Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:59:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHEPTAGON - Perspective-bending Rhythm Action
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: HEPTAGON - Perspective-bending Rhythm Action  (Read 1920 times)
CORE Games
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2019, 01:44:29 PM »

HEPTAGON is a fast-paced and fluid action game, inspired by the legendary masterpiece Super Hexagon.

Aiming to provide a new challenge for experienced veterans of the genre (as well as offering slower-paced options for the more casual gamer), HEPTAGON will undermine your perception of Euclidean space with its hypnotic visuals, and test your twitch reflexes to their limits!

Wishlist the game on Steam

Check out the demo on itch.io

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi.

I'm not really sure what to put in a devlog. We're a very small team (95% of the work is done by me, with a couple of friends pitching in here and there) from the UK. I started working on this game earlier this year, when I was trying to think of a way to make something cool by myself, without needing to spend too much money on art. I came up with this after playing a lot of Super Hexagon and Velocibox.

We're hoping to release it on Steam by the end of the year with 3 playable levels (plus 4 difficulty levels for each level) and a multiplayer mode.

Here's some more GIFs of the game in motion:

Short of actually watching the trailer, GIFs seem to be the best way for us to quickly convey to people what the game is about and how it works. Still screenshots of it just don't look very impressive, so because of that no one ever even clicks the trailer...

Anyway, any feedback would be really appreciated. Hope you enjoyed reading this post!

Thanks  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 12:14:47 PM by CORE Games » Logged

nikkoguy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 03:28:40 PM »

this is incredibly stylish!

I guess the only concern is the immediate visibility of the player arrow? It actually took me a second to spot it and after spotting it any confusion I had about how the game works were alleviated.

but yeah this looks fantastic, can't wait to try it
CORE Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 07:29:13 AM »

this is incredibly stylish!

Thanks very much!

Quote from: nikkoguy
I guess the only concern is the immediate visibility of the player arrow? It actually took me a second to spot it and after spotting it any confusion I had about how the game works were alleviated.

That's good to know, thanks, I'll try and make it bigger and more visible for the purpose of trailers and GIFs in future. No one's had difficulty seeing it when playing the game itself in fullscreen, but I can see that looking at the tiny 1/3rd size GIFs for the first time it would be difficult to spot, now that you mention it.

CORE Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 03:45:53 AM »

We've added a bunch of stuff since last week, but we're not quite ready to push the update onto itch yet since the new stuff still needs to be balanced + polished quite a bit. We'll probably do that later this week, when we'll also run a playtest on here to try and gauge optimal difficulty levels.

Here's what's been added:
-Implemented frame-independent input, making the game feel much more responsive at high speeds.
-Added Steam highscore board to the main branch.
-Added post-processing effects (bloom and lens distortion) and a system for scripting them and the spinning effects already in the game.
-Added 2 new harder difficulty settings
-Began polishing the harder difficulty settings for Level 1
-Adjusted the 'tutorial' section to play differently at each difficulty (see below)

Here's a thought: Does anyone know if the Steam leaderboard will work for users downloading the game off itch.io at the moment, before we have even released it on Steam (if they have Steam running while playing the game)?

That's all for now, we should have another update later this week for people to test.

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 05:22:14 PM »

Wow, this is really juicy. I love the wall-hopping, dimension-shifting, and of course you gotta have your crazy colors. I look forward to scraping the bottom of the leaderboard!

CORE Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 12:30:35 PM »

HEPTAGON will be releasing on Steam and itch.io on July 15th, 2020. Here's the new trailer:

Until release, you can play levels 1, 2, 4 and 6 in the demo on itch. After release, only levels 1 and 2 will be playable in the demo.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic