Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 12:50:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Favorite Distribution Path
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Favorite Distribution Path  (Read 1421 times)
pcpete
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2019, 04:20:42 AM »

Hi All,
I'm looking to get back into game making, the world has changed quite a bit since Flash 5...
I wanted to get a pulse on what everyone's favorite method of game distribution is?

Do you guys find it better to distribute via big webstores, or self publish on your own site?

I'm mainly interested in 2d, not mobile, and avoiding Unity & Unreal. No language preferred at this point since I'm getting in on the ground floor, and have dabbled with most. Steam store seems like a good potential target, any headaches with that?   
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:50:22 AM »

The world has changed, so Unity and Unreal, you should try them  Smiley

The problem fro a developer with Steam is the saturation of the market, expecially when you are a small studio, if you do not have anyone supporting you, like ads, a big publisher etc., it is difficult to get notice on the Steam store.

Games:

pcpete
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 08:40:44 PM »

Thanks Ordnas, Yea I'm thinking there's no easy way around them. At least not without a lot of work they've done to make development easy.

Would you say Steam is the most common way to share/sell games. I was thinking of sharing on my own website.
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 12:41:48 AM »

I've not published anything, but the two platforms i see discussed the most are steam and itch. They are very different, so there's no settling which is better. Steam has a vastly greater audience, but takes a large cut of revenue and has a fairly involved submission process, and there's quite a lot of competitions for that audience. It's therefore for fair profressional games that are going to spend quite a bit of time on marketing. Itch is for the rest.

This might be selection bias, but sharing exclusively from a self hosted website seems to be an auteur thing.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 02:41:36 AM »

Yes, Steam is the most common store to sell your game, I would also add Epic Store and GoG.

Games:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic