Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:34:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignCurrent screen resolutions. What are your minimum size to develop for?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Current screen resolutions. What are your minimum size to develop for?  (Read 1764 times)
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2019, 02:45:42 AM »

Hi,
I'm currently making a 2D pixelart game for PC's (https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=68867.0) and uses a full screen, no matter what the resolution the player has chosen. But now I'm implementing dialogue windows, to be used when solving puzzles and I need a certain amount of height in order to have room for all the elements, so I took a glance at Steam's hardware survey https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam and can see that most users use 1920x1080 as primary resolution with 1366x768 coming in as a second.

(I can't make my dialogue windows resize to a smaller size, as I wont have room for all needed elements, so that is not an option) - All other screen elements scale their positions according to the screen size, so no problems there.

So to reach most players, I need the players resolution to be a minimum of 1366x768 (I actually went for 1280x768 to be safe), but what do you aim for?

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 07:15:20 AM »

My approach to this in my current game is to choose a single base canvas resolution, render at that size, then scale the whole canvas to whatever the current screen resolution is. The canvas size I chose is 640x360, which scales to 1280x720 at exactly 2x and 1920x1080 at exactly 3x. I've also implemented an area scale filter so that it can arbitrarily scale to anything in between without losing much sharpness.

I've done the thing before where I try to adaptively scale everything to render directly at any size or aspect ratio, and there were just too many problems and edge cases for it to seem reasonable. Only ever having to worry about one target size saves me a lot of headaches.

PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 08:28:20 AM »

So your playable minimum is 1280x720, that makes sense. I don't want to scale my game, I can easily render at a higher resolution, so thats not my worry. It was more what minimum I should aim for.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 05:37:45 PM »

For my current project I take a 1920x1080 screen resolution and make it as big as possible through scaling on whatever monitor is running it. There are bars if it cannot fill the space. But I'm actually doing a web based game instead of something you download so it might be different for you.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic