Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 08:29:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoIdea dump thread!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Idea dump thread!  (Read 34780 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2009, 06:45:06 PM »

Have some awesomelicious idea for this unique compo, but no will, drive or skill? Then post it here! Many willing contestants (myself included) are still trying to brainstorm something interesting to create, and your ideas could help!  Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thank you.  Gentleman

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 07:13:38 PM »

Well as stated in another topic, a physics game for the adult compo. Well, hello there!

I also thought of a rhythm game using nursery rhymes.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 07:39:52 PM »

Here's mine, though it has its own thread:

"Dikes Save the World"

This game would fit under the "educational" category (though the title was meant to be a bit provocative, yes). My idea is to have procedurally generated Earth-like planets with continents and islands with cities on them. The ocean(s) are constantly rising over time (as in global warming) and you have to build some extemely large-scale levees to keep them at bay and protect the planet and in particular, the cities. The more population you lose to flooding, the less material you get over time to build more dikes, and the player just has to keep going until the entire planet is eventually flooded. Old dikes slowly break down, so you can't just build a large circle and expect to be safe against the flooding forever.

So, in particular if we get 3d procedurally generated planets together, the player has to frantically check around to see what territory is flooding, and make split-second decisions about which cities/continents/vast swaths of not-so-densely populated land they're going to save to keep the levee-building coming. We can either have the player always eventually die, and just keep high scores, or task the player with keeping people alive until a spaceship is built in a particular position, and have levels built in.

If anyone would like to collaborate on this idea, let me know here or PM. I am at best a beginner at programming, but I can cover any necessary writing and music (plus the design).

NathanielEdwards.com for gaming journalism and music. SoundCloud page BandCamp page
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 09:05:45 PM »

Calvin and Hobbes, as usual, have insight into this competition.

shinymans
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 10:20:34 PM »

I am going to (probably not) make a typing tutor with adult words and situations

alteratively an elite beat agents clone called "elite BEAT agents"
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 02:16:01 AM »

I have been wracking my brains for an idea. The single idea I have had (not even single good idea - just single idea) is a history of flight/basic physics flight principles teaching type game inspired by a book I have on the topic, which goes through all the early flying attempts and shows why they failed. Would probably be a little bit like Test Pilot from the procedural compo.

However, I really really doubt I could pull this off, so I'm just throwing it out there.

(do you think a moral story counts as education? I'm sure I could come up with some fable-type thingymagummy, but it seems a bit not-the-point)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 10:45:40 AM »

Well, if it teaches people something...

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
mirosurabu
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:52:54 AM »

Fucking Mama?

Both educational and adult.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:55:05 AM »

Adult-level ultra-violence idea Bood_War's thread gave me:

You are a surgeon who snaps and goes all jack the ripper during a routine appendectomy or something. Do as much damage to a living human body as possible before hospital security arrives and takes you down.
Scalpels, drills, drains, bone saws, empty syringes, and your teeth.
You'll need to roughly follow surgical procedures if you want to get to the chewy centre through the crunchy shell.
Maybe you want to keep an eye on the equipment if you want to keep them alive through it all. Speaking of eyes, jab that antiarrhythmic anywhere you like.

Creativity is rewarded.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »

Anyone that remembers Sex Games from the C64?
[NSFW]Explicit C64 pr0n
[/NSFW]
This would be an excellent title to {re,de}make and combine with rhythm game mechanics, preferably Barry White or Isaac Hayes style music. Even more preferably with a sleazy commentator á la (Ron Jeremy)^6. Anyone that wants to team up for something like this?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 01:24:09 PM »

Humpstart First Grade?

This would be an excellent title to {re,de}make and combine with rhythm game mechanics, preferably Barry White or Isaac Hayes style music. Even more preferably with a sleazy commentator á la (Ron Jeremy)^6. Anyone that wants to team up for something like this?

I could see this being amazing if the music was in midi format.  I could certainly help with this if you want.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 01:27:21 PM »

You know, Barry White is overused in these types of things.  We need some more T. Rex style Glam Rock!

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 01:44:39 PM »

Humpstart First Grade?

I could see this being amazing if the music was in midi format.  I could certainly help with this if you want.

Sure, MIDI and rhythm and as sleazy as possible, and I'd be more likely to finish if with somebody...  BegHand Money Right

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 05:25:20 PM »

I'm just throwing this out there.  If someone doesn't revolutionize the Dating Sim genre in this compo and make it so that it's actually both fun and interesting, I will be very disappointed.   Mock Anger Hand Shake Right

dillomatic
Level 0

i'm the worst at what i do best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 09:58:29 PM »

i was thinking about a dating sim, and the only endings are you going home and crying while beating off

honestly, if thats not educational, i don't know what is

i am great.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 10:03:28 PM »

i was thinking about a dating sim, and the only endings are you going home and crying while beating off

Didn't terry make a game like that?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
dillomatic
Level 0

i'm the worst at what i do best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 10:06:02 PM »

if someone didn't already i'd be surprised

nerds making fun of nerds isn't exactly a startling new concept

i am great.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 04:27:01 AM »

Didn't terry make a game like that?

He did, and it was awesome.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 08:52:46 AM »

A group of settlers embarks on a thousand year voyage to another world. The only problem? No one remembered to bring writing instruments. You need to carefully balance procreating (to ensure your descendants survive the voyage) and teaching (because knowledge of both culture and survival skills can only be passed on through oral tradition). Will you make it to neo-Earth intact or descend into a mess of ignorance and inbreeding?

Shamelessly inspired by the phrase "Generation Ship" and a sci-fi trilogy I read as a kid whose name escapes me.

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 09:08:06 AM »

Still working out ideas. But I have some leads...

1) Puzzle game, where you have a robot that needs to complete a task. Unfortunately, you can't directly control the robot - you can only give it instructions (in lua or python) and let it go on its merry way! Teaches the basics of computer programming.

2) Shadow a general through the American Revolutionary war, and help them win battles!

3) A point and click crime solving game. The perpetrator has luckily left clues - clues that allude to *history!*

4) An oregon-trail-esque game that trails Lewis and Clarke to the pacific coast and back. Featuring higher stakes and more meaningful choices.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic