Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:46:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies you (really) need to see
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Movies you (really) need to see  (Read 20375 times)
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2009, 05:52:32 PM »

Robocop
it_is_coming
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2009, 07:32:18 PM »

some of these break rules and/or have already been posted. just letting you know.

Pi -  psychological thriller + number theory = movie that will stick with you
Run Lola Run - entertaining with philosophical ideals if you want them to be there
The Triplets of Bellville -  odd animated film, not disney/pixar, kinda weird dark satirical humor
The Fountain - beautifully written, directed and executed. The actors give their greatest performances of their careers. i will personally rape anyone who bitches that it was made in 06.

jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2009, 10:19:04 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286751/ , Kairo, a flawed but slow paced horror that creeped under my skin.

Yes indeed! Kiyoshi Kurosawa is one of the most exciting movie guys currently around if you ask me.

Also:

Café Lumière (Kôhî Jikô) (imdb) by Hsiao-hsien Hou is quite amazing. Shot in 2003, it's kind of an homage to Yasujiro Ozu who was then born 100 years ago. You can tell it's an homage to him just by the exposition shot - a low, steady camera showing you an everyday street section which is then crossed by a train going through.
Hou put in enough of his own genius to make this an outstanding film rather than a scholar's personality-free tribute. Told via many scenes and situations rather than a traditionally told plot, we get to follow a young Japanese woman through her daily life. Definitely watch this if you like calmness, quietness and Ozu.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 10:27:30 PM by jstckr » Logged

Nava
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2009, 10:55:28 PM »

Off the top of my head (I don't know if any of these have/have not been said yet).....

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore - Martin Scorsese
3-Iron - Ki Duk Kim
Nobody Knows (Dare mo shiranai) - Hirokazu Koreeda
The Princess and the Warrior - Tom Tykwer
Casshern (purely for visual reasons) - Kazuaki Kiriya
Primer - Shane Carruth
In the Mood for Love - Kar Wai Wong
2046 - Kar Wai Wong
The Beat that My Heart Skipped - Jaques Audiard
The Fall - Tarsem Singh
Cleo from 5 to 7 - Agnes Varda
Last Year at Marienbad - Alain Resnais
The Kid - Charlie Chaplin
Le Voyage dans la Lune - Georges Méliès
After the Wedding - Susanne Bier
Paper Moon -  Peter Bogdanovich
Grave of the Fireflies - Isao Takahata
Taxi Driver - Martin Scorsese
It Happened One Night - Frank Capra
Me and You and Everyone We Know - Miranda July
Let the Right One In - Tomas Alfredson
Vidocq (purely for visuals, again) - Pitof
Wings of Desire - Wim Wenders
Last Night - Don McKellar (courtesy of Alec)
Offside - Jafar Panahi (for women especially)
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Julian Schnabel
Synecdoche, New York - Charlie Kaufman

Edit: Any Akira Kurosawa movie. PERIOD.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:09:19 PM by Nava » Logged
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2009, 11:02:29 PM »

))<>((
Synecdoche, New York - Charlie Kaufman
Just saw this the other night. great movie. i'm tempted to start a thread about it in General...  Who, Me?

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2009, 10:57:53 AM »

))<>((

forever.

|
poorwill
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2009, 07:45:43 PM »

Pink Flamingoes - Probably John Waters' finest movie and one of my faves
Robocop (even though I was explicitly forbidden from posting this by the OP and somebody else already listed it).  It is a work of misunderstood genius.  Best action/comedy of all time.  And better than Brazil.
Godzilla vs Mothra - I love this movie
My Neighbor Totoro - Probably my fave Miyazaki movie
The Valley of Gwangi - Cowboys roping an Allosaurus

Off the top of my head.

Movies I have cued up to see:

Fulci's Conquest (very NSFW):

Viy:

Based on the short story by Gogol.  The boss in La Mulana was named after this!

Also, I dispute that film is a sister medium of games.  No more than any other medium, really.  There is much more difference between genres of games than there is between film/poetry/novels/comic books ... which are all typically seen as being discrete mediums.  Games are pretty much alone in space.  Though it is crowded there!  Otoh, cinema is indisputably the sister medium of cinematic games.  So there's that.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 07:55:22 PM by poorwill » Logged
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2009, 12:49:21 AM »

You all should see The Muppet Movie.

Alehkhs
TIGSource Editor
Level 0

...why not?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2009, 01:47:58 AM »

pretty sure this is a hollywood movie (i've no clue how to tell otherwise)

Wow... I'm glad to see this is on here. But make no mistake, this movie is not dictated by Hollywood:

As his first full film, Tarsem wanted to have full say over it. To this end, he financed the movie by himself. The Fall is based an old Bulgarian screenplay, and it is meant to be a tribute to the earliest days of film.

Tarsem's day-job as a director of primarily commercials allowed him to shoot the film entirely on location in some of the most beautiful vistas, as his work required him to travel to the 20 countries and locations seen in the film. After shooting his current job in a certain area, Tarsem would fly in the cast, and film a scene in that location.

By this process, it took him four years to get the footage he wanted. During this time, he paid all of his actors equally, believing that no one 'actor' deserves significantly more than another. Many of the scenes involving the young girl Alexandria were improved, and shot in sequential order, in order to truly depict the evolution of her relationship with Roy, as well as showing her progress learning English (actress Catinca Untaru spoke none before the film, and was taught only primary words before shooting).

Speaking of Roy, his scenes in the hospital were shot first, and it was kept secret that actor Lee Pace was not actually a paraplegic. Only Tarsem, Pace, and a 'Nurse' that wheeled him around knew the truth. Again, this was done to capture more sincere reactions to his condition.

I fully recommend this film to anyone looking for a beautiful movie, both visually and narratively.
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2009, 08:41:55 AM »

Wow... I'm glad to see this is on here. But make no mistake, this movie is not dictated by Hollywood:

I fully recommend this film to anyone looking for a beautiful movie, both visually and narratively.
I thought that while it was touching during parts, sometimes very pretty to look at, it felt rather shallow and simple. Didn't leave much of a lasting impression on me.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2009, 11:13:28 PM »

Violating the age restriction, I think Roman de Gare is a movie that's really worth seeing. Features a fantastic performance from Dominique Pinon, who played the inventor and his clones in City of Lost Children. IMO the ending of Roman de Gare was a bit of a letdown but only because it didn't live up to the excellent first half.

ChevyRay
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2009, 03:56:32 AM »

I thought that while it was touching during parts, sometimes very pretty to look at, it felt rather shallow and simple. Didn't leave much of a lasting impression on me.
No film has (or will) ever do this to me Shrug they all feel simple shallow, and easily forgettable when I really think about it.
poorwill
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2009, 04:02:06 AM »

You should watch Robocop.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2009, 07:36:10 PM »

Has Swimming With Sharks been mentioned yet? Great movie, rings true enough to depress you.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Seth
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »

No film has (or will) ever do this to me Shrug they all feel simple shallow, and easily forgettable when I really think about it.

you should writing a movie sometime, to see how complicated even mediocre movies are.  I think that trying to create a piece of work in a medium often helps you appreciate that medium, just by considering it from the role of a creator.  Which is also my theory as to why so many people can appreciate visual art even if not that many people and appreciate poems or movies or short stories--most people have tried to draw in the past but not many have tried to write more than the occasional school assignment.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2009, 11:00:14 PM »

Really? Movies are the only medium that have moved me to genuine tears or have made me laugh uncontrollably.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2009, 05:34:25 AM »

Little Monsters

Fred. Fucking. Savage.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2009, 08:09:51 AM »

Has Swimming With Sharks been mentioned yet? Great movie, rings true enough to depress you.

Swimming with sharks was outright great, I had orgotten about it. Damn Buddy. SPOILER

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2009, 10:35:45 AM »

The solution would be to find another name to call those movies that don't belong to the mainstream  and the hollywoodian vulgar.
what should we call theses pieces of art? it's obvious they have nothing to do in the same category as, something that can be enjoyed by the mundane people. I suggest we engage in a ocnstructive debate in order to find a new name.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2009, 01:05:37 AM »

@ChevyRay

while i know it's different for everyone two films that choke me up are Ratatouille and Rudy. Might work for you. just a thought.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic