Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:40:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoDikes Save the World [Possible Collab]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dikes Save the World [Possible Collab]  (Read 5283 times)
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2009, 02:45:56 PM »

This game would fit under the "educational" category (though the title was meant to be a bit provocative, yes). My idea is to have procedurally generated Earth-like planets with continents and islands with cities on them. The ocean(s) are constantly rising over time (as in global warming) and you have to build some extemely large-scale levees to keep them at bay and protect the planet and in particular, the cities. The more population you lose to flooding, the less material you get over time to build more dikes, and the player just has to keep going until the entire planet is eventually flooded. Old dikes slowly break down, so you can't just build a large circle and expect to be safe against the flooding forever.

So, in particular if we get 3d procedurally generated planets together, the player has to frantically check around to see what territory is flooding, and make split-second decisions about which cities/continents/vast swaths of not-so-densely populated land they're going to save to keep the levee-building coming. We can either have the player always eventually die, and just keep high scores, or task the player with keeping people alive until a spaceship is built in a particular position, and have levels built in.

If anyone would like to collaborate on this idea, let me know here or PM. I am at best a beginner at programming, but I can cover any necessary writing and music (plus the design).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 06:46:50 PM by Melly » Logged

NathanielEdwards.com for gaming journalism and music. SoundCloud page BandCamp page
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 07:57:48 PM »

...3d procedurally generated planets...
Smiley

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 08:18:50 PM »

It would be nice, I doubt that this project will really reach that level. Still, the procedurally-generated maps are fairly important.

NathanielEdwards.com for gaming journalism and music. SoundCloud page BandCamp page
lulzapricot
Level 0

om nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 08:29:01 PM »

..And all the population is composed of dykes frantically having hot sex.  ...Right? Right?!?!
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 08:41:16 PM »

If the market demand is there, then sure!

Biggerfish
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 04:35:33 AM »

Haha, super-clever title going on there!

Unexpected twist and the game sounds promising.
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 06:02:09 AM »

I just thought: We should pull a reverse Metroid for the ending. Since everyone's leaving on spaceships, show a bunch of pixelly chicks that fade into Metroid suits before they leave.

fikee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »

interesting idea...  if you still need a coder i would like to help. 
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 04:12:26 PM »

Sure thing, what programming languages do you work in?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic