Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:03:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioBass audio and Laptop Speakers
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bass audio and Laptop Speakers  (Read 2951 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2019, 09:49:34 AM »

I'm working on a new trailer for my project, and part of it includes a bass "sting". And I'm reasonably happy with the sound of it, I think. However, I've stumbled upon a problem: my laptop speakers don't reproduce the sound at all, as far as I hear. (To be clear: the sound is perfectly audible in my headphones.)

My question, then, is this: is the problem in question one that I should do something about?

On the one hand, I want people listening to the trailer to hear the intended audio, to some degree at least.

On the other, my (admittedly only one thus far) attempt to mix in a less bassy sound wasn't satisfactory to me--and a part of me feels that I shouldn't worry about the case of someone listening on so poor a set of speakers as those in my laptop.

What do you think? Is it a good idea to dedicate time and effort towards producing a sting that is audible even on laptop speakers, or should I write off such speakers as something to be concerned about?

Labbed
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 05:34:59 PM »

For important gameplay signals you should definitely make sure they can be heard on those speakers. For part of a trailer, ehh, maybe it's not terribly important.

If you want bass sounds to be heard on bad speakers, you could add some subtle "sharpness" to it (sawtooth/square wave-like sounds). You still won't feel the oomph on those poor speakers, but at least it can be heard.

The purpose of Hadoukens is to block other Hadoukens.
LabChirp! | SASOD!
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 10:51:28 AM »

Use subtitles. *loud bass thump*

Make the screen shake.

Sorry, that's all I got.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »

Thank you both for your answers! ^_^

For important gameplay signals you should definitely make sure they can be heard on those speakers.

While this thread is  related to a trailer, that's a good point: I'm not sure that I've tested my actual game's sounds on the laptop speakers. Thank you for mentioning that!

For part of a trailer, ehh, maybe it's not terribly important.

Fair enough--not something to worry overmuch about, then.

If you want bass sounds to be heard on bad speakers, you could add some subtle "sharpness" to it (sawtooth/square wave-like sounds). You still won't feel the oomph on those poor speakers, but at least it can be heard.

Still, I might try what you describe above! I did try mixing in a higher-pitched version of the main sound (a sort of gong-like effect), but wasn't happy with sound of the result. But then again, I did only perform one experiment, and didn't try quite what you suggest above...

Use subtitles. *loud bass thump*

Hmm... I'm not sure that I want to include subtitles in a trailer, unless it's in the form of closed captioning. It's something to consider, although I hesitate to commit to including them in videos in general (as I'd likely want to do if I included them in one video)...

Make the screen shake.

There's already a visual cue along with the sound--the image suddenly tattering into shreds of mist, and evanescing away. the sound is intended to underscore and give weight to it.

See here:

Before the tattering away, music is swelling, seemingly to something good--then suddenly the scene is torn away, accompanied by a gong-like sound.

Sorry, that's all I got.

Not a problem! I do appreciate the suggestions. ^_^

Mark @ SONiC Fuel
Level 0

Driving your interactive audio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 06:39:49 AM »

1) Harmonic distortion to add some mid frequencies to reinforce the bass

2) Duplicate the bass and transpose it an octave higher, EQ to massage in to the mix.

Making noise for the past 27 years!
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 11:48:55 AM »

Can you upload only the clip audio where there is the bass part? I want to try it on my laptop just for curiosity!  Grin

Games:

laneyman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 10:12:46 AM »

When mixing cut off all frequency data below 20 to 100 hertz. It will help with clarity on the overall sound, and remove a lot of unwanted rumble artifacts.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic