Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:45:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMovies you (really) need to see
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Movies you (really) need to see  (Read 20586 times)
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2009, 10:48:38 PM »

I'm sorry to ask that but how am I supposed to know if a movie was made in hollywood or not?
ChevyRay
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2009, 10:52:16 PM »

The Machinist (fuck rule 1, rule 1 sucks)
This.

Also, I think that the "after 2000" rule should except 2006. There were some amazing 2006 films, such as Wristcutters: A Love Story, Den brysomme mannen (The Bothersome Man), and Tideland that everybody really fucking needs to see.

But, within the rules, I'll say

I'm sorry to ask that but how am I supposed to know if a movie was made in hollywood or not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_the_United_States
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2009, 10:56:20 PM »

Also I have to say that Fahrenheit is a fucking horrible movie. It changes EVERYTHING compared to the book, and every single change is for the worse.

Yes.  The book should be on the list of books that you really need to read, but the movie, not so much.  They're working on filming a remake directed by Frank Darabont, so hopefully it does better than the last one.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2009, 12:01:22 AM »

The Thief and the Cobbler was quite beautiful. It's a shame it went through production hell for so long and ended up being seen as a horribly hatched version of its former self in the end (until the Recobbled Cut). The original director himself said he didn't want anything to do with even that version anymore. I can imagine him becoming quite embitered by having the biggest work of his life hacked apart. I know I would be.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2009, 02:50:22 AM »

Africa Addio
Come and See

I will walk like a crazy horse
La Haine
Pi
Primer
Noroi
Monday
Riget 1 & 2
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2009, 02:53:28 AM »

Also I have to say that Fahrenheit is a fucking horrible movie. It changes EVERYTHING compared to the book, and every single change is for the worse.

Yes.  The book should be on the list of books that you really need to read, but the movie, not so much.  They're working on filming a remake directed by Frank Darabont, so hopefully it does better than the last one.
Oh, didnt know that. Hope its indeed better!

The book is truly fantastic, at any rate.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2009, 05:27:26 AM »

I watched this a couple of days ago. Epileptic
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2009, 08:16:02 AM »

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara

A documentary, it's an interview with Robert McNamara. It's great, and this is the right moment to watch it.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2009, 11:15:31 AM »

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara

A documentary, it's an interview with Robert McNamara. It's great, and this is the right moment to watch it.

It's a great movie. All of Errol Morris' other stuff is also highly recommended:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001554/

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2009, 11:39:54 AM »

Weird arbitrary rule there. What's wrong with movies made in this century? Might as well have a rule that you can't include any movies which show a bottle of milk on screen for more than 5 seconds. Makes about as much sense to me.

olücæbelel
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2009, 11:59:37 AM »

Sure, Hollywood does release a good movie here and there, but it mostly spews shit. If you draw a baseline, the overall quality of movies is down under. I only watch a Hollywood movie if I get recommendations for it.

This thread is so, so very indie.

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2009, 12:09:09 PM »

You see what happens when superjoe's gone?
Checks and balances are all fucked up.
Take inspiration from Eraserhead to make good games? Really?
Shun everything popular and from this century to get out of the circlejerk of exclusivity? Really-really?

It's time to kick some ass. I'm wearing my steel toes. Neither gawd nor man can stop me now.

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2009, 12:11:38 PM »

Hey guys. Ever see supersize me? Guy wants to see what'll happen when he eats nothing but mcdonalds for 30 days. Doctors think he's just gonna get fat and his cholesterol will go up. But in the end, he's fat, impotent, and his liver is shutting down. Good flick it's pretty funny. Make a game out of it

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2009, 12:36:41 PM »

Shun everything popular and from this century to get out of the circlejerk of exclusivity? Really-really?

I posted Eraserhead because Lynch has claimed it as his most personal movie and I think that the lonely, claustrophobic world Henry inhabits is lovely. There's a great sense of expansiveness in it that comes from the various objects Lynch seems to be so fascinated with (i.e., the radiator, the lamps, etc.). I don't see it as impenetrable or weird for weird's sake; he made the movie because he wanted to make the movie, and he spent years and lots of his own money to make it. It was released to virtually no audience, and enjoys its success / notoriety because it is an insular, self-contained universe with many elements of his later, more popular films.

I think that game designers should watch Eraserhead. The way Lynch introduces his images seems to be disjointed and incoherent, but as the movie unfolds and the characters interact, their visions and routines slot into place. As a viewer, we confront startling events with the characters, and learn the rules to circumvent or confront them. Henry seems to feel his way through his own world, acting cautiously as he builds understanding.

|
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2009, 12:44:17 PM »

Smithjoe...
mind=asplode

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »

I posted Eraserhead because Lynch has claimed it as his most personal movie and I think that the lonely, claustrophobic world Henry inhabits is lovely. There's a great sense of expansiveness in it that comes from the various objects Lynch seems to be so fascinated with (i.e., the radiator, the lamps, etc.). I don't see it as impenetrable or weird for weird's sake; he made the movie because he wanted to make the movie, and he spent years and lots of his own money to make it. It was released to virtually no audience, and enjoys its success / notoriety because it is an insular, self-contained universe with many elements of his later, more popular films.

I think that game designers should watch Eraserhead. The way Lynch introduces his images seems to be disjointed and incoherent, but as the movie unfolds and the characters interact, their visions and routines slot into place. As a viewer, we confront startling events with the characters, and learn the rules to circumvent or confront them. Henry seems to feel his way through his own world, acting cautiously as he builds understanding.
Holy cats!

You seem to have a lot to say about this! You're even defending your post from obvious attacks that I didn't even make!

Guess what: The movie really is weird for the sake of weird.

It's been decades since the movie was released. Thousands of people just like you have dissected and tried to interpret Eraserhead. Your opinions of the great Lynch and what he was trying to say are wrong. And that's not me being rude--it's straight from the horses mouth.

He holds firm the statement, to this day, that None of the people who've watched and tried to interpret and find meaning in eraserhead have found it. He says you're all wrong and that nobody gets him, he has no friends, and blah blah blah whine whine whine whiney whine whine.

That's your idol, right there.

Now make it into a fucking game, or take your weird officially incorrect inspiration from it and use it to make a game, and stop arguing with the internet.

The rest of you, keep being indie, working and thinking for yourself by following some guy's rules about what movies you should watch or talk about and take game-related-inspiration from.

jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »

Despite the thread-starting post, this thread was and hopefully is about sharing good movies that aren't quite popular. You attack the nightly ramblings of a drunken Ivan. Don't be so uptight.

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2009, 01:08:21 PM »

Ah, fuck it.
Fine.

I'll make a list of movies.
If anyone gets their panties in a twist because they're from hollywood or this century, I will slit their throat.

There Will Be Blood.
Pan's Labyrinth.
Thank you for Smoking.

There you haveit.

Apologies for the rant, moonmagic.
And welcome to Tigsource!

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2009, 01:09:26 PM »

Yes, I was indeed quite intoxicated, but I added that rule to encourage more obscure movie suggestions. I never said that hollywood movies or movies made in this century are bad, I was just assuming that most people would be more familiar with them.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Cerogravian
Level 2

Working As Designed

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2009, 01:33:13 PM »

Weird arbitrary rule there. What's wrong with movies made in this century? Might as well have a rule that you can't include any movies which show a bottle of milk on screen for more than 5 seconds. Makes about as much sense to me.

Who cares about making sense - He wanted to make/share a list according to his thoughts and parameters, really no point at all nagging about the rules or somesuch.
Just break the rules in a subtle manner if you feel you have to.

Well then!
Lots of nice suggestions here, you've beaten me to alot of goodies, but I'll try to contribute nonetheless! ...or rather, I'll try not to throw in too many titles at the same time here Droop

Dellamorte Dellamore
Just wonderful, not that obscure to some, but a must-see
Dead or Alive
...1, 2 and Final. ...and basically anything made by Miike Takashi
Le Dernier Combat
Just a neat little dive into the moviemaking, probably better if you know all the stuff from the making of it, but still interesting.
Electric Dragon 80.000V
One of my absolute favourites that has everything - Hero, Villain, Electricity, Lizards, Manliness, Rock and Rawr.
Duel to the Death
A remarkable piece. If you've ever enjoyed an old kung fu-movie or something from an old feudal japanese setting, you'll love this.
Unlucky Monkey
Postman Blues
Monday
All by the same brilliant guy, couldn't choose just one...

...And here come some rulebreakers, but I couldn't leave them out.
Last Life in the Universe
Magnificent movie, with Tadanobu Asano, a great actor appearing in Taste of Tea and Electric Dragon 80kV as well.
Bubba Ho-Tep
Most have probably heard of this, but just to be sure.
Call of Cthulhu
Best version I've seen so far!
Fear and Trembling

...That must be it for now, now watch them all! Evil
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic