Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:47:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNullstar.io - free massively multiplayer asteroid-mining browser game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Nullstar.io - free massively multiplayer asteroid-mining browser game  (Read 1562 times)
LeifTerry
Level 0

Interested.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2019, 04:50:44 PM »

Hi all,

My latest game, Nullstar.io is in open Beta. Runs on desktop/laptop browsers. Mobile versions are in the works.

It has Asteroids style gameplay in a large Slither.io style world.

Free to play with no registration or download. Supports up to 80 simultaneous players.

Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

You can join our Discord to interact with the team and other players.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 05:20:11 PM »

Gave it a spin, didn't do too much for me. I noticed the ships had a bit of white border artifacts and the combat wasn't too compelling. The net code and tech stuff was very well done, but it needs another pass at combat design and art imo. Keep it up!

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 04:03:14 AM »

works well. I made it to 999999 and then the game lost appeal. It would be great to have a win condition. I tried destroying earth but it looks like that is not possible. the larger asteroids also regenerate, so maybe it would be possible with multiple players? the jumping is good, but it makes it near impossible to kill anyone. maxed out I went around chasing everyone and jumping madly. most kills were flukes and the best strategy when big seems to only move directly into target and shoot, as it seems bullets dont cancel out at close range.

win condition could also just be a reset of the player, adding some kind of point/medal for every cycle completed without getting killed. a kill counter would also be nice.

reversing would also be cool, as currently the movement is very limited and not really interesting. attack from the side, jump when they engage. attack the wounded. fire only when close by as most people seem to play pacifist. I did notice people getting weary of me and jumping a lot quicker.

I continued playing far longer than intended, but it was getting old/boring and I was kind of hoping they would all gang up on me and kill me. This could also be a win condition: player is maxed out and then everyone else becomes allies with no friendly fire. goal is to destroy the earth for the big player. when the big player dies or earth gets destroyed, everything goes back to normal. In every case the big player is reset.

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »

Hey Terry,

I played your game.

Nodragem
Level 0

Trying to make fun games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 02:25:25 AM »

So I am not a big fan of .io games but I gave a try to yours and there are many good points about:

• I don't die all the time: I like the idea that we can collide with others without much damage and that you need to shoot at people to eliminate them.
  • I like the idea that there are environment hazards (asteroids, planets, etc): the game is not just about killing each others, it is about surviving in a non-friendly environment
  • the hyperspace action is nice to get out of bad situation

Now there are some things that can be improved:
  • even though our spaceship is blinking on the map, it is still hard to find it
  • planets should be killing you at once when you are small; it is not stressful enough right now
  • but at the same time, to become big should put you at risk of higher environmental hazard
  • maybe we need more diverse environment hazards?

• it is difficult to kill each other; we might need more weapons/bonuses on the map
  • The hyperspace would deserve an animation to be more fun to use
  • The ship sprite has a white contour that should not be there... any idea why?
  • to be the biggest in the room (and get the highest score) is the end goals of .io games, I don't find that fun personally :D maybe there could be another, more story-driven goal? something to unlock?
  • Maybe there could be things that you cannot see/comprehend when you are too small (à la Lovecraft)
  • Maybe the Earth planet at the centre of the map could be part of the story

LeifTerry
Level 0

Interested.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 06:55:08 AM »

Thank you all for the feedback!

I will definitely be making some changes based on your suggestions.
marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 03:07:28 PM »

quite a few things are wrong with this image  Shrug

LeifTerry
Level 0

Interested.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 12:10:00 PM »

@marcgfx Thanks for playing - I think you've set a new record!

I've fixed the leaderboard so it can display 6 digits now.

What else is wrong with the image?
Liber0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 12:18:31 PM »

Gave it a spin.
I enjoyed the competitive aspect of it.

Two things:
1. I would make the player highlighted on the radar in a more prominent way. It was hard to figure out where I am.
2. Couldn't really understand why some ships are bigger. Seemed like they could easily overpower me so maybe makes sense to think about balancing a bit.

From a visual perspective - maybe try to create something that feels very unique? I think it'll better attract early players.
George Hennen
Level 0

yeet

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 12:10:13 PM »

doesnt load
OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 10:58:11 AM »

Worked well without any issues. It has potential! A few observations after a short test:

1. The player should be highlighted much more clearly in the radar.
2. I think zooming out a little would make the game more interesting.
3. It needs more environmental obstacles. I saw a few asteroids, but mostly I was flying in empty space with occasional contact with others. would be interesting to have much more obstacles.

LeifTerry
Level 0

Interested.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 05:00:07 PM »

Thank you to all who played my game!

You all gave me some excellent feedback.

I've decided to go ahead and release the web version. If it's popular enough, I'll go ahead and release the mobile ports as well.

It's online at https:.//nullstar.io and at https://leifterry.itch.io/nullstario

And keep up the good work! We need games right now.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 07:32:48 AM »

Clicked the link, joined a game, ship is vibrating around down-left direction and quickly pushing to the left, where it hit a circle-like boundary within 5s and got stuck.

Windows 10, Opera (based on Chromium), coffein-free coffee to the left of the keyboard.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
OctoMini
Level 0

Talk does not cook rice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 11:50:26 PM »

I gave it a few more tries. I played for a couple of hours and become the largest vessel in the game. At first it was about getting bigger, then it was about destroying the moon, and in the end it was about helping others.

- It needs more reasons to play further
- Personally I am not sure that growing larger is the best way to go. When you grow the zoom level is adjusted and you only grow in relation to others. This has the effect of slowing down the game play. I think it is typical for these kind of games. Instead of growing in size, I would like to grow in terms of upgrades.
- However, I did came back and played a couple of hours so think I was kind of hooked anyway;)

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 03:20:40 PM »

Sorry for not replying for so long. Main issue I could see, was that I started just killing off anyone who was getting a bit bigger. With 10 times the score, much more health and fire power no one stood a chance. I had nothing to lose and just started jumping like a mad man killing anyone who was unlucky to be near by.

So what I meant with "a few things wrong with this image" was:
- wrong score
- everyone else has so much less score, that it's not even funny anymore

If someone gets this big, maybe everyone should be tasked with attacking that player while the universe shrinks... very creative, I know.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic