Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1371749 Posts in 64653 Topics- by 56783 Members - Latest Member: Blodvad

January 19, 2020, 03:00:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDesigning an FPS level and details in large spaces.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Designing an FPS level and details in large spaces.  (Read 703 times)
Hardus
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2019, 01:00:00 AM »

Hello everyone,,
It turns acquiring a 3D game level is harder than I realized.

Eventhough creating 3D characters requires a set of skills not everyone posses, it seems good 3D game levels or FPS levels are even harder to come by.

I have been buying 3D assets for my game in places like Turbo Squid and the 3D studio. There arn't that many options, but it's not too difficult to find a nice 3D model here and there.

A good 3D FPS level is harder to come by. You just don't get to see many complete levels, it some how makes more sense to sell you pieces so you could create your own levels.
But even when you have those pieces, constructing a level from them is not an easy task.

I need FPS levels but it seems a whole long process to create one. You first need to think of a level design, then you need to draw a "sketch" of it, then test it and if all goes well you somehow need to magically transform the sketch into a beautifully detailed level.

So... please give suggestion how to acquire well designed and visually appealing FPS levels. If you know of a place that is "FPS level garage" that sell complete levels please share.

Labbed
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 05:22:40 PM »

I don't think a level is something you could/should just buy as a completed piece. Levels are usually carefully crafted to fit the setting, story, and mechanics of the game. Maybe you could commission someone to create a level for your game instead?

The purpose of Hadoukens is to block other Hadoukens.
LabChirp! | SASOD!
InfiniteGamesDS
Level 0

It's mee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 12:20:18 AM »

Hey There! I believe you can get some artist to help you with 3D, i have a friend of mine who helps me with the 3D and level design while i code the game, each one of us thinks differently but i believe you should avoid to use any level prefab out there and put your level idea on paper, then get somebody to help you with the design of it, cause you are right, making a good level is very hard.

If you are solo developer and you are starting my recommendation is that one, other solution is to work hard in the level by your own hand, something i do mostly myself and trust me is not that hard, but something incredibly frustating, however if you focus in make a fun level and do tons of testing, you will make a great level at the end.

By the way, if you want to use level prefabs, i know Asset Store from unity, i never heard of FPS level garage.

Don't give up! Good luck  Coffee My Word!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic