Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:33:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLabyrinth RPG - Try to survive to the end!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Labyrinth RPG - Try to survive to the end!  (Read 1193 times)
GameMaker Rob
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2019, 10:30:56 AM »

Labyrinth

Hello and thanks for checking the thread out!

About the game:

This is an RPG with a focus on surviving between battles. No resting, no NPC shops, just killing monsters for material which you use to buy and cast spells and upgrade your weapon and armour.

It's fairly short too, with 5 main areas.

We have a selection of different characters to play as (randomly chosen upon a new game start) with the main difference being the starting spell.

How far along is it?

Most of the planned features are in, with the exception of having whatever characters you're not playing being scattered around the five levels giving you bits and pieces of lore, and better dialogue for the boss fights.

I haven't coded what happens IF you beat the last boss yet either!

Things to be improved:

1) At the moment, when you die, you get to see the starting credits every time, which is lame. This is something I want to change.

2) I'm not sure if people will understand what to do / how to play. Some hints are given upon death but will players actually get that far before giving up in frustration?

3) Probably a lot of other things that don't currently spring to mind!

How can I help?

I would really appreciate some feedback in terms of your thoughts on the game. How did you find the difficulty? Was it fun? Etc.

Download Link v1.1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oub4cp6s5irshr8/labyrinth_1.1.zip?dl=0
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 08:44:17 PM by GameMaker Rob » Logged
GameMaker Rob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 08:57:47 PM »

On the back of some feedback (other sources obviously!) I've made some changes (still have a ways to go!);

The changes are as follow:
--------------------------
*Made monster spawn times slower
*Added icons to indicate what buttons to Add / Delete / Change case in Name Creator
*Added icons to indicate what to press to open the menu (until opening it for the first time) or to go back
*Added a "Character Select" menu with a bit of flavour text for each character when starting a new game
*Reduced volume of a few sounds
*Changed "angel sprite" icon in Name Creator - can't believe I left that placeholder in ><
*Added message for gamepad detected/not detected/unplugged (only xbox 360 atm)
*Added analog stick controls (I only ever had d-pad support before this... lol)

The next things I want to add are as follows:
---------------------------------------------
*Some kind of orb which shows monsters trying to attack the player ala 7th Saga style
*Difficulty options and/or options to change how the battles work (mainly Chance to Run / Running costing something but giving 100% chance || Pause when players turn or not || Indicators for Monsters HP / AB Bar)
*Storylines based on the character chosen at the start (so 8 different stories to follow with maybe a few quests as part of that)
*Support for more controllers

I uploaded the latest version to dropbox which you can find here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9bhh9akahrqulm/Labyrinth.zip?dl=0
Kastlo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 05:47:03 AM »

Hi, just today I tried the game as "the thing".
A couple of days ago I also played Artifact Adventure, and maybe because of that I enjoyed the fact that the character selection had some flavour text but did not get deep into stats and what not. I like to think which character would be more similar to a warrior or a mage without the game straight up telling me through text.

I also did like the animations and exploring the dungeon.
I will give it another go later, as for now I think there may be a problem with the menu system: after I bought a spell I couldn't go back or exit the menu, so I was forced to close the game (the game didn't crash but I couldn't do anything).

I did like that turns overlapped over each other, and I do like the little animations during the battle, but I think that the animations should still leave the player with the ability to choose his action (right now when the animation is going on the player cannot use the menu)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 01:30:44 AM by Kastlo » Logged

GameMaker Rob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 12:54:56 PM »

Hi Kastlo and thanks for the feedback.

We've been revamping a lot of things these last few weeks and the menu during battle is on the list for a rework.

We will probably have an option upon starting a new game where you can choose whether or not to allow the player to be able to navigate the menu whenever they like or not. You're not alone in bringing this up.

The way the menu system works in battle is something we hoped would create tension and a need to think/decide quickly but it might be more annoying than tense for some!
Kastlo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 04:06:20 AM »

Yeah I can see it was a design decision. My first Final Fantasy was VIII and it also did something similar. The only thing is that I found myself trying to get the action that I wanted as fast as possible if it was my turn. So if I knew I wanted to attack I just spam clicked the enter button.

Considering that I used just a couple of low spell characters I probably didn't have many other choices, so after all it may have sped up the random encounters (which I did like because I felt like the progression of the pacing was satisfying).

So keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to try the next build

Ivan1791
Level 0

Ivan Garcia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 10:21:27 PM »

The spawn of enemies is ridicously high, once you understand the mechanics of the game there isn't much of a challenge, there isn't a clear option to exit the game and the mechanics aren't explained at all not even indirectly. I could't play it a lot because the game doesn't flow at all.
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 02:13:35 PM »

Hey Rob,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

GameMaker Rob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 08:43:16 PM »

Hello, thanks for the comments, video, and feedback everyone. I was waiting to update the thread until the story elements were in place but to save anyone else from the fast spawns I decided to upload the latest version.

This update includes:

- GUI Improvements (Controller Detected / Undetected, Monster HP/AB Bars, Button Icons for Name Creator / Menu)
- "Monster Orb" you can see monsters running around in an orb so you can try to avoid them or engage them
  More sound effects
- Character selection screen (choose a character rather than randomly spawn with one)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic