Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:51:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe God Mountain - 2D Narrative Survival Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The God Mountain - 2D Narrative Survival Game  (Read 711 times)
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2019, 05:44:43 PM »

THE GOD MOUNTAIN

Genre: Narrative / Survival / Board-Game(ish?)
Developed With: Unity + Fungus + Spine

The concept is inspired by elements from some of my favorite games from the last 10-20 years: The Banner Saga, King of Dragon Pass, FTL, Darkest Dungeon, Crusader Kings 2, etc. My last game, Masochisia, was really about the illusion of decisions, but I really want to explore a game that is all about the importance of decisions and how every decision you make impacts your journey in the game.

I'll be developing the game in Unity. I'll also be leveraging the open source visual-scripting tool 'Fungus' to manage a lot of the coding. I'll need a few custom scripts in C# to help with some of the more complex parts of the game, but I'll be attempting to do as much as possible with visual programming to help expedite prototyping. Last but not least, I will use Spine for the animation.

The Pitch: The gods are angry. As a Prophet, you have divined the sacred texts and forseen a great plague coming with the darkness. Now, a spirit whispers the promise of reprieve -- a pilgrimage across a dangerous wilderness of jackals, sandstorms, rival clans, and the ever-looming threat of disease at your backs. Calling those of faith, your people rise. Ever ahead you press, setting forth to find your god and salvation at the God Mountain. A place of glory, or final judgement.

A narrative-heavy, resource management games with meaningful, permanent decisions. The goal of the God Mountain is to lead your people across the wilderness and find shelter in the God Mountain. You must perpetually make decisions on your journey, the usage of food, how you will allocate your warriors and gatherers, how you interact with rival clans, as well as balancing your people’s faith and morale. As a Prophet imbued with power, you may even press your god for blessings, but at what cost?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:27:33 AM by oldblood » Logged

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 05:46:12 PM »

DEVLOG 1. Introduction

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:45:43 AM by oldblood » Logged

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 05:45:13 AM »

DEVLOG 2. Rough Gameplay

Some rudimentary mechanics in the prototype with placeholder assets. All very WIP with getting around a map, events triggering, going into a village, and reviewing resources.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 07:48:08 PM »

DEVLOG 3. Market Menu & Fungus

A slightly deeper dive into Markets and buying/selling. I also take a peek at the Fungus FSM driving the prototype.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 08:16:45 AM »

DEVLOG 4. Randomizing Events in Fungus

In the game, random events will fire on the players journey to the God Mountain. My goal is to have enough random events available where you could play the game 4 or 5x in a row without encountering the same event, and each event, of course, will have different outcomes depending on your decisions.

In this devlog, I showcase my prototype in Unity/Fungus for how I will be able to have a database of hundreds of random events (without limiting event complexity) which I can randomly assign at the start of the game without ever duplicating events, and all within in a single scene.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic