Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:29:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHow does this 1st person hack'n'slash idea sound?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How does this 1st person hack'n'slash idea sound?  (Read 1781 times)
Monolyth Himself
Level 0

Hey guys, Mono here.

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2019, 06:08:01 PM »

Hi guys, I've been working on a little something, and I heard that one sentence pitches are key to explaining your idea.

Here is the line as I tweeted it. Any thoughts?

Also, what are you working on? Post in the comments and I can give an opinion if you want.

"Its like an Arkham game, except its in 1st Person and your main weapon is Dracula's whip"

is the above line descriptive enough? Or should I say,

"Its a 1st person hack'n' slash inspired by CastleVania and Batman Arkham games"

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 01:27:17 PM »

That could be a great AAA game but a description of a game that is comparable to Castle Vania or Batman is less than 1% of the job there so its not too valuable.

For example: "Its like GTA but in space and the space cops can chase you from planet to planet" I'm 100% sure that game would be a hit *IF* it were executed well, had enough content, had the tech stuff functioning right, had good graphics, had good characters and story, had interesting weapons, had a really good physics setup, had interesting space travel... the list is very long of what that game would need.

Its a cool exercise to do 1 sentence game descriptions just because any game designer who has any talent should be able to describe a new hit game in 1 sentence easily. But its just the smallest part of the work of making a game. Writing a one sentence game description of a game that could be made with a tiny team and a shoestring budget of money and time is a much tougher exercise.

Monolyth Himself
Level 0

Hey guys, Mono here.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 04:54:29 PM »

Thank you for the response, I understand everything you're saying.
I've always been a firm believer that the execution of the idea is better than the idea on its own, trouble is, if you want to get ahead when it comes to marketing and even pitching to a publisher, the 1 sentence exercise is unavoidable. If I could let gameplay speak for itself I would. Either way,thanks for your time.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 09:49:15 AM »

I prefer the 2nd sentence, " It is like an Arkham game" gives me too many question marks, expecially if you say it is in 1st person.   Roll Eyes

Games:

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 07:41:08 PM »

Skyrim could be an example of a game that's sort of like this. There is first person hack and slash combat, basically the big innovation here is the whip in first person. Which is interesting to think of a first person game where you whip stuff.

But what is your main character? What is their motivation? Just to have fun lets design an AAA game. Who is the bad guy, what is the conflict for this whip er snapper? Is there communication with other characters? Can the main character talk? Is it linear or non linear? Are there other weapons besides the whip? Is it a stealth game?

TonyLi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 01:06:11 PM »

Can you phrase it without referencing other games? This serves two purposes:

1. It doesn't bias the listener in case they have a negative opinion of the referenced game, and

2. It forces the description to really say what it is.

For example: "A first-person hack'n'slash game using rhythm-based combat with a whip."

It lays out the perspective (first-person), level/enemy/encounter layout (hack'n'slash), gameplay controls (rhythm-based), and weapon hook (whip). Just saying "Arkham game" can be ambiguous; does it mean rhythm-based combat or something else?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic