Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:34:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoTyping RPG?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Typing RPG?  (Read 6858 times)
Cheesus
Level 0

sup.

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2009, 08:08:47 PM »

Is typing educational? Well, it is now. Smiley

I don't have much thought of yet, but I'm thinking of trying a small scale RPG, as they are pretty rare around these here parts. No groundbreaking story of stunning cinematics; I'm thinking of something simple and Dragon Warrior esque. Gameplay wise, however, I'm thinking of having turn based battles replaced with a series of words on the battle screen that move downwards. Each word would be a different color, perhaps a corresponding element for some weakness exploitation. Anyway, successfully typing said word would result in the hero attacking, giving the fights a less rigid turn based feel. In addition, maybe there could be things like combos, or a bonus for being EDGY and typing a word at the last minute. No grinding, and no tedious clunky RPG-isms, other than the ones that make me feel fuzzy and nostalgic. Wink Obviously, difficulty would entail word rate and what kind of words to type. It's almost like Typing of the Dead in RPG form or something.

I don't have anything to show quite yet, but I'm sort of thinking out loud on the internets here. So uhh, input I guess.  Well, hello there!
Gryphon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 09:50:39 PM »

OMG...I've been planning to do a game like that for at least 2 months now  Shocked
I think you should totally go for it...I'd be willing to help, as well!

Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 08:45:23 PM »

Also, for added challenge, make words that you SHOULDN'T type because it will hinder your progress somehow!

This should be an interesting game!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:51:27 AM »

Still going to have a little picture of the enemy though, not JUST words, right?

Also, an easy way for that 'edgy' thing is to make damage higher the closer it is to the bottom, and instead of combos, use typing speed?
Gryphon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:50:44 AM »

We're still working on it...not enough to show yet, but it's looking good so far...

Still going to have a little picture of the enemy though, not JUST words, right?

Yep, it'll look kinda like Final Fantasy in some way. Text will appear under the enemy, and you'll have to type it correctly to attack that target. But...more info later...  :D

falsion
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 12:05:11 PM »

The leveling system could start you off with the basics then as you get into later levels, you learn more advanced typing skills, which allow you to do better more powerful attacks.

Either that, OR the enemies you encounter could influence what kinds of exercises you do. Enemies from the beginning of the game would be something like the home row while later enemies would be harder and harder techniques. Boss battles would be entire reviews or tests of the section.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 12:06:59 PM »

nice idea cause there arent many typing games in that style.
btw give typomagia a try.
http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2009/02/freeware_game_pick_typomagia_s.html

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic