Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:04:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHIRO'S ESCAPE: Devolver, Big Indie Pitch 1st place!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: HIRO'S ESCAPE: Devolver, Big Indie Pitch 1st place!  (Read 6357 times)
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2020, 05:23:20 PM »

Ya that was a wild ride of positive energy!

Suttebun
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2020, 07:25:34 PM »

Very fun~ There was a lot to the cutscene voicing WTF rolling is neat, enemies hitting one another -
I'm currently at the part with the stick.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:49:10 AM by Suttebun » Logged
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2020, 04:58:44 AM »

Ya I'm pushing a patch later today that changes up level 3, lots of people are getting stuck there!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2020, 01:58:45 PM »

DEVLOG: Solving the problem of Jungle_3...

Lots of players have mentioned that they have been getting stuck at the end of Jungle_3. In this level the player learns how to use the bamboo to knock out enemies for a few moments before they wake up:

Bamboo is a one-time use item that players can pick up off the ground. In future levels (not in the demo) they are found all over, even in hard-to-see/hard-to-get places. But in the demo, they are all placed pretty much right next to the enemy you're supposed to use it on.

The other lesson the player learns from that swing is that hitting enemies makes a soundwave that will alert other sworders (sworders: enemies that have swords, as opposed to archers  Wink) that are touched by the soundwave. Later in the level, the player learns that when arrows hit boxes they make a soundwave as well:

Soundwaves from arrows hitting boxes

and... sleeping enemies wake up from the direction you hit them:

Enemies wake up from the direction you hit them

Despite that, the final puzzle in the level kept stumping a bunch of people. The idea is to combine what you know about turning archers and drawing enemies out of position with soundwaves. Here's what the final puzzle looks like:

Jungle_3 final puzzle set-up

If you try to get the bamboo in the middle, you can either 1) die from the archer noticing you and shooting at you (what I hope happens because it immediately teaches you that this is not the right answer) or 2) hide in the bush immediately: this is not good either but by hiding the arrows that are shot at you will hit the wood boxes and reinforce the lesson that enemies will come check out sounds when they hear them. The solution is to go to the bamboo on the right, turn the archer, then safely get the other one and draw the sworder at the exit to come check out the soundwave created when you hit the enemy on the left. When the enemy hears the sound you have a second to jump into the bush and they will walk right past you. Voila!. However... it seems like most people were getting stuck right here. I anticipate it was probably the idea of drawing enemies with the sound of the bamboo strike. There is a spot earlier in the level where you use the arrow+box sound to draw an enemy, and players probably thought that they should draw the top enemy that way. It did draw them out of position after all. But I think the problem was that I only showed players the bamboo-based soundwave at the very beginning and it's easy to miss.

My solution

My solution then is to remind the player that you can also draw enemies out of position with the bamboo. I added the little reminder in the above GIF to reinforce this, and I hope it helps people understand the final puzzle and make it a little less challenging. Also, there was no checkpoint on this level and so people kept having to go the whole way through the stuff they knew to get to it. That's part of the reason I know people gave up too.

- Austin
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 02:06:09 PM by NinthPower » Logged

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2020, 02:11:24 PM »

Couple days later update: I think this worked because no one is complaining about being stuck anymore. It could be that they are just finding a cheesy way to do it (lol), but I think it's making more sense.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2020, 02:48:10 PM »

Hey gang, quick update - it's been a minute... I'm currently working on two things that have a big effect going forward: wider resolution and actual real enemy pathfinding.

Wider resolution: the aspect ratio limitations were always a hold over from the GBJAM rules. If I was really trying to recreate the gameboy feel 1:1 (or actually making a ROM), then the 160 x 144 aspect ratio makes sense. But in 2020 and a game I plan to be on as many platforms as I can, it doesn't make sense. So the ratio is set to 256 x 144 (a multiple that scales to 1920x1080 displays, etc.). You would think that's just a quick thing, but changing resolutions after all the puzzles and UI have been made with the Gameboy ratio in mind sends waves throughout the entire game. Luckily I have it all figured out as far is code so it's just an issue of putting in the hours to adjust what's in the game so far for the wider view.

actual real enemy pathfinding: as you know, the enemy pathfinding when they are chasing you is a super simple method where they head toward your position without regard to walls. That's why they get stuck on stuff! I've designed the puzzles in such a way and playtested enough to make it so that shouldn't be a real issue (I've only heard reports of it actually helping Smiley), but it's time to make it better. It should be relatively straight-forward since the enemies already use real pathfinding after they head back to their patrol spot so I'm crossing my fingers this is an easy fix.

So that's what's up! Here's some art stuff I've been working on:

This is just a mockup for some promotional materials. Gets the feeling across though!

mockup for fish boss

mockup for an opening scene

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2020, 03:18:28 AM »

I see that all of your mockups are still in the old ratio though Wink
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2020, 11:29:01 AM »

I see that all of your mockups are still in the old ratio though Wink

It's true! I just started on the resolution stuff Smiley

Suttebun
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2020, 11:32:00 AM »

fack dat, just make it in one resolution. You're not a 4k 16:9 game. ꒡ꆚ꒡

I look forward to your future designs Kiss thanks for this game
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2021, 10:34:48 AM »

Hey there so... been awhile. But boy oh boy has it been a wild past few months.

Devolver:

So I have been looking to find a publisher for the game. The bottom line is the game needs some help to get to where it could be not just in funding, design, and building the game but in marketing, PR, etc. So I took a month or so to put together a slick pitch deck and send out to a few publishers. Devolver has a web portal for submitting pitch info and so I filled it out and sent everything over.

A month went by... no response. So I sent a follow-up email and got a response from Nigel (Devolver co-founder). He said the game looked cool and it had potential, but that their release schedule over the next year-ish was already overloaded and so they weren't interested in it at that time.

Another month went by... and then I got a new email from one of Devolver's scouts saying the game was cool:

This person was filtering through the submission portal and came across my game independently from Nigel so I guess that's why he reached out. Of course I didn't say anything about that haha! Unfortunately after some back and forth I think they were just too busy in the time period I was thinking to release (early next year). However, when something like this happens it feels super validating that like... the game might actually be good? It's something every developer goes through. You get so close to your creation that even if you tried you can't really see the flaws anymore.

Big Indie Pitch:

So around this same time I submitted to show the game at Pocket Gamer's Big Indie Pitch (PC + Console). And... I won 1st! haha It was a really cool experience and it was my first time pitching so I'm batting 1.000 right now  Hand Clap You can see my pitch here: Hiro's Escape Big Indie Pitch.

Beyond that I have been working on the game and having some conversations with publishers here and there, but we'll see where things go. ttyl -Ninth

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2021, 02:51:04 PM »

Just asking: what do publishers do for you in a world where you can just throw your game on itch.io or something?
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2021, 08:04:04 PM »

Just asking: what do publishers do for you in a world where you can just throw your game on itch.io or something?
Marketing. Some of them also provide/coordinate QA and porting-type stuff.
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2021, 08:26:08 AM »

Marketing. Some of them also provide/coordinate QA and porting-type stuff.

I think it just depends on what your goals are. If your goal is to try for a commercially-minded release like mine, a publisher can offer opportunities and expertise that position the game well for the right audience. I have barely enough time to market the game or do PR, so having a publisher to take on some of that responsibility, to say nothing of helping the game get out the door in a solid state.

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2021, 09:28:53 AM »

Yeah, tried that and it might work if your game stands out from the beginning, but in my case there were 0 sales. So I guess the marketing was missing. Or the game was bad. Probably both. Xd

I think Hiro's Escape has that little something that makes it stand out just by looking at a small GIF of it and it might work out to just throw it into some shops.
But if the publishers are providing QA as well, that is a big bonus.

I'm really in awe of others who are brave enough to approach publishers. I wish you the best of luck with this! Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2021, 09:53:12 AM »

The quality of your games is definitely publisher worthy too RealScaniX. You just happen to tackle unique niche genres that most publishers are afraid of...

We need an underground label for games Wink
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2021, 10:30:52 AM »

Well, this community isn't a bad start. We could offer some QA to each other. But I guess most of the indie devs are shy people that have no idea how to do marketing. ^^

Will stop hijacking this thread now. Smiley

I've seen "devolver" in the thread title and thought that you've gotten them as a publisher already. That's a cool pitch. Did you hear back from the other publishers you contacted?

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic