How to make a video game 100% from scratch, starting on a Mac
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to make a video game 100% from scratch, starting on a Mac  (Read 1768 times)
tbendixson
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2019, 07:52:37 PM »

I've always wanted to make my own games. I tried several times with off the shelf engines, but I always felt like I wasn't learning the real way to do it.

Not only did I not quite get the proper "game feel" and result that I wanted, I also didn't find it satisfying to more or less wave my hands and trust that the off-the-shelf engine was doing what I wanted it to (and no more than that).

Back at the end of 2014, Casey Muratori started the rather ambitious project of livestreaming himself building a professional quality video game from scratch in C, starting on Windows. I wanted to follow along, but I own a Mac and I'm cheap (I fully appreciate the irony of that statement).

So I present to you, my video series which parallels his. I'm doing pretty much everything he does (and in the same order and "spirit"), but starting on a Mac instead of a P.C.

Eventually, after 25 days of programming, the two series should converge (most of the programming is in a cross-platform C library), and you will be able to simply follow his series. As a matter of fact, that is what I have done, and I have gotten to day 50. I still plan to keep following along as time permits.

Day 003. Allocating a video display back buffer.
Day 004. Animating the back buffer.
Day 005. Using Xcode as a debugger for cross-platform games.
Day 006. Game controller input.
Day 007. Finishing game controller input.
Day 008. Keyboard input.
Day 009. Finishing Keyboard input.
Day 010. Audio setup and playing a square wave to the speakers.
Day 011. Rendering audio from a circular memory buffer.
Day 012. Controlling a variable pitched sine wave with a game pad.
Day 013. Calculating and logging the game's frame rate.
Day 014. Cross-platform api design and video display output.
Day 015. Cross-platform sound output.
Day 016. Cross-platform game controller input.

I also have a Github repo you can use to follow my videos.
Handmade Hero Mac Platform Layer Following my Video Series.

Please use this as forum to discuss what you see in the videos, and I will do my best to respond.

Also be sure to support Handmade Hero and buy a copy of the game so you can follow along.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 04:27:21 PM by tbendixson » Logged
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 06:22:36 PM »

Interesting series. I have no idea how to even make a window in the mac os. I learned the code for basic windows stuff but I never figured it out in the appleverse.

Do you know if Mac has a way of drawing partially transparent windows like I use in my game https://blokaroka.com? I wanted to port it to a mac but I know nothing about how to even make a window appear.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic